Swing Speed / Shaft Flex / 7 iron = ???

wow, I've been using Regular flex on my irons and I hit my 7 iron 150 but I can sometimes hit a hook with my irons so today I got my swing speed measured and my Driver swing broke 100 and my iron swing was about 93 so I got fit for a new set of irons in stiff. I was surprised.

Please let me know if the stiffer irons helps eliminate the hook. Out if 10 - 7 iron hits, 5 goes straight, 5 has a hook for me.

Thanks all for your replies. I really don't play golf by what people do on the internet. This is not a bad thing though. That is why we ALL come to this forum. I was just asking what your swing speed and distance was to compare mine to see if a stiffer shaft would help. I know to get fitted, just looking for some comparisons from people on this golf forum.

I'm with the man, the myth, the legend here.

Know your distances and play your distances, who gives a rip about the others
?

But I thought this was why we all come to this forum. We gather information from the vast majority here or even from just a couple of people that we believe are very knowledgable. In a sense, for this forum to be beneficial, we would have to give a rip about others. Correct me if I am wrong here. This is especially surprising coming from you Jman. I have been reading all your reviews because you take the time to explain the product, situation, how you did something, why you did something. And I find all your reviews to be very enlightening. So much so, I bought my Ping I20's because I did give a rip about others.

This is not a slander post because I have all the utmost respect for you. I have seen though too many times people ask questions on this forum and we just really "pencil whip" the answers when most of the time people all ready know to get fitted, they are just wanting opinions from people on this forum that they do give a rip about. Please correct me if I am wrong here.

To know my distance and play my distance would be like saying know your slice and play your slice would it not? Instead, we would want the person to know your slice and learn how to correct it I believe. If my distance is short, I would want to get it to where it should be. That is why I posted here. Just wanting to know everyones distance and ss

I hit my 7 iron 140-150 but that's because I changed to a set with higher lofts and shorter shafts to try and get more accuracy. My old set I could hit my 7 iron 150-160

This. The shaft trajectory makes a big difference as well. Was talking to my buddy the other night who is a 7 handicapper. He currently hits his Razrx 7 155 yards and has stiff shafts in them. He is looking to move into forged irons and demoed the Taylormade mb's. He was hitting thae TM 9 155 yards. I asked him why and he told me the shaft was certain to have a lower trajectory because he didn't hit the TM 9 as high as he hit the Razr 7.

Got me to thinking a lot about shafts. I have just the stock burner steel in regular flex on my 2.0's. I want to increase my distance as well on my irons, not by much but want to increase them. I hit my 7 around 154 yards. It seems that by increasing my club head speed I increase the height on my shots by a bunch, but the yardage increases very little. My thinking is that is the trajectory of the stepped shafts produces and I am not going to increase the distance unless I switch shafts. Like another poster already stated, I am not switching shafts until I get new clubs because it is expensive.

However, every single soul on this forum is different and has a different swing, one that is there own. This is why it will serve more of a purpose to get fit and see for yourself the difference, that is not "pencil whipping" anything, that's fact.

Beyond that comparisons and thoughts from other on the forum are fine, but fact is some people are not long hitters and some are. Because of that I firmly believe if the "pencil whipped" answer of a fitting isnt enough the focus should be on mastering ones swing and playing the distances he or she gets. I'm shorter than alot on here according to their "distances" but I don't give a flip, I know my yardages and trust that my swing will get my happy butt where I need to go in a streamlined fashion.

Reviewing as well as sharing general knowledge if a club, how to play a shot, or even ideas on how one should fill their gaps and this are different spectrums in my opinion, sorry if that is surprising. I just do not see the relation of telling every detail you can about a club or product for others in a legible manner to help inform someone and what others distances are and why mine aren't the same. The bottom line is that people will always be longer or shorter than you and your 7i due to swing differences as well as loft differences and especially if they were properly fit or not.

Bottom line for ME is it is my personal opinion and I truly don't give a rip about what anyone else's yardages are compared to mine as I don't play their swing, that won't change for ME. Yardages on the internet are a joke, I think this discussion has come up this week, with this you inevitably get the guys who will tell you their swing speed and distances honestly and then the guys who will tell you their 7i was 200mph and they hit it 300 yards on an average day. THAT is why I PERSONALLY don't care about others distances.

It would take alot more than this to make me feel "slandered" on a forum, everyone's opinions are different....just like their distances.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Because I do value your golfing skills and knowledge, may I ask what are your distances with teh 7 iron and your swing speed?

But I do agree with you about every person swings differently and every persons spins his or her on yarns when it comes to the actual distances. After reading these posts, I do feel like 150-160 yards is a good average. Now I just have to get the hook out. I tested my swing speed again last night and I have moved up to the 90 mph range. I just need to slow it down and wait until I need new clubs. Hopefully, the way I am hitting these I20's, it will take a long time.

