Swing Speed / Shaft Flex / 7 iron = ???

TMElectric

Banned
Reaction score
Handicap
My swing speed with the 7 iron is around 84-86. I have CFS regular flex shaft in my I-20's and only hit my 7 iron 150-160 yards. I feel I can step it up on the speed if needed. I consciously slow it down for a smoother swing. I am seeing guys on here hitting 8 irons 170 -180 yards. Is this normal?

My question is what is your swing speed, shaft flex, and yardage with the 7 iron? Please be honest because I am contemplating changing my shafts to a stiff flex, if needed and start cranking them out, if I can, IF my average yardage is not average.

Why are you comparing yourself to what other "internet" golfers are hitting?

And according to some study done by I think the USGA? Your 7i distance is average. 150yds.

Play your game and don't be swayed by what other people are doing/saying!

No, it's not normal. The most I've ever got out of a 7 iron was 90mph/170 yards and that was mid-lesson when the stars all aligned at once. I wouldn't put much stock into what others have for flex either. Lots more goes into it than just swing speed.

I would not worry so much about what others are hitting for distances. Given that you are speaking of smooth swings and you are hitting the ball well and to a distance that you know, outside of a fitting, I would not recommend a change.

Where did you buy the i20's? The best thing you can do is go somewhere that has a fitting cart or find a demo day and try a bunch of different shafts. Hit the stiff and see what the results are. Good luck!

I hit my 7 iron 150 yards and my swing speed is low 90s for my irons and I use a regular flex for my irons. I tend to slow it down but I could use Regular+ like Project X 5.5 rifle shafts-I got fitted for these and I have et to get them. I would recommend getting fitted for iron shafts and wait until you get new irons for new shafts because single shaft upgrades get expensive!

Why are you comparing yourself to what other "internet" golfers are hitting?

And according to some study done by I think the USGA? Your 7i distance is average. 150yds.

Play your game and don't be swayed by what other people are doing/saying!

:thumb: :clapp: Could not say it any better.

I appreciate all of the responses.I am desperately trying to break the 80's club and join the 70's. I seam to be stuck at 84 and I guess I am grasping for anything that might help. Golf is funny that way to me. I know my swing is smooth and I can hit it straighter when I just pretend like I am "just laying up" and 150 -160 yards is a good average. But for some reason, I want to mess it all up by swinging harder. Go figure. Dang I like this game.

Realize first that some of these guys posting these wild yardage numbers are just very big people, nothing you do if you are of average size or under is likely to match what they can do because of their size and strength. Also some of them are most likely also playing golf at a higher elevation than you are which also makes a big difference, the ball travels farther because the air is thin and dry - the higher you go the farther the ball goes. You can play just about anywhere hitting a 7 iron 160 yards. What matters is not how far you hit the ball but how many greens you hit or miss during a round with that 7i. Most of the best players I have ever played with in my life were not big hitters but they could hit a 5i closer to the pin from 160 yards than I could hit a PW from 120 yards. Distance in golf is overrated, accuracy is king.

For what it's worth my 7 iron speed is 75-80 and I have the CFS in regular flex hardstepped once. My 7 iron carry is 135-140 yards.

yeah it sounds about right cause i am mid to low 90's swing speed and am hitting 165-175 with my 7 iron and i am playing a stiff shaft if you want to see what stiffness you should be using for a rough estimate i would check out the KBS web site and do an iron test shaft fitting http://kbsgolfshafts.com/fit-system like i said its a rough estimate for what stiffness you should use but like achase215 said you should go to a demo or find a fitting center. and getting properly fitted could be the best thing that you can do for your game

My swing speed with the 7 iron is around 84-86. I have CFS regular flex shaft in my I-20's and only hit my 7 iron 150-160 yards. I feel I can step it up on the speed if needed. I consciously slow it down for a smoother swing. I am seeing guys on here hitting 8 irons 170 -180 yards. Is this normal?

My question is what is your swing speed, shaft flex, and yardage with the 7 iron? Please be honest because I am contemplating changing my shafts to a stiff flex, if needed and start cranking them out, if I can, IF my average yardage is not average.

You should get fitted for sure.
But on a side-note, no one else but you knows what club you take on a shot, you can just pretend its a lower club. And 170-180 8 iron is pretty darn long, even Tiger only hits his 8 iron around 160 on a normal shot.

other people's numbers don't mean anything (especially on the internet). if you feel it could help, find a place with the mizuno shaft optimizer. it takes less than 10 minutes and gives you the top 3 iron shafts for your swing. great place to start

I think the best point in this thread is that you know what your distance is, it's reliable and you're hitting it well. No need to change at all. A fitting could fine tune it more, but it's just another learning curve. It sounds like you're not needing any adjustments. Who am I to talk though lol. I love changing things up :)

I think the best point in this thread is that you know what your distance is, it's reliable and you're hitting it well. No need to change at all. A fitting could fine tune it more, but it's just another learning curve. It sounds like you're not needing any adjustments. Who am I to talk though lol. I love changing things up :)

I'm with the man, the myth, the legend here.

Know your distances and play your distances, who gives a rip about the others?

I'm with the man, the myth, the legend here.

Know your distances and play your distances, who gives a rip about the others?

Exactly! I go from hitting a 7i 165 to 150 on a good shot but as long as I know its there... Money :) Its aboot feeling comfy :)

Don't worry about what others hit their 7i. In fact, don't worry at all about length with irons. Worry about having proper gaps between clubs and hitting accurate shots. Means nothing how long the irons are if they aren't hitting greens.

I think your fine with your distance the important thing to lower your score is being able to hit the green. So for what it's worth here are way's I think you could get more distance.
1. a shaft fitting
2. lessons
3. golf specific exercise
4. bend your irons stronger
after all that you might get 10 more yards but I still think your fine

I'm exactly sure what my swing speed is with a 7 iron but I can tell you it is my 175-182 club. I play KBS C-taper X shafts. I think what a lot of guys have said here so far are great, play your game not someone else's.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's difficult to know what to say honestly...you wrote above that your aim was to get from 84 (which is what you are currently shooting) to the 70's...the yardage you seem to be getting from your 7i seems fine (in fact it's very long)...if you really want to get to the 70's from the 80's, then it's a question of analyzing your scores every time you go out (maybe over 10 rounds) and then to see where you're losing strokes. If you're hitting a 7i, 170,then distance with your irons isn't the problem...how many greens are you hitting in regulation, how many drives on the fairway (and how long) how far from the pin are your approach shots on average, how many pars do you save when you get into a bunker, and mist importantly, how many putts on average a round (hit for show putt for dough just isn't a saying...its very true)...you get the idea...so I would suggest analyzing your next 10 rounds, seeing where you lose the most strokes n average and then making a list of things, in order of areas which need improvement (descending order)...then go out and practice like hell to get better!

There's more to distance than just swing speed. It is swing speed + launch angle + spin that creates carry distance. The idea is to get all of those optimal to one another. My carry distance avg with my i20/CFS combo 7iron is like 164 yards but I hit my 7iron on the course from anywhere from 145-175 yards out. On course depends on so many elements that must be factored in.

I'm in the same boat, but distance isn't everything. It is knowing your game and sticking to your game plan. Do you think LPGA'ers hit it that much further than us? No! There are other aspects to your game that only you can control. I let some of buddies out drive me all day, but the way to combat that is stick your driver in the fairway and then stick the green. That will piss them off all the time.

I wouldn't change anything in your setup and just let your course management and strategy and beat your opponents and Internet golfers by showing up at the course and showing no mercy. You can do it!

I hit my 7 iron 140-150 but that's because I changed to a set with higher lofts and shorter shafts to try and get more accuracy. My old set I could hit my 7 iron 150-160

wow, I've been using Regular flex on my irons and I hit my 7 iron 150 but I can sometimes hit a hook with my irons so today I got my swing speed measured and my Driver swing broke 100 and my iron swing was about 93 so I got fit for a new set of irons in stiff. I was surprised.

Back