Swing Tips - Avoid or Consume?

BriMac

Team Vosh 2024 Victory Cup
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Fluctuates
I go through phases - consuming / reading / testing every swing tip from the internet. Other times I purposefully avoid anything related to it in fear it will completely mess me up.

What camp are you in?

Were in the same camp Brimac. Could you move over 6 ft so we are socially distant! 😷
Thats my biggest fault. i am constantly looking at different swing tips sometimes before I am finished with previous swing tips, I need help!

A few weeks ago @golfunfiltered β€˜s podcast offered a code for a free month of on line instruction. I watched for a few days, but did not actually physically perform any of the drills, nor practice. I just thought absorbing it by watching would lead to miracles. I must have played the worst round of golf in modern history the next time out. I am currently avoiding any swing tip content because I know I won’t actually practice or dedicate the time to fully implement.

avoid at all costs. how do you know what the root cause of your miss is? and how do you know whether you’re implementing the swing thought correctly?

I go through phases - consuming / reading / testing every swing tip from the internet. Other times I purposefully avoid anything related to it in fear it will completely mess me up.

What camp are you in?

"Swing tips" do more harm than good.
The best way for one to learn and maintain a good effective effective swing is by learning and practicing the time tested address fundamentals (grip-posture-alignment). Adherence to these fundamentals will allow the player's own good swing to emerge naturally, without ever having to "think about" anything during the golf swing.

Mostly avoid...though somehow I am in this section of the forum.

I've learned that most of my faults/feels are different than a lot of golfers. I have a good instructor who knows which things click with me. My general swing fault was always an outside takeaway, then dropping the club inside. (almost an anti Furyk). I worked really hard to get it 'mostly' on-plane. 90% of online golf help is for people who fight the opposite issue.

Getting the club back onplane and a solid coil took a long time. I finally found a guy who helped it click and in a way that I never would have come up with on my own.

I wouldn’t say I avoid or consume. I will watch a lot of different videos just to watch. I’m not seeking out any type per say, I feel like I’m comfortable enough to digest what I want and what I don’t want.

A few weeks ago @golfunfiltered β€˜s podcast offered a code for a free month of on line instruction. I watched for a few days, but did not actually physically perform any of the drills, nor practice. I just thought absorbing it by watching would lead to miracles. I must have played the worst round of golf in modern history the next time out. I am currently avoiding any swing tip content because I know I won’t actually practice or dedicate the time to fully implement.

Welp.

I don't generally watch any unless I'm having an issue then I will search out something.

What camp are you in?

I avoid for the most part - have an instructor. Once in a while, I will look at Malasky. Luke Donald had some good tips a couple of weeks ago oon IG and Twitter. My instructor fitted Luke for a driver shaft, so he pointed me to Luke via Twitter

I don't usually look for tips, but I don't avoid them either. I can pretty much tell whether its even worth me giving it a try this far along in the process.

If I had a full time instructor and I could more or less do what he was suggesting, then I wouldn't give tips a second thought.

I look at them, often out of curiosity to see if anything resonates with me, but don't go any further than that with most of them. Kisner's recent video about chipping tips helped me a lot, though.

Golf publications/social platforms have a need to continually churn out content to stay relevant. Within the span of a few months, you can see five different tips that are at odds with (or directly contradict) each other.

I watch for enjoyment and will try things out from time to time. To be fair, watching and trying to emulate some of the things being demonstrated is just fun.

What camp are you in?
I’m in the go get lessons for real camp. :LOL:

But seriously, I occasionally read tips and such in golf Magazine or whatever but I try to only practice what I’ve been taught by my Instructor.

I don’t necessarily watch or read them to help my own game - I just enjoy learning about swing mechanics and different instructors interpretations.

I'll read tips and make an educated decision as to whether I believe it'll help me.

I used to eat that stuff up. Heck Golf Digest tips is how I learned to put together a swing. I've pretty much stuck with what I knew up until lately but used some tips a buddy gave me and have seen a decent improvement.

I don't usually look for tips, but I don't avoid them either. I can pretty much tell whether its even worth me giving it a try this far along in the process.

If I had a full time instructor and I could more or less do what he was suggesting, then I wouldn't give tips a second thought.

I can identify here.

If you are going to take the time to learn as much as possible about the swing, then consume.

If not, probably avoid unless you have help from someone knowledgeable.

Avoid! Golf tips on Youtube and in golf magazines are going to do nothing but mess you up. If you want swing tips, you have to go to a teaching pro and have someone watch you swing and then give you tips that are tailored to YOUR swing.

I avoid for the most part - have an instructor. Once in a while, I will look at Malasky. Luke Donald had some good tips a couple of weeks ago oon IG and Twitter. My instructor fitted Luke for a driver shaft, so he pointed me to Luke via Twitter

I have something similar with my instructor. When we were working on something, he showed and sent me a short video of Steve Elkington talking about it. I've found that a lot of Steve's thoughts fit my swing pattern and I'll look him his stuff from time to time.

I think both at times.

When I'm looking for it, it's a good thing. That means I either have no idea what to do, or I'm looking for a specific answer. At those times, almost all advice is seriously considered and used. This is the case with a recent topic where I received some helpful advice from several members.

But when I am working on something and focused, I don't want to get off track by trying a bunch of things.

A common issue I have with even sound advice is the belief I'm incapable of executing or fully understanding what's being communicated. It's the biggest reason I don't take lessons - certainly not because I think this stuff can be learned on my own.

I tinker, tinker, tinker!

Back