But I do agree with you about every person swings differently and every persons spins his or her on yarns when it comes to the actual distances. After reading these posts, I do feel like 150-160 yards is a good average. Now I just have to get the hook out. I tested my swing speed again last night and I have moved up to the 90 mph range. I just need to slow it down and wait until I need new clubs. Hopefully, the way I am hitting these I20's, it will take a long time. These are truly great irons

I once got smoked by a 60 year old man in match play who was about 70 yards behind me on every tee shot. He ended up shooting like 4 under par. That was the day I realized distance really meant nothing if you knew your game.

My 5 iron swing speed last measured at 100 mph, so I would guess the 7 iron is pretty close - and my full swing distance on the 7 iron is 170. That said, lately I usually choke down just a little, and hit the 7 iron 160, and get better dispersion control. The total distance you hit your irons means very little - knowing how far you hit each iron and controlling your line means everything.

Anecdote - when I made my double eagle in 2006, it was with a 7 iron from 189 yards, slightly uphill. Sounds impressive, right? Well, it was with a tailwind of maybe 10 mph, and I landed at the front fringe in firm dry conditions and it fed in - carry distance of maybe 175. Point is, conditions can make club distances vary widely, but knowing your carry distances in calm conditions and learning to adjust those yardages to actual playing conditions is the key to good iron play.

Honestly, I think you need Stiff flex shafts. My 7iron average is around 89 mph, my average carry distance was like 164 or something like that and I'm in the Stiff flex. Are you seeing a draw/hook with the regular flex shafts you have now?

Honestly, I think you need Stiff flex shafts. My 7iron average is around 89 mph, my average carry distance was like 164 or something like that and I'm in the Stiff flex. Are you seeing a draw/hook with the regular flex shafts you have now?

Yes I am. I feel like my swing has improved to where maybe a stiff flex will help. I have booked a time at Golf Tec to do a proper evaluation.

It's all in how you load the shaft,2 people can have the same swing speed and one can be 15 yards longer,I use CFS regular and my 7 iron is 165,don't know what switching to stiff would do for me

It's all in how you load the shaft,2 people can have the same swing speed and one can be 15 yards longer,I use CFS regular and my 7 iron is 165,don't know what switching to stiff would do for me
Good point Do you feel like you swing hard or is it more of a smooth swing as to where 40 percent back swing 60 percent forward swing which I feel is what I am doing if this makes any sense

I appreciate all of the responses.I am desperately trying to break the 80's club and join the 70's. I seam to be stuck at 84 and I guess I am grasping for anything that might help. Golf is funny that way to me. I know my swing is smooth and I can hit it straighter when I just pretend like I am "just laying up" and 150 -160 yards is a good average. But for some reason, I want to mess it all up by swinging harder. Go figure. Dang I like this game.

Hitting longer with the 7 iron will not make it easier to break 80.
Being more consistent with distance and dispersion on irons will help you score better.

I once got smoked by a 60 year old man in match play who was about 70 yards behind me on every tee shot. He ended up shooting like 4 under par. That was the day I realized distance really meant nothing if you knew your game.

Bingo. Once played with this 78 year old who was deadly 150 yards in. Laser straight and dialed in distance wise. Chipped and putted well on the rare occasion that he wasn't ten feet from the pin. Shot his age (albeit from the white tees). Made me re-examine my game from the ground up.

Last edited:
Please let me know if the stiffer irons helps eliminate the hook. Out if 10 - 7 iron hits, 5 goes straight, 5 has a hook for me.

Thanks all for your replies. I really don't play golf by what people do on the internet. This is not a bad thing though. That is why we ALL come to this forum. I was just asking what your swing speed and distance was to compare mine to see if a stiffer shaft would help. I know to get fitted, just looking for some comparisons from people on this golf forum.

So today was my first day with my new irons, the 2.0 and 1.0 are very similar as far as distance, when I really let it go I could hit my 7 iron about 150 and today an easy 7 let me hit 150, I don't know if it's because of the 2.0 heads or the shaft being stiffer but I really noticed a great ball flight, before if I hit it hard, the ball would launch really high and now the ball flight is ideal for me. I also noticed that I was able to hit my 4 iron perfectly I've never hit a 4 iron in my life like this. I guess if you can't afford a full fitting, just get your lies and length are correct for you. My swing speed is about 95 with irons and about 100 with my driver, and the only hook I saw was caused by an uphill lie on the rough where the face was closed at impact but besides that, I was straight and long with my irons.

