Pops

Formerly Bbutler
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Anyone use or have used impact snap or orange whip type swing trainers. Good bad helped you or didn’t. Let’s hear your thoughts

I have the Orange Whip. I use it as a warm up aid and I also use it at home to stay loose during the season. I followed the videos and it’s not a time consuming workout.

My instructor swears by the impact snap, hates the idea of the orange whip except for loosening up.

Most of the stuff like orange whip is more of a tempo warmup device. I am personally not a fan of swing trading devices to magically fix a swing. Best option is spending that money on a lesson to fix the actual issue in my opinion

I use swing speed stick to warm up with.

I have an Orange Whip. It's a ton of fun to work out with. As for its utility as a swing training aid: I'm not so certain. My experience, last season, was warming up with it before playing or a range session actually harmed my performance. Then I videoed myself using it and discovered why.

More recently, after participating in a couple threads about the biomechanics of a good swing, and particularly pelvis rotation, proper timing and sequencing, etc., I found out how it's really supposed to be done--which the YouTube OW video only mentions in-passing. Now I can really feel how the OW can promote a better swing and what its creator means when he talks about how, when you get it wrong, you can really feel it.

Whether what I believe I've learned is actually right or not is another question. Problem there is the ground is snow-covered and I haven't worked up the ambition to get to the range in a while.

I have an orange whip knockoff and use it to warm up before rounds; works for me

Like the others, not for training but for warming up

It was really the result of conversations in three threads:

Faster Backswing = More Club Head Speed?
Having trouble fixing early extension
What Muscles Are Used To Rotate The Pelvis In The Golf Swing?

When I first started training with the OW was before my first lesson. Little did I realize I was driving the thing entirely with my shoulders/arms. It took a long time to cure myself of that. But even then I was still not getting it right. Now I was driving my swing from my core. Or trying to. The big flaws I discovered by videoing myself was my backswing was way too far back, I was bending my trailing arm badly during the backswing, and I had been swaying. The OW was actually making that worse, not better.

But, even understanding all that, and getting it somewhat ironed-out, it wasn't until the three threads I list above that I finally figured out how the swing should be done: Pivoting the pelvis almost as if on a single, centrally-located point, and driving the the start of the downswing from pelvis rotation.

When you use the OW and feel yourself at the end of your backswing, the end of that whip is still moving back. If you begin your downswing at that point, from your pelvis, you can really feel the timing/sequencing.

Before I discovered all this I actually had to work to do a full turn. Now it's impossible for me not to do a full turn without literally unbalancing myself. And the hip and shoulder tilt up in the direction of the target? They just happen automatically--as does the forward "slide" of my hips, toward the target.

When I get all this right, working with the OW, it all flows smoothly. Powerfully. When I get the timing wrong I can tell immediately.

I use my orange whip trainer a lot. I like it as a practice tool especially when i can only swing in the backyard.

I like the orange whip to stay loose and warm up. This year I began using an impact snap and it really helped my ball striking. I'm a big fan of that training device.

i got the orange whip in December and have had two back issues. I'm starting to wonder if the un-natural amount of centripical force on follow-thru is the cause as I've hit like 10,000 balls in Covid without issue. I do have historical back issues just not related to golf. If no back issues, I think the orange whip is good as a tempo trainer and physical conditioner if swung on balance.

not clear that it teaches grip but it helps one think about tempo and delayed release. I actually swing it to a tee just so I'm aiming at something.

I don't use any of these, although I've contemplated trying something - especially the Swing Speed system.

Just watched the video about the Impact Snap product since I hadn't heard of that one before. Looks like a simple device, but also like that it could help with an indoor work option.

I have the Impact Snap. It's kind of loud (probably louder than hitting an actual golf ball) so I can't use it in my apartment or I scare the cats and annoy the girlfriend. If I could, I would probably figure out how it makes my swing better but I can't say I've gotten much out of it in the few times I've used it. Still hear great things about it though...

Back