Turtlerancher- the human brain controls everything - ...
Except those things that result from the autonomic nervous system.

And, with that, I think I'm out. This thread has kind of gone off the rails <smh>

Last edited:
I think someone's hands take over when they post and don't engage the brain to control the hands!

Seem to leave a controlling factor out of the equation.;)

Might need to educate them to not feed the mouth..er uh keyboard.

Turtlerancher- you can’t be serious ! Please tell me you are just kidding me - putting me on !!!!!!! Can the brain reach in your bag and physically attach itself to the grip and swing at a ball ?
If it doesn’t then what part of the human does it instruct to perform that task ? If not the HANDS please inform me and the millions of others around the Planet what does ?
I anxiously await your answer.
In what part of my post did I say the brain gripped the club?? Myself and maybe 3 others await your all knowing and wise answer! 🙄

Turtlerancher - this is the last time I will reply to this. I have stated these FACTS as clearly as I possibly can———
Memory and millions of messages are stored in the brain. The brain is constantly sending these messages and receiving messages to and from it’s extremities to perform task that are in our subconscious mind where most are. However, many task require a learned conscious effort . I refer to the hands as our * external brains * which are responsible for carrying out order they receive from it’s boss - the ( President / Commander - in - Chief . ) Once the HANDS ( Generals) receive their instructions they pass out orders to the troops ( aka - ( body ) to carry out the plan. AND - since no part ( 0 ) is dedicated to them they will perform exactly as they are instructed by the HANDS a of which more than 40 % of the brain is dedicated to .
That’s what I perceive as being factual albeit In layman terms obviously! If you don’t perceive it as being factual and if some use to your game just DELETE it . I am an adult and I refuse to reply with snarky childish remarks as some do.
Great to hear from you and I would appreciate you informing me where you think I am incorrect. We can certainly discuss that .
Thanks

Both Sides of the Brain Are Active During One-Sided Arm Movement
Researchers directly recorded neural activity in both sides of the brain’s cortex during the movement of only one arm in humans.
Anna Azvolinsky
Oct 8, 2018

ABOVE: Artistic rendering of the locations and encoding strength (increasing from white to red) of neural activity recorded from electrodes on human subjects' brains.
DAVID BUNDY AND ERIC LEUTHARDT
When you move only your right arm, there’s neural activity in both the left and right sides of the brain, researchers report today (October 8) in The Journal of Neuroscience.

Recent animal and human studies have hinted that moving muscle on only one side of the body resulted in neural activity from the same side—or ipsilateral—part of the brain. But the data haven’t been convincing enough to completely erase the idea that only the left side of the brain is responsible for movement on the right side of the body or vice versa. The new study shows the ipsilateral brain activity encodes detailed arm movement information including position, speed, and velocity. The results could one day be used to help improve recovery therapies for patients with brain injuries.

Brain active for arm movement

1627736157723.jpeg

anatomy

Last edited:
Turtlerancher - this is the last time I will reply to this.
PROMISE?

Once the HANDS ( Generals) receive their instructions they pass out orders to the troops ( aka - ( body ) to carry out the plan.
So, when I begin my downswing pivot, my brain tells my hands what it wants my body to do, then the hands take over from there. It's not my brain telling the muscles in my lower body to fire, to begin the downswing sequence, but my hands?

Do you have any kind of peer-reviewed or otherwise credible source for this assertion?

That’s what I perceive as being factual ...
Waitaminute! You've been promulgating this whole "hands control it all and the hands' behavior is genetically coded" from what you perceive as being "factual?" Srsly? Not any actual, you know, established facts, or theories or hypotheses from credible people in relevant fields of study?

IOW: You're making it all up out of whole cloth? It's OSAF (Opinion Stated As Fact)?

Last edited:
Both Sides of the Brain Are Active During One-Sided Arm Movement
Researchers directly recorded neural activity in both sides of the brain’s cortex during the movement of only one arm in humans.
Anna Azvolinsky
Oct 8, 2018

ABOVE: Artistic rendering of the locations and encoding strength (increasing from white to red) of neural activity recorded from electrodes on human subjects' brains.
DAVID BUNDY AND ERIC LEUTHARDT
When you move only your right arm, there’s neural activity in both the left and right sides of the brain, researchers report today (October 8) in The Journal of Neuroscience.

