Razaar,

I like your * hold off release * statement. Do you think your hands play a part in making that happen ?
A hold-off release requires the hands to stay behind the trail elbow until late in the downswing for the hands to release level with the front foot. A pivot where the shoulders never catch up with the hips during the forward swing is key. I have learnt through experience to keep the right hand grip pressure lighter than the left hand pressure (being a righty) to keep the right hand from taking over which interferes with external rotation and transverse adduction of the right shoulder during transition.

Desmond,
Good luck , wishing you great success in the wonderful game. Thanks for sharing!

Nice blowoff. :ROFLMAO:

Have a pint.;)

Look at the first post - the one by the OP. He is asking about swing thoughts during a round.

You should start a new thread about your theories.

Judging from my play…. Recent swing thought thes days seems to be:

“Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee”
Mine are more along the lines of,

To clear things up: Swing Thoughts During a Round.

Make it simple, make it a few or one - the fewer the better. For me, it's

Tempo

Feet

Full Turn

Hope to get it down to just "tempo" soon

Desmond,

Wishing you good luck with those, but you will only have time to think about one of these and it looks like you have picked out the one that you deem most important. Neither of those three are connected / attached to the lever / implement designed to perform the intended task. Neither if those three are capable of directing the face of the club into the correct path into the ball.
You will probably have the best shoulder and foot action in the history of golf , but your hands will still be rolling over as they are genetically designed unless you train them otherwise .
Wishing you great success in this great game.

Desmond,

Wishing you good luck with those, but you will only have time to think about one of these and it looks like you have picked out the one that you deem most important. Neither of those three are connected / attached to the lever / implement designed to perform the intended task. Neither if those three are capable of directing the face of the club into the correct path into the ball.
You will probably have the best shoulder and foot action in the history of golf , but your hands will still be rolling over as they are genetically designed unless you train them otherwise .
don't worry, mine are nailed down to a board; they won't roll.

To clear things up: Swing Thoughts During a Round.

Make it simple, make it a few or one - the fewer the better. For me, it's

Tempo

Feet

Full Turn

Hope to get it down to just "tempo" soon
These are good. I know follow-through is one that is very important. I can slow or stop my swing after hitting and make a very weak follow-through which usually winds up being an "armsy" swing which doesn't produce great results.

One of the low cappers I play with will sometimes tell me, "I noticed on that shot that you did not do your normal follow through that time." and he is always on the money. Once he reminds me I do my follow through and life is good on the course.

Luchnia,
Someday a picture of you and your follow through mIght hang on the wall of the World Golf Hall of Fame in St. Augustine as being the best ever in the game, but your DOMINANT HANDS will ALWAYS roll over and come back to the centerline of your torso during your DS a as they are genetically designed. What happens before impact affects ball flight and direction - after not so important! The golf swing should not be discussed without some basic knowledge of how the human is structured and what it is capable and not capable of performing. Cortical Homunculus is a great start to educate one self !

Good luck !

These are good. I know follow-through is one that is very important. I can slow or stop my swing after hitting and make a very weak follow-through which usually winds up being an "armsy" swing which doesn't produce great results.

One of the low cappers I play with will sometimes tell me, "I noticed on that shot that you did not do your normal follow through that time." and he is always on the money. Once he reminds me I do my follow through and life is good on the course.

So that's what you do - make up no more than 3 swing thoughts on a piece of paper B4 the round. The 1-3 phrases are unique to your swing.

On the range, you can do the mechanics as some have discussed here in a "thoughts" during the round thread. The range is the time for working on mechanics. The course is a time for a few quick phrases as a reminder.

Good luck.

Luchnia,
Someday a picture of you and your follow through mIght hang on the wall of the World Golf Hall of Fame in St. Augustine as being the best ever in the game, but your DOMINANT HANDS will ALWAYS roll over and come back to the centerline of your torso during your DS a as they are genetically designed. What happens before impact affects ball flight and direction - after not so important! The golf swing should not be discussed without some basic knowledge of how the human is structured and what it is capable and not capable of performing. Cortical Homunculus is a great start to educate one self !

Good luck !

L,

You'll probably like this web site, lol

Excellent post razaar.
Nothing ruins effective sequencing (e.g. causing early stall of pelvis rotation) like excess activity in the distal end, whether hitting or throwing.
Actually it is something that I transferred from my basketball days to my golf swing. When I did a jump shot, one of the elements was getting the right elbow under and in front of the ball with the arm and elbow lined up with the hoop. The ball rested on the finger tips supported by the left hand. Both sections of the arm moved at the same speed as the elbow hinge was levered upwards.
When the arm straightened the wrist snapped with the fingers imparting backspin on the basketball. This is the classic method of shooting the free throw, set shot and jumpshot that Bill Sharman described in his classic publication "Sharman on Basketball Shooting" (1965).
I imported these movements into my golf swing because it made alot of sense to me and I was very familiar with the movements.

Carolina Golever,
Thanks much for sending this link to me. I read every word of it . Anyone who has a passion to develop a good golf swing should study this diligently. Genetics rule and this study is what I have preached for years, but only a few thinkers have glommed onto it and tgeir results have been phenomenal. Most just follow the herd with opinion and theory leading .
This study skirts around the key to the swing and gets closer to the facts more than most , by far, but misses the mark by a long shot. The brilliant Aussie, Gerry Hogan , figured all this out for us and put in pages for all to understand in 1992. However, it never got much traction in the USA. I was very fortunate to have been taught by him for many years and I learned from assisting him in clinics.
Learning and understanding how the human body is designed and what it can or can not perform would be very helpful to some who claim the body can do this while doing that during 2/10 seconds of the DS. Golf swing theory and opinion and innuendo has been regurgitated so much through the years I don’t know if it will ever change .
I hope anyone searching for answers will study the map of research done the famous Dr. Wayne Penfield done on patients who has strokes.
This study got some of it correct, leaves out the MOST IMPORTANT aspect - the humans hands are responsible for directing the club
on its downward path on an inclined arc/ circle - the HANDS are never mentioned in the article. Wrong - missed the most important part.
Thanks again for sending. I will read it again.
Good to hear from you !

Desmond,

I don't think you get it - the OP's first post of a few swing thoughts for the course. At least, that's how I interpreted the question. Either you or I are the greatest threadjackers in the history of mankind (sarcasm).

I have a golf swing that is quite capable.

I can't take a thick thesis on the golf swing to the golf course.

But I can take a thin post-it note.

The 3 items on a post-it note are what I need at the moment to make a decent pass at the ball. They are "quick" reminders.

These "reminders" will change as I incorporate at least 2 of those into habits.

Tempo will always stay.

"Feet" is about ground pressure - back foot on BS pressures, down, back and behind you, and then that move transfers pressure to lead toe and down to lead heel at the end of the swing.

"Full turn" is self-explanatory. But it's basically, don't rush, finish the backswing.

A few words that only have meaning to help me that day on the course - on a post-it note.

Last edited:
Wonder why the greatest ball striker of all time, Moe Norman, did not study concepts along the lines of Gerry Hogan or deal with all the so-called swing thoughts of today? This was not really new. Moe blowed all the swing thoughts and theories out of the water with his ball striking ability.

People would ask him all these technical questions while he was hitting and he would say things like, "Oh, I don't do any of that." I like the fact that Moe would basically tell you to play from your heart and forget all the other junk. He would hit a ball and sometimes say, "See, pure as the driven snow. Pure as the driven snow."

Moe always kept it simple. As he would say, "Every time I hit a shot, I feel like I am shaking hands with the flag stick." I enjoy when Moe was asked how long he had his golf tee he was using and he responded, "Oh, 'bout seven years."

Oldandstiff,
I don’t- that is the point I am trying to make. If the human brain can ONLY sort out and perform one task in 2/10 seconds wouldn’t it be advantageous to know what parts of the human structure commands/ directs it’s movements? What are the ONLY connection / attachment to the lever we hold ?
If Dr. Penfield ‘s research * Cortical Homunculus * is factual ( and the medical experts agree it is ) and more than 40% of the brain is dedicated to our head and also more than 40 % is dedicated to our hands with a little left for reproductive organs. The upper and lower torso exist to obey the commands of the brain and hands .
You may have the finest hip turn, shoulder rotation ever in mankind history , but your DOMINANT HANDS will be headed in the direction they are genetically designed - to the centerline of the chest palms together thumbs facing skywards In a prayer position. AND - they always will unless your DOMINANT HAND is taught / forced to react in an opposite manner it is designed . it must not be allowed to roll over . The palm of the dominant hand needs to be trained to stay palm up during the entire ds.
Since you are a excellent player I expect you already perform this way. Otherwise, you would spend lots of time looking for your ball in the left rough.
Good luck.
How the hell am I supposed to keep my left palm up during the downswing??????

As I have said before, I am left-hand dominant but play golf right-handed, so there is no way I can keep my left palm up during the downswing, so your theory of the golf swing doesn't work for everyone

I swear you must have lived in the UK because your responses are just like someone from the UK. ;)

I can't really get into your posts or anyone else's about the golf swing. No offense but I pay someone to instruct me and I pay attention to him.

I relayed to you what most of us consider as swing thoughts on the course. If I thought about that on the course, I'd go have a pint and forget golf. If you don't want to listen to me, that's fine. But that really makes you sound ike a UK'er. :ROFLMAO:

;) It's all good.
That is soooooo funny :rolleyes:

Luchnia,
Give me a break , PLEASE . Maybe you might watch * Moe Norman shows his Master Move , Vertical Drop, Coin Drill . Golf Swing instruction -video before you tell me about Moe !
Hou can apologize for your erroneous statement at any time.

Doctor,
If you are not able to rotate your LEFT HAND PALM UPWARD around back ( left thumb pointing downward with your left elbow close into your left torso ) then I don’t know why . Let me explain it below another way ———
If you hold a plate of cookies in the palm of your left hand could you rotate that plate around behind your left side and offer a cookie to the cookie lover behind you ? Could you then ROTATE that plate back around and offer one to the cookie lover standing to your right ?
YES- you certainly could - and without your feet leaving their position. Did you consider for one millisecond that you had better instruct your your hips, shoulders, ankles , legs, toes , nose , ears, fibia, tibia bones to make sure they turned ? No- you didn’t BC this simple task is embedded in your subconscious mind and your torso complied / obeyed with blind obedience to their master - your DOMINANT HANDS .
It was not necessary to engage the brains to perform such a simple task . It is already wired for that And many other mundane daily task.If you desire to be a Surgeon or build computers or fly a plane -OR LEARN THE GOLF SWING the those will require installing a * learned conscious effort. *
Good luck !

Doctor,
If you are not able to rotate your LEFT HAND PALM UPWARD around back ( left thumb pointing downward with your left elbow close into your left torso ) then I don’t know why . Let me explain it below another way ———
If you hold a plate of cookies in the palm of your left hand could you rotate that plate around behind your left side and offer a cookie to the cookie lover behind you ? Could you then ROTATE that plate back around and offer one to the cookie lover standing to your right ?
YES- you certainly could - and without your feet leaving their position. Did you consider for one millisecond that you had better instruct your your hips, shoulders, ankles , legs, toes , nose , ears, fibia, tibia bones to make sure they turned ? No- you didn’t BC this simple task is embedded in your subconscious mind and your torso complied / obeyed with blind obedience to their master - your DOMINANT HANDS .
It was not necessary to engage the brains to perform such a simple task . It is already wired for that And many other mundane daily task.If you desire to be a Surgeon or build computers or fly a plane -OR LEARN THE GOLF SWING the those will require installing a * learned conscious effort. *
Good luck !
You still don't get it, or haven't read any of my posts properly....

I am LEFT-handed, yet play golf RIGHT-handed, therefore having my left palm facing upwards during the downswing is not possible

Doctor,

You gotta be yanking my chain. Surely you are putting me on . Nice job!

Doctor,

You gotta be yanking my chain. Surely you are putting me on . Nice job!
Show me where the left palm is pointing upwards during the downswing?

Doctor,
Good luck !
I just really can't imagine a golf swing with the dominate hand's palm looking at the sky at impact. I see all the good golfers having the dominate hand's palm facing the target and even angled down towards the ground on a really trapped shot..

So sorry Desmond, but I couldn't let this "mechanics" go.

I just really can't imagine a golf swing with the dominate hand's palm looking at the sky at impact. I see all the good golfers having the dominate hand's palm facing the target and even angled down towards the ground on a really trapped shot..

So sorry Desmond, but I couldn't let this "mechanics" go.
I must be a crap golfer then as my dominant palm is facing away from the target at impact, a bit like Mickelson really.....

Back