Swing Weight On Your Driver

Am I the only one in the E range? :oops:

Ping G400 Max/TPT Shaft

D4

D2 for me.

D4

I’m about D5 with my old shaft. I haven’t checked with my ProjectX custom yet.

Am I the only one in the E range? :oops:
My old driver was an E0 from what I was told. No idea though. It was my MC F8 Tour Length. I did change the shaft but it was supposed to be same length and weight so not really sure how it got that heavy but it never bothered me.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Dont know. Dont care. Swingweight is one of those things I never worry myself with.

+1 to this. I know when something feels too light, but otherwise I never really worry about it.

Just wondering what the swing weight on the drivers you THPers use and what is your happy medium. The reason I ask is because this new driver I have from CC with the M6 head and Paderson Ballistic shaft comes in at D6. I've been having trouble adjusting to that much swing weight.

D1 to D2.

I think dead weight is relevant. For example, if light components are used (such as super light shaft and grip, plus a little bit light of a head weight) then a heavier swing weight of D3 to D4 (due to extra long shaft length)may help the club feel more balanced when swung.
For standard to heavier weight type components including shaft weight and grip weight, then I think most players find D0 to D1 swing weight provides a good balanced feel when swung.

I think dead weight is relevant. For example, if light components are used (such as super light shaft and grip, plus a little bit light of a head weight) then a heavier swing weight of D3 to D4 (due to extra long shaft length)may help the club feel more balanced when swung.
For standard to heavier weight type components including shaft weight and grip weight, then I think most players find D0 to D1 swing weight provides a good balanced feel when swung.

I would agree. I am curious on the relationship between swing weight which is really a measurement of the weight distribution of the dead weight vs the actual dead weight. I think my driver is on the heavier side dead weight and I have a lot of that weight distribution in the head. I don't tend to like a lighter swing weight because I like to feel the head position and I use the dead weight to help keep things on swing plane/on time and not get twitchy at impact. But that's just me. Interested on what others feel/use for their drivers.

Club Champion recently fit me to D7. Sounded like an outlier to me, but happy to see some others in that same neighborhood @Vader

Is it true that with the heavier swing weights that you feel the club head better during the swing?

I think there is some truth to that, because my C9 versus my D2 seems to feel different in swing. The C9 is a lighter shaft too than my driver with D2 swing weight, so that would affect the feel as well. I think the shaft weight and the swing weight can be felt. When I tire down some I can tell the difference more when swinging those two.

I would agree. I am curious on the relationship between swing weight which is really a measurement of the weight distribution of the dead weight vs the actual dead weight. I think my driver is on the heavier side dead weight and I have a lot of that weight distribution in the head. I don't tend to like a lighter swing weight because I like to feel the head position and I use the dead weight to help keep things on swing plane and not get twitchy at impact. But that's just me. Interested on what others feel/use for their drivers.

Please provide information about your driver, such as length, grip type, and the head model.
My thoughts on swing weight is that it is a measurement used to identify a well balanced club, and to do that a swing weight scale factors in the length of the club, the weight at the butt end and the weight at the bottom. So I don't believe the bottom end (head weight) is especially more relevant to the final swing weight than is the length of the club or the butt end weight.
Regarding the subject of "head feel" and, or, "feeling the weight of the club head", I think that is mostly due to player technique. Specifically, a player using light grip pressure will "feel the club head" much more so than a player applying heavy-tight grip pressure.
I agree with you that heavy dead weight (compared to light dead weight) can absolutely help promote good rhythm, tempo, and swing plane. One of the problems in the golf equipment industry is that companies are using computers to design clubs, and this promotes the concept that lighter dead weight clubs , especially lighter shafts, may be swung faster and produce longer distance shots. However. the computer does not factor in the human element, that is heavier dead weight clubs may assist a human in making better swings and more consistent quality ball contact.

Club Champion recently fit me to D7. Sounded like an outlier to me, but happy to see some others in that same neighborhood @Vader

When I got fit into my G400 it was at E0, the way it felt in my hand, was like a long lost friend. My dispersion and smash peaked out. Did you notice the same?

When we got the M drivers at the injected speed event, I was spraying balls everywhere. I had the M6 pegged at D0, and I confirmed it was actually C9 when I got home.

I swapped over the GD BB and plastered the head with lead tape, which brought it up to D7. I refrained from going back to E0, because as rounds wore on, or I got into my 20th hole of a 36 hole day, it became too much when I got tired. I find D7 to be the perfect happy medium.

I have no clue what my swing weight is.

Please provide information about your driver, such as length, grip type, and the head model.
My thoughts on swing weight is that it is a measurement used to identify a well balanced club, and to do that a swing weight scale factors in the length of the club, the weight at the butt end and the weight at the bottom. So I don't believe the bottom end (head weight) is especially more relevant to the final swing weight than is the length of the club or the butt end weight.
Regarding the subject of "head feel" and, or, "feeling the weight of the club head", I think that is mostly due to player technique. Specifically, a player using light grip pressure will "feel the club head" much more so than a player applying heavy-tight grip pressure.
I agree with you that heavy dead weight (compared to light dead weight) can absolutely help promote good rhythm, tempo, and swing plane. One of the problems in the golf equipment industry is that companies are using computers to design clubs, and this promotes the concept that lighter dead weight clubs , especially lighter shafts, may be swung faster and produce longer distance shots. However. the computer does not factor in the human element, that is heavier dead weight clubs may assist a human in making better swings and more consistent quality ball contact.

Since I just a couple weeks ago built my own swing speed trainer specifically off of my driver dead weight, I happen to have those numbers. :)

Swing Weight: E2
Dead Weight: 339g
Head: 195g
Grip: 52g
Shaft (cut to fit with tape and hosel): 92g
Length: 45.5"

i dropped my shaft 1 in from stock and put a 18 gram replacement in that replaces the old 7 gram weight on my ping g400 max

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
I added the 15 gram one in my g400 lst.

Since I just a couple weeks ago built my own swing speed trainer specifically off of my driver dead weight, I happen to have those numbers. :)

Swing Weight: E2
Dead Weight: 339g
Head: 195g
Grip: 52g
Shaft (cut to fit with tape and hosel): 92g
Length: 45.5"

For me the numbers you provided ( 195 gram head, 52 gram grip, 92 gram shaft, 45.5" length ) should equate to a final swing weight of D5 to D6.
If it were 46.5" length I think it would be an E2 swing weight club. How are you measuring the finished length of the driver ? It should be measured from the butt end of the grip to the point where the hosel begins to curve and becomes the sole of the driver.

When I got fit into my G400 it was at E0, the way it felt in my hand, was like a long lost friend. My dispersion and smash peaked out. Did you notice the same?

When we got the M drivers at the injected speed event, I was spraying balls everywhere. I had the M6 pegged at D0, and I confirmed it was actually C9 when I got home.

I swapped over the GD BB and plastered the head with lead tape, which brought it up to D7. I refrained from going back to E0, because as rounds wore on, or I got into my 20th hole of a 36 hole day, it became too much when I got tired. I find D7 to be the perfect happy medium.
For me, the dispersion greatly improved as the fitter ramped up the swing weight to D7. I haven't been on a course yet to test it, but itching to do so.

I was fit at Club Champion but put the driver together on my own. SW turned out to be D7 and although the driver is the best club in my bag, I found myself expending too much effort on the last 3-4 holes of the round. Since Club Champion fitting had recommended a D4 SW I decided to shorten the length by 0.5”. Now the SW is at D2.5. I’m gonna add some lead tape to bring it back up to D4.

Back