Recent animal and human studies have hinted that moving muscle on only one side of the body resulted in neural activity from the same side—or ipsilateral—part of the brain. But the data haven’t been convincing enough to completely erase the idea that only the left side of the brain is responsible for movement on the right side of the body or vice versa. The new study shows the ipsilateral brain activity encodes detailed arm movement information including position, speed, and velocity. The results could one day be used to help improve recovery therapies for patients with brain injuries.

Brain active for arm movement

View attachment 9019755

anatomy
R,
Thanks for sharing . Who knows - we have some incredibly intelligent people who might discover those before them had it all wrong. That won’t be me , but I suppose I’ll stick with the present knowledge presented to us. Who knows what future discoveries will come.
My Father - in - Law was born right handed , but lost that arm as a young man. Obviously, he had to learn to use his left hand and arm to perform everyday functions. Cutting meat and food to eat was quite a challenge fir him. Writing left handed was particularly difficult Even when he was in his 80’s - 90’s .
When he used his left arm the nub on right arm would be involuntarily working hard as it was genetically designed to . I understand that what I post is exactly opposite of today‘s normal golf instruction and I will be called an old fool , a troll saying stupid stuff. No problem- I just stick with what has been proven factual And that has worked to make me a very good striker if the ball. Genetics RULE - in human motion !
I am going to check out this study . Maybe I’ll learn something.

So is it the hand or the brain that causes this reaction to some of the post in here? 🤣

R,
Thanks for sharing . Who knows - we have some incredibly intelligent people who might discover those before them had it all wrong. That won’t be me , but I suppose I’ll stick with the present knowledge presented to us. Who knows what future discoveries will come.
My Father - in - Law was born right handed , but lost that arm as a young man. Obviously, he had to learn to use his left hand and arm to perform everyday functions. Cutting meat and food to eat was quite a challenge fir him. Writing left handed was particularly difficult Even when he was in his 80’s - 90’s .
When he used his left arm the nub on right arm would be involuntarily working hard as it was genetically designed to . I understand that what I post is exactly opposite of today‘s normal golf instruction and I will be called an old fool , a troll saying stupid stuff. No problem- I just stick with what has been proven factual And that has worked to make me a very good striker if the ball. Genetics RULE - in human motion !
I am going to check out this study . Maybe I’ll learn something.
So, I am left-handed. I shot the bow lh for ~30 years. My right eye is my dominant eye. One day I decided to switch to shooting right handed.
It took about a week to feel natural. Now lh seems unnatural.

Okay, we’ll see how this goes. An ‘adult’, as you call yourself, is willing to be wrong, to listen, to learn, and to adjust the model for how things work.

1. Memory and millions of messages are stored in the brain.
-OKAY so far.

2. The brain is constantly sending these messages and receiving messages to and from it’s extremities to perform task that are in our subconscious mind where most are.
-WRONG. If interested, I would start by looking up what automaticity is and where it comes from and how we develop it versus what the subconscious mind is. If we are using different terms then our model will not be the same. There are established terms used by the majority of people in a field so this does not happen. While the goal is to keep things as simple as possible, sufficient specificity is needed as ones understanding progresses.

3. However, many task require a learned conscious effort .
-EHHH. Other than reflexes, learned tasks require effort for development. The whole conscious-unconscious-subconscious part is a nut I won’t try to crack here.

4. I refer to the hands as our * external brains * which are responsible for carrying out order they receive from it’s boss - the ( President / Commander - in - Chief . )
-WRONG. No integration, a key role of our central nervous system, happens in the hands. When you make statements like these it exposes where you are in your understanding of how the body and brain work. This isn’t a bad thing, it is just where you are. The great thing about our brain and body is we can continue to develop if we choose to. See #3 above, as you state.

5. Once the HANDS ( Generals) receive their instructions they pass out orders to the troops ( aka - ( body ) to carry out the plan.
-WRONG. All the action of something like the golf swing is coordinated in different parts of the central nervous system. That includes the parts of our cortex that have been descriptively presented as a homunculus. But that is all that is, a map of where sensory inputs go and motor inputs originate. If you have a lot of sensory input from a region and/or have a lot of muscles needed for dextrous control (e.g. hands) then those areas will be represented as larger on the homunculus ’map’.

