Cmontgomery

Reaction score
Handicap
How many of you have some sort of trigger to initiate your swing and what is it? Does it create issues? Have you tried to eliminate it?

I have a forward press where I tend to regrip incredibly strong, ultimately making it incredibly difficult to maintain a neutral or have an open club face. I honestly had no idea it even existed until my coach called me out on it. Even knowing it exists and what it causes it has proven nearly impossible to stop.

Anyone fought this or have any suggestions?

I have a forward press which I use to straighten my lead arm. Once it gets to the "straight" I want, backswing commences. I find this reduces other weird **** going on in the way back swing.

Slight lean into my back (right) side. Sounds weird but that’s my best golf.

I don’t have one, although I don’t start my swing until I have my one swing thought for the day.

I don’t have one, although I don’t start my swing until I have my one swing thought for the day.
My best golf is no swing thoughts, pick a spot, confident swing and deal with the results later. I’m not smart enough to think & play golf.

My best golf is no swing thoughts, pick a spot, confident swing and deal with the results later. I’m not smart enough to think & play golf.
My best golf is no thought as well (normally something stupid like a song or something going through my mind). But I don’t play much good golf, so swing thoughts!

I don't really have a specific swing trigger, more just a natural rhythm of setting up, small waggle, and go.

Tap ground once, add lag to set up, a slight take away, reset, add lag and swing. Only issue is on the slight take away if it is rough or catches the grain I can’t remember ever hitting a good shot. Most likely between the ears but it seems to be here to stay.

Tap ground once, add lag to set up, a slight take away, reset, add lag and swing. Only issue is on the slight take away if it is rough or catches the grain I can’t remember ever hitting a good shot. Most likely between the ears but it seems to be here to stay.

Yeah, that’s a lot. No way I’d get it off the ground trying to remember all that.

It crazy what I’m doing without even realizing it. If it was simply the press, I wouldn’t think twice. I actually let the club rotate and regrip thereby shutting the face.

Obviously Leeds to some nasty hooks at times...

Yeah, that’s a lot. No way I’d get it off the ground trying to remember all that.
Problem is I don’t realize I’m doing it unless I hit the snag it the slight take away.

Problem is I don’t realize I’m doing it unless I hit the snag it the slight take away.

I have a forward press which I use to straighten my lead arm. Once it gets to the "straight" I want, backswing commences. I find this reduces other weird **** going on in the way back swing.
I do pretty much the same thing. Forward press then takeaway.

Slight lean into my back (right) side. Sounds weird but that’s my best golf.
The one I've used for years and years:

1. Set up regularly
2. Lift right thumb off club until ready
3. When the thumb goes back on grip, it's go time.

But I'm thinking of ditching mine and adopting yours. Through research I'm finding that most tour players move to their back side slightly to begin before re-centering.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Only one I know of is a small forward press to trigger my putter stroke, had that for ages. I probably do something on regular swings either with breathing (or lack of), or some sort of body movement, but unless I think about it I have no clue what it could even be. Of course putting is the best part of my game, so maybe I need a swing trigger for the rest of the swing round, perhaps the thumb move like Jordan Spieth does, but only if it turns me into 2015 Jordan.

How many of you have some sort of trigger to initiate your swing and what is it? Does it create issues? Have you tried to eliminate it?

I have a forward press where I tend to regrip incredibly strong, ultimately making it incredibly difficult to maintain a neutral or have an open club face. I honestly had no idea it even existed until my coach called me out on it. Even knowing it exists and what it causes it has proven nearly impossible to stop.

Anyone fought this or have any suggestions?

I use a forward press to reduce the open club face. I find if I don't, it's too open and everything is pushed/blocked to the right (RH).

Back