Puttmaster

Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 9.1
A picture says a thousand words …

now let’s see all of them at impact. i bet there are striking similarities.

Indeed - there are so many ways to get there.

I think they might look more similar just because the heads will all be in the same spot, but I honestly don't think their positions will be much more similar than they are there really. Having watched breakdowns of most of those guys swings, they're all fairly different on where their hips are, how open, chest height, distance, wrist angles, handle height, etc. at impact and it's why they have different ball flights.

I love stuff like this by the way. LOVE. Lots of ways to get it done out there.

I love stuff like this by the way. LOVE. Lots of ways to get it done out there.

there was a period. I think early 2000s for a few years I think golf was getting very mechanical and there was “a way” to swing the club. It seems to be moving away from that . What is good. Fundamentals and understanding of how the ball is influenced is all that is needed. Plus a set of eye to keeping things on the rails.

there was a period. I think early 2000s for a few years I think golf was getting very mechanical and there was “a way” to swing the club. It seems to be moving away from that . What is good. Fundamentals and understanding of how the ball is influenced is all that is needed. Plus a set of eye to keeping things on the rails.
Personally, I still see plenty of cookie cutter instruction. It's a different shape than it used to be, and reflective of more modern understandings of things, but it's there. I do feel like the realization/emphasis of speed and distance importance from all the statistical metrics has let more young players and their instructors feel free to find their own way or whatever way to get there off a solid foundation though. And it's cool to see all those ways out there crushing it.

Personally, I still see plenty of cookie cutter instruction. It's a different shape than it used to be, and reflective of more modern understandings of things, but it's there. I do feel like the realization/emphasis of speed and distance importance from all the statistical metrics has let more young players and their instructors feel free to find their own way or whatever way to get there off a solid foundation though. And it's cool to see all those ways out there crushing it.

Cookie cutter will never go completely away. Which is probably fine. Some need that. But it does seem to be less. I could be wrong though.

Cookie cutter will never go completely away. Which is probably fine. Some need that. But it does seem to be less. I could be wrong though.
No, I'd agree. I think with how far the limits are being pushed individual athleticism is allowed to shine a little more.

No, I'd agree. I think with how far the limits are being pushed individual athleticism is allowed to shine a little more.
I mean, to be fair, just like all top level athