Had a lesson on Friday. We ended with less than 100 yrd pitches. I was doing the Pelz thing. He stopped me and said - "Cut that out." Now this is a guy who collects data. He says, "It's like a free throw in basketball - just look at your target, visualize, and make your stroke. Free yourself up."

Seems to work - my one highlight yesterday was 30-80 yard shots.

He was right because while your concentrating on where your arms/club should be on the backswing you've lost focus on your intended task (ie. external focus cue).

Shawn Clement
"Shawn talks about the “goldilocks” principle. Motor skill learning naturally requires a bit of experimentation so you know what too little, too much and just right is as you swing the club. The Goldilocks approach works on anything regarding the golf swing from set-up and ball position to full swings and putting.

Here he is practicing it.

Last edited:
Had a lesson on Friday. We ended with less than 100 yrd pitches. I was doing the Pelz thing. He stopped me and said - "Cut that out." Now this is a guy who collects data. He says, "It's like a free throw in basketball - just look at your target, visualize, and make your stroke. Free yourself up."

Seems to work - my one highlight yesterday was 30-80 yard shots.
That is basically what I try to do. I do have a predisposition feel sorta for a few different yardages. It works fine, but sometimes, SOMETIMES, I just go blank on the work, force, feel for a shot:confused2:. I just have to make a decision on what I want to do.

Lasst week I was in a scramble. We tied for first at -6 for 9 holes.

The tie breaker was a chip off. The shot: ~35 yards over, OVER a line of mature post oak trees, closest to pin.
The other team went first and no one was on the green.
All we needed was one on the green to win.
I just felt good about and said I'd lead our team off.
Opened up my sand wedge(don't trust my 60°), aimed right(lefty) and took full swing.
My only swing thought was.....stay down(or else I might kill someone)
One shot win baby!
Two or three people asked me if I practice that shot. All the time.;)

Different shots might require different swing thoughts!

Back