i hit 7 iron 180 when i hit it good. that leaves 8 iron at about 170.
not sure what my 7i SS is, but it's probably around 98? playing reg shafts tho. need stiff+/XStiffs.

i hit my 7 iron to about 165-175 yards i use regular shafts not sure what my ss is but i wouldn't say it was fast but i am 6'1 and have a lot of upper body strength so maybe that helps? everybody i play with say i hit my irons a long way! but i guess everyone is very different and that info is absolutely useless!!!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

TM, have you ever tried stiff shafts before in any of your clubs? I ran into a similar situation a month or so ago. I was starting to get more distance from my driver (regular flex) then suddenly started snap hooking it. So I figured my swing speed might be getting faster as I got more practice and went out and bought a stiff flex driver. I absolutely hated it. I lost yardage and developed a slice.

I now suspect the problem was all the younger guys I was playing with. I was trying so hard to get my drives out there to try and keep up with them, that I was swinging way too hard and losing control. I went back to a regular shaft and now I'm back to cranking out some long (for me) and straight drives.

What I'm getting at is that you need to make sure a stiffer flex will really work for you. If you can, try them out in actual conditions, not just on a launch monitor. The stiff flex driver felt pretty good to me in the store, but once I got it on the course I started to hate pulling it out of my bag.

BTW, I hit my 7I 150-160 as well and that is usually a club shorter than my friends I play with. I try not to even look at what the younger guys are using anymore, that just gets me in trouble.

I appreciate all of the responses.I am desperately trying to break the 80's club and join the 70's. I seam to be stuck at 84 and I guess I am grasping for anything that might help. Golf is funny that way to me. I know my swing is smooth and I can hit it straighter when I just pretend like I am "just laying up" and 150 -160 yards is a good average. But for some reason, I want to mess it all up by swinging harder. Go figure. Dang I like this game.

I concur with what most are saying. If you're hitting your 7 iron 150-160 and straight consistently, messing with flexes to try to gain more yardage isn't going to help you break 80. Stick with what you have confidence in, work on your short game, and be patient. It will happen for you.

Sent via Tapatalk on Android

I really don't understand golf? My swing speed with a driver is 90 mph on a good swing. I have stiff steel shafts in my irons. I hit a 7-iron 147 on a good swing. Someone explain to me how my driver swing speed is what someone else swings a 7-iron swing speed and I hit my 7-iron only a few (5-8) yards shorter than they do?

Last edited:
TM--

To answer your question, I have CFS Stiff in i20s with a 6 iron SS of 85 and CARRY my 7i 145 yards as laser measured and averaged over many, many shots. Attempting to come out of my shoes increases dispersion and results in much greater height with very little distance gain. I MAY revisit a fitting cart and compare a demo 7i with the CFS X to see if it brings my ball flight down or increases by center face contact when I swing a little harder - then again, I may not tinker. I would like to hit it farther but don't really care that I don't and can enjoy myself out to about 6500 yards.

WRT to wanting to break 80 badly, consider the following: Corey Pavin has an average driving distance of 250 yards (total, carry and roll) and regularly breaks par on Champions tour tracks at 6600-6800 yds length. Most LPGA tracks are in the 6300-6500 length (same as most good Muni/Club back tees), average LPGA 7i carry was 141 yards in 2009, and every regular member of the LPGA tour would be a plus handicap from the 6500 yard tees at your home course. This years Women's US Open will play at 6950 yds and most participants will be under 80 while enduring a national championship set-up.

If you want to break 80, go to the driving range/practice facility 5 days a week for 45-60 minutes with nothing but your driver, sand wedge, and putter. You'll break 80 by the middle of August.

I naturally generate a high trajectory with my irons is what the custom fitter noticed. My 7i ss is about 89+/- 2. With my current set of Ping Zing irons/steel/stiff, I usually hit my 7i about 160ish but the distance I need for my shot dictates my ball placement. For distance greater than 160, ill put the ball further back in the stance about 1 to 2". If I need to dial down the distance, I'll move the ball 1 to 2" forward in my normal 7i stance. To me, it's where my hands/irons are at impact without modifying the swing speed. Now, my numbers will change when I get new irons next week. Will have to see what kind of numbers I'll get with the new 7i.

I always hear you get more distance with ball back in your stance a little bit( lower ball flight?) but i always tend to hit the ball further/higher when I play the ball closer to my front foot. For the actual topic 7 swing speed 96 +/- 1, I have true temper x100's.

hi I have just read the comments and just been fitted for a new set of mizuno jpx825 pro irons and the mizuno swing DNA tester had my swing at 80 80 81 and I have a high ball flight and so it came out as DG s300 I generally use a skycaddie and my seven iron is approx 160 yards hope this helps

Back