6. AND - since no part ( 0 ) is dedicated to them they will perform exactly as they are instructed by the HANDS a of which more than 40 % of the brain is dedicated to .
-WRONG. 40% of the brain is not dedicated to the hands. Please see #5 if you are still interested in learning and understanding are more than a layman’s level.

7. That’s what I perceive as being factual albeit In layman terms obviously!
-Given only #1 and #3 are factual, do you see how your model of how things work may not be getting any traction? (I should note I work in a field where facts (aka data) are real and theories are based on evidence (1st principles and data) and seen as separate from opinion. While there might be multiple sides to an opinion. there are not multiple sides of facts and evidence.)

If you don’t perceive it as being factual and if some use to your game just DELETE it .
-I have mentally deleted #2, 4, 5, 6, and 7.

I am an adult and I refuse to reply with snarky childish remarks as some do.
-You are welcome to reply to the above. Your response will help us evaluate whether you are an adult or childish.

Great to hear from you and I would appreciate you informing me where you think I am incorrect.
-I’m not Turtlerancher, but I am informing you.

We can certainly discuss that .
-Looking forward to it.

Thanks

Okay, we’ll see how this goes. An ‘adult’, as you call yourself, is willing to be wrong, to listen, to learn, and to adjust the model for how things work.

1. Memory and millions of messages are stored in the brain.
-OKAY so far.

2. The brain is constantly sending these messages and receiving messages to and from it’s extremities to perform task that are in our subconscious mind where most are.
-WRONG. If interested, I would start by looking up what automaticity is and where it comes from and how we develop it versus what the subconscious mind is. If we are using different terms then our model will not be the same. There are established terms used by the majority of people in a field so this does not happen. While the goal is to keep things as simple as possible, sufficient specificity is needed as ones understanding progresses.

3. However, many task require a learned conscious effort .
-EHHH. Other than reflexes, learned tasks require effort for development. The whole conscious-unconscious-subconscious part is a nut I won’t try to crack here.

4. I refer to the hands as our * external brains * which are responsible for carrying out order they receive from it’s boss - the ( President / Commander - in - Chief . )
-WRONG. No integration, a key role of our central nervous system, happens in the hands. When you make statements like these it exposes where you are in your understanding of how the body and brain work. This isn’t a bad thing, it is just where you are. The great thing about our brain and body is we can continue to develop if we choose to. See #3 above, as you state.

5. Once the HANDS ( Generals) receive their instructions they pass out orders to the troops ( aka - ( body ) to carry out the plan.
-WRONG. All the action of something like the golf swing is coordinated in different parts of the central nervous system. That includes the parts of our cortex that have been descriptively presented as a homunculus. But that is all that is, a map of where sensory inputs go and motor inputs originate. If you have a lot of sensory input from a region and/or have a lot of muscles needed for dextrous control (e.g. hands) then those areas will be represented as larger on the homunculus ’map’.

6. AND - since no part ( 0 ) is dedicated to them they will perform exactly as they are instructed by the HANDS a of which more than 40 % of the brain is dedicated to .
-WRONG. 40% of the brain is not dedicated to the hands. Please see #5 if you are still interested in learning and understanding are more than a layman’s level.

7. That’s what I perceive as being factual albeit In layman terms obviously!
-Given only #1 and #3 are factual, do you see how your model of how things work may not be getting any traction? (I should note I work in a field where facts (aka data) are real and theories are based on evidence (1st principles and data) and seen as separate from opinion. While there might be multiple sides to an opinion. there are not multiple sides of facts and evidence.)

If you don’t perceive it as being factual and if some use to your game just DELETE it .
-I have mentally deleted #2, 4, 5, 6, and 7.

I am an adult and I refuse to reply with snarky childish remarks as some do.
-You are welcome to reply to the above. Your response will help us evaluate whether you are an adult or childish.

Great to hear from you and I would appreciate you informing me where you think I am incorrect.
-I’m not Turtlerancher, but I am informing you.

We can certainly discuss that .
-Looking forward to it.

