Swing Weight On Your Driver

For me the numbers you provided ( 195 gram head, 52 gram grip, 92 gram shaft, 45.5" length ) should equate to a final swing weight of D5 to D6.
If it were 46.5" length I think it would be an E2 swing weight club. How are you measuring the finished length of the driver ? It should be measured from the butt end of the grip to the point where the hosel begins to curve and becomes the sole of the driver.

I usually measure my driver lengths based on it with sole flat on the ground in address position measured from the point it touches the ground to the butt of the grip. As in this diagram. That measurement is 45.5"

1579706652617.png

One of the things you may not be taking into consideration is balance point based on the shaft weight distribution. With my Oban Isawa Red, the balance point is about 12" from the ground as described in the above diagram.

I play mine typically at D2. I’ve tried heavier but can have some issues with squaring the face.

My clubs have progressive swing weights. D2 in driver/3W/3i, D2.5 in 4/5, D3 in 6/7, D3.5 in 8/9, D4 in PW/GW, D5 in SW/LW.

I don’t I notice any difference over constant swing weights.

Where do you guys get it measured? Do it yourselves, local golf shop?

I have no idea what my driver swing weight is. It's nice that we typically have adjustable weights now. I just add weight to the head until it feels right in my hands. I favor a heavier head than what they come stock at, so I usually end up adding something to it. If I had to venture a guess, I would guess D5ish? But, it doesn't really matter to me what the scale says.

I found I like anywhere from D1 to D3.

D5 for me.

Started with good ol' 48" clubs, SW unadjusted and around D8-E0. Never had a problem getting them around. THEN I found the tour counter-locks and played with different SW's. I've got my M4 (@ 45.5") playing at C8 and love it. Picked up a good bit of distance and SS too. A good portion of my swing speed comes through my forearms and wrist (HUGE cock ;-), the C8 made it so much easier to 'flick' the ball out there a ways.

My friends ignore it when I talk golf technical stuff, and they couldn't tell you what a SW is (despite spending $hundreds$ a year on golf clubs), but I see it like this. Most of my buddies play softball. Each has a different weight of bat they like and make best contact with, some heavier and some lighter. If you're a bowler, do you use the heaviest possible ball (16lb normally), or do you use the ball you can get the most rotation/leverage with? If you're a builder, hammers have different weights. Chances are, if your hammer is too heavy or too light, you're gonna mash the f@ck out of your fingers or the wood. What weight are you comfortable with? Same in golf. What weight gives you the most repeatable and manageable swing up to impact.

This is my 2-cents right here, but if you struggle to make good contact with your wedges, chipping, flopping, whatever, ADD some WEIGHT to it. You'll likely get much better control through impact with a heavier SW. (at least it works for me, as soon as I buy a wedge I turn it up to E0 immediately. For short game shots it's my sweet spot for control)

FYI, I've used this site exclusively at home to adjust my SWs. Find the balance point of your driver, find the weight (small digital scales may set you back $10), and plot your data into the site. it'll give you the swingweight. How it 'compares' to a REAL SW measurement tool, I don't know, but it's close enough for me and always consistent.

Started with good ol' 48" clubs, SW unadjusted and around D8-E0. Never had a problem getting them around. THEN I found the tour counter-locks and played with different SW's. I've got my M4 (@ 45.5") playing at C8 and love it. Picked up a good bit of distance and SS too. A good portion of my swing speed comes through my forearms and wrist (HUGE cock ;-), the C8 made it so much easier to 'flick' the ball out there a ways.

My friends ignore it when I talk golf technical stuff, and they couldn't tell you what a SW is (despite spending $hundreds$ a year on golf clubs), but I see it like this. Most of my buddies play softball. Each has a different weight of bat they like and make best contact with, some heavier and some lighter. If you're a bowler, do you use the heaviest possible ball (16lb normally), or do you use the ball you can get the most rotation/leverage with? If you're a builder, hammers have different weights. Chances are, if your hammer is too heavy or too light, you're gonna mash the f@ck out of your fingers or the wood. What weight are you comfortable with? Same in golf. What weight gives you the most repeatable and manageable swing up to impact.

This is my 2-cents right here, but if you struggle to make good contact with your wedges, chipping, flopping, whatever, ADD some WEIGHT to it. You'll likely get much better control through impact with a heavier SW. (at least it works for me, as soon as I buy a wedge I turn it up to E0 immediately. For short game shots it's my sweet spot for control)
It must make quite a difference. Back in the day when builders used hammers to drive nails, (now they use air guns here) those guys were anal about the hammer style, weight, grip, and other specs for the different type nails they drove.

I have heard them say the right weighted hammer could be swung most all day driving framing nails without too much pain whereas a bad balanced and weighted hammer would cause all sorts of problems. I know I have swung a hammer until my arm felt like it was falling off and a crappy hammer is the worse tool you can use. I have a feeling swinging golf clubs share some of these traits.

Back in the day I had a local pro shop guy build me a LD club to play with, 6* SMT clubhead on a 50" Assassin shaft, uncut. Damned thing swung like a sledge-hammer, literally. 20 balls and not only did you need a break, your back ached for a week. Unbeknownst to me (and him apparently), I could've lightened it considerably by adding some weight in the handle (woulda been A LOT funner had it been a D2 or something, I have to guess it was above an F as is... ).

My fun club right now for scrambles is a 48" (playing length) uncut Aldila Rogue Max 55x on a Callaway Alpha DD tuned to 6.5* with a 40g counter-weight in the grip. Don't recall the SW but Va-Boom.

I have no idea. Neighborhood of D2?

Back