Swing weight preference

Pops

Formerly Bbutler
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
What do you prefer in a swing weight in irons. Do you find that you prefer a lighter swing weight in graphite shafted irons vs steel. Cobra stock specs on KFTs in steel is D2 while graphite is C9. Hadn’t given it much thought till I received the new c721 Tour Edge irons. In my initial testing with them I could tell they were weighted heavier than my KFTs. I don’t have a scale so had to calculate it by weight and balance point input into swing weight calculator. They came in at D3.5 up to D5. The increased swing weight makes them play really nice. Makes me want to increase swing weight on my graphite shafted KFTs. They are currently close to the stock C9. Am I nuts. Before I started playing the 721s I thought I was satisfied with the sw of the KFTs

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

However they are out of the box

I prefer MOI matching the set, (Roughly .4” difference in clubs and .5 SW point between each) makes the longer irons slightly shorter and shorter slightly longer.

D1 for longer clubs and D2 to the PW is my ideal, took some trial and error to figure this out. Wedges are D4 to D7, just depends on the wedge.

I actually have no idea what my preferred weight is. Whatever comes from the manufacturer which is think is like D2?

Stock from the manufacturer... or used club rack... or 2nd hand from the internet.

Other than that, I have no idea.

@bbutler Just started thinking about SW in my iron sets. I have no idea what they are nor what is better for me. Never really thought about it until the C721's came in a while back. How would one go about finding out their preferred SW?

We are all different.

I once liked heavy but am finding from fittings, that heavy is not ideal.

I go D2 up to 8i, then D3 in 9i-PW.

It's weird because Driver is D4, Fwys about D2.

D4 on D-PW. Gap-Lob is D5.

I don’t like too light, but I’m not sure it matters that much to me. I’d need to get back on a monitor and test different swing weights to know for sure. Currently my clubs are as follows:

Driver - D5
3W - D4
3H - D4
4i-PW - D3
GW/SW - D4
Lw - D5

D2 with the irons seems good for me. D3 in the PW. D4 in the SW, LW.

@bbutler Just started thinking about SW in my iron sets. I have no idea what they are nor what is better for me. Never really thought about it until the C721's came in a while back. How would one go about finding out their preferred SW?
I prefer my gap sw and lob all to be same in model and swing weight. Currently go from pw that matches set to sm8 50, 54, and 58. All of which are shafted with same i95 steelfiber shafts as my KFTs. I prefer my swing weight on the lighter end of the scale. Long irons are in mid c range moving up to around d2 for my i95 shafted wedges.
swing weight is a very personal choice. Not sure when I got comfortable with lower swing weights. I’ve played cobra graphite shafted clubs for a long time and per there website current graphite shafted sets come standard at c9. If a guy was wanting wedges to mix into the c721 set I would have to go heavier I’m sure.

Back