Thanks
MiG- I would certainly like to discuss this with you . It seems you are certainly more knowledgeable than me . Do you agree or disagree with Dr’s Penfield’s and Rasmussen‘s description and illustrations on their discoveries of * Little Man * ( Cortical Homunculus ) ? Do you believe their research and medical papers to be incorrect ? If they are incorrect where did they go wrong ?
Great to hear from you !

So, I am left-handed. I shot the bow lh for ~30 years. My right eye is my dominant eye. One day I decided to switch to shooting right handed.
It took about a week to feel natural. Now lh seems unnatural.
R- I have a young friend who plays on a college golf team who is naturally left handed , but plays as a righty . He can also hit it amazingly well as a leftie with just about the same swing speed, but not near as well when a righty.
How some golfers and baseball hitters do that is beyond me ? Just superior talent and superior genes is all I can think of !

PROMISE?

So, when I begin my downswing pivot, my brain tells my hands what it wants my body to do, then the hands take over from there. It's not my brain telling the muscles in my lower body to fire, to begin the downswing sequence, but my hands?

Do you have any kind of peer-reviewed or otherwise credible source for this assertion?

Waitaminute! You've been promulgating this whole "hands control it all and the hands' behavior is genetically coded" from what you perceive as being "factual?" Srsly? Not any actual, you know, established facts, or theories or hypotheses from credible people in relevant fields of study?

IOW: You're making it all up out of whole cloth? It's OSAF (Opinion Stated As Fact)?
Duffer- if our most brilliant Neurologist and researchers have discovered and put it out for all to learn that the majority of the brain is dedicated to it’s head and extremities aka - HANDS and ARMS and Science and test have proven that the DS ONLY consumes 2/10 seconds ( 200 milliseconds) - and knowing that the human brain can ONLY perform ONE (1) task in that very short period of time - and knowing the HANDS are the only attachment to the human body - why would we want to send any signal to the lower torso- when it takes 1/0 second for the brain to send that signal - and specifically what part to send it to ?
Besides - if you swing naturally at that ball down your feet that wonderful computer on top of your head will instruct you incorrectly BC
“” GOLF SWING ** is not in its DNA and it will perform just as 99% of players do . Out and around to throw, hit , release .
It is a learned conscious effort and if you are not willing to accept that then you are rejecting a quote from arguably on of the best players in history. I quote Ben Hogan , “ if a player would swing exactly opposite the way he thinks he should he would have a pretty good golf swing !”
Just my thoughts and may be entirely different from yours .

Lane, Penfield and Rasmussen's mapping efforts of the sensory and motor cortex were useful for understanding where information flows to and from in the brain. It is where our knowledge was in 1950. Lots of information flows from the hands to the brain, and from the brain to the hands. This physiological capacity (the physiology is driven by our genetics during development, and the genetics shaped by evolutionary selection on the physiology) of the hands has been important for our species success, and our brains have developed neural capacity for this. That is all that is represented in their little man.

Other parts of our body do not need the sensitivity or dexterity and are therefore show less representation on the cortex map. But that doesn't mean those parts aren't essential for effective movements. They just don't need the very fine sensitivity or control that our hands have with all their sensors and muscles. Maybe a joint movement only needs two opposing muscle groups. By effectively controlling both muscle groups (one contracting and the other resisting that motion) we can coordinate movements at the rates needed. Those areas with few sensory and motor neurons will not be represented on Penfield and Rasmussen's map, but again, that doesn't mean the coordination of that joint isn't essential to a movement.

To me, the sin qua non of any movement where humans generate high speed (throwing, swinging, kicking) is effective torso rotation. When I think from a hands perspective, with their many muscles, which are relatively weak, and wide range of options, they are the last thing I want active or to be focused on. They bring a lot of variability into the swing.

If one effectively rotates their torso then the hands can hold on. The hands will follow. If the torso stalls out early then things like over the top and a flip release will happen, which I think you are getting at in your posts. Thinking about how the club moves around their body or where are at impact or where their palms should face and such CAN help a specific individual improve their torso rotation. For some. For those of us who teach, we know connecting with them through visuals only works if the visual generates the right response [especially encouraging effective torso rotation and less hand manipulation (e.g. letting position and momentum shallow the club)]. And that can be really specific to the individual.

