Swing speed varying from 75 - 89 mph at Golfmart.

orchard53

Reaction score
Wakeup call for me - I believe the numbers as I get a few good drives in a round (220 carry?) but several that don't go very good. So I don't think it's equipment, it's me.
I don't believe the efficiency numbers they showed, seems it was 1.45 majority of time.

During testing, fitting, or a simulator do you see large variations in clubhead speed? What have you done to get more consistent with your driver swing?

At least now I know why when I have a great swing, the ball really flies compared to not so great swings - this happens across all my clubs. My playing partners usually make a comment that the good ones were a really smooth swing, nut I can't tell what I'm doing different. I do recognize the ones where I try to kill the ball.

Thinking about getting a PRGR launch monitor to start capturing data. My one thought so far is reducing tension in arms and shoulders seems to help.

I'm not buying any new driver until I get some consistency.

Let's see some video of what you're doing. It's probably all that you mention as well as some pretty big swing flaws. The speed will come from better technique,

I might recommend you spend money on a tripod to hold your iPhone, and learn how to video yourself and see what you're doing, get some coaching...way more reliable than numbers from a machine.
numbers pretty reliable, they correlated with my drives. I was just in a rut and overthinking my swing, so it wasn't free. I didn't realize how much controlling the swing impacted clubhead speed. Seems right now golf is a mental game for me, need to be able to relax and swing every shot.

just using the WAG theory, I'd guess that your body rotation was fluctuating. A good turn one time, no so good a couple others.

And as some one touched upon, may have been variations in the "looseness" or "tightness" of the swing.

I'm no pro or even a low handicapper(don't play enough) but when I'm ripping off pretty good drives for my 67 year old body, I'm thinking swing fast, not hard.
For me, when I want to swing hard, I tense up and probably hinder a full flowing swing with tight hands and arms.
When I think fast the arms and hands are looser and the release is automatic, I don't initiate it, it just happens

Back