These visuals and imagery and feels are where this can creep back to being appropriate to the swing thoughts part of the thread? I'm guessing @PhatJohnny has left the building by now...
MiG- so the torso rotation controls the HANDS . Their only job is to - hold the club! The rotation of the torso is the key !

• Appreciation
Reactions: mig

:)

Lane, Penfield and Rasmussen's mapping efforts of the sensory and motor cortex were useful for understanding where information flows to and from in the brain. It is where our knowledge was in 1950. Lots of information flows from the hands to the brain, and from the brain to the hands. This physiological capacity (the physiology is driven by our genetics during development, and the genetics shaped by evolutionary selection on the physiology) of the hands has been important for our species success, and our brains have developed neural capacity for this. That is all that is represented in their little man.

Other parts of our body do not need the sensitivity or dexterity and are therefore show less representation on the cortex map. But that doesn't mean those parts aren't essential for effective movements. They just don't need the very fine sensitivity or control that our hands have with all their sensors and muscles. Maybe a joint movement only needs two opposing muscle groups. By effectively controlling both muscle groups (one contracting and the other resisting that motion) we can coordinate movements at the rates needed. Those areas with few sensory and motor neurons will not be represented on Penfield and Rasmussen's map, but again, that doesn't mean the coordination of that joint isn't essential to a movement.

To me, the sin qua non of any movement where humans generate high speed (throwing, swinging, kicking) is effective torso rotation. When I think from a hands perspective, with their many muscles, which are relatively weak, and wide range of options, they are the last thing I want active or to be focused on. They bring a lot of variability into the swing.

If one effectively rotates their torso then the hands can hold on. The hands will follow. If the torso stalls out early then things like over the top and a flip release will happen, which I think you are getting at in your posts. Thinking about how the club moves around their body or where are at impact or where their palms should face and such CAN help a specific individual improve their torso rotation. For some. For those of us who teach, we know connecting with them through visuals only works if the visual generates the right response [especially encouraging effective torso rotation and less hand manipulation (e.g. letting position and momentum shallow the club)]. And that can be really specific to the individual.

These visuals and imagery and feels are where this can creep back to being appropriate to the swing thoughts part of the thread? I'm guessing @PhatJohnny has left the building by now...

Although you say it with much more authority/knowledge base, just about what I said on page 2(I think)

@Lane, you're taking a variety of things you've read, and, no offense intended, but, apparently with imperfect... comprehension, coupling it with your observations (e.g.: Your FIL's behavior), deriving your own beliefs as to what it all means, and presenting those beliefs as facts.

The amount of the brain dedicated to operation of the extremities has already been explained. TL;DR: It doesn't mean what you think it does.

Yes, the golf swing is executed in 200-250 ms. But the human brain is capable of operating at a rate several orders of magnitude faster than that:
Although it is impossible to precisely calculate, it is postulated that the human brain operates at 1 exaFLOP, which is equivalent to a billion billion calculations per second.
Ref: Computation Power: Human Brain vs Supercomputer (chosen at random)

What is proven one cannot do is have a swing thought, communicate it to one's body, and have the body act in the 200-250 ms during which a downswing occurs. That does not mean the brain is incapable of coordinating learned movements during a golf swing--or any other physical activity. E.g.: While one cannot make a conscious decision to alter ones swing, during the downswing, one's brain is monitoring the progress, noting corrections that need to be made, based on proprioception, and issuing the appropriate commands to the appropriate muscles.

Your assertion that the golf swing, or anything else the body does, is controlled by our hands: Again: Please cite something authoritative to support your assertion. Otherwise it's just OSAF. (And a nonsensical opinion, to boot, in my opinion.)

As for somebody not practiced in a good golf swing not naturally having a good golf swing: I'm not certain what that has to do with anything. If nothing else: It's almost a tautology, anyway.

MiG,
I appreciate your offer to help me. I am not an expert at biomechanics by any means , but I do have my own ideas and own skills of observation and I question everything I read and hear until I am convinced that it is factual. That is sometimes very difficult to confirm.
The swing sequence I tried to attach is to large so , if interested, go to the swing sequence ,” Tiger Woods- Ultra Slow Motion - Torrey Pines “. Scroll back and forth between 00.36 and 00. 43 . Then explain to me where Tiger starts his DS by rotating his torso first?
Great to discuss with you .

I have been reworking my swing with an instructor for a couple years. I think I am doing everything correctly, I practice or play 5-6 days a week. I live very close to a driving range and I have a simulator in my house as well, which helps get in practice time. On one hand, my scores have gone down significantly, I am now an 8 handicap where I was once an 18. My current instructor tells me that I should not have swing thoughts during competition, but if I try to eliminate the swing thoughts, all of the bad swing characteristics come back. Any suggestions?
You posted a very good topic and unfortunately, somewhere along the way it spiraled out of control. Congrats on the improvement btw.

As a high capper, I can't offer any suggestions, but I do have some opinions.

There are some who either work hard at or naturally possess a swing that doesn't drift to something bad. Maybe it's the way their mind works or maybe they can work on fixing a problem not have to worry as much about it coming back. For those folks, lining up and "swinging their swing" works.

There are probably others who have a pretty decent "natural" swing, but really screw it up by thinking too much.

Then there are folks like me. When I swing without any thoughts, everything feels perfectly balanced, on plane, full shoulder turn, centered hip turn, weight shift, etc. What shows up on video is horrendous. There's a hip slide back, I get maybe a 70° turn, over the top, no weight shift and just a very poor looking swing and results that are equally bad. Like you @PhatJohnny, all the things I've worked hard to avoid come back naturally.

No everyone can hit decent shots without a couple of swing thoughts - even if those thoughts are as simple as a reminder to maintain tempo, brace their trail leg, stay connected... whatever.

I don't think what applies to some can be applied to everyone.

MiG,
I appreciate your offer to help me. I am not an expert at biomechanics by any means , but I do have my own ideas and own skills of observation and I question everything I read and hear until I am convinced that it is factual. That is sometimes very difficult to confirm.
The swing sequence I tried to attach is to large so , if interested, go to the swing sequence ,” Tiger Woods- Ultra Slow Motion - Torrey Pines “. Scroll back and forth between 00.36 and 00. 43 . Then explain to me where Tiger starts his DS by rotating his torso first?
Great to discuss with you .
you can't within your parameters...he started it at 25-26

unless you're talking about this one:

it starts at 20-21

Last edited:
You posted a very good topic and unfortunately, somewhere along the way it spiraled out of control.
Just a little
shake.gif
(Yeah, I've been part of the problem. I tried to get it back on-track. Nobody seemed interested.)

Then there are folks like me. When I swing without any thoughts, everything feels perfectly balanced, on plane, full shoulder turn, centered hip turn, weight shift, etc. What shows up on video is horrendous. There's a hip slide back, I get maybe a 70° turn, over the top, no weight shift and just a very poor looking swing and results that are equally bad.
Ha! Does that ever look familiar
lol.gif

Like you @PhatJohnny, all the things I've worked hard to avoid come back naturally.
The solution is drills with lots of reps. A mind-numbing number of drills and reps. Eventually, the right thing(s) will become the natural thing.

E.g.: I'm at the point in my training I'm doing full backswings. Watching myself in the mirrors (one front, one down-line), I was looking pretty good. I thought I was ready to move to the next lesson segment. Did a down-line video of my full backswing and sent it to my instructor to ask him what he thought. He loved it. Had one criticism, and that was not to hold my trailing elbow in at the top of my backswing.

Then I went to take the same video from the front. In a word: Ick. Head was moving side-to-side. Wasn't keeping my lead arm straight (which probably meant I was probably getting my hands behind me), and I was swaying a bit. Worse: I was inconsistent.

Turned out that in taking the mirrors away I took away feedback that was allowing me to execute a nearly perfect backswing.

So reps. Lots and lots and lots and lots and lots... of reps. Until the motion I do in front of the mirrors becomes embedded.

No everyone can hit decent shots without a couple of swing thoughts - ...
I'm still not certain what we're talking about when we talk about "swing thoughts." I have pre-swing thoughts, but, once that club starts to come back I'm not consciously thinking about my swing anymore.

I don't think what applies to some can be applied to everyone.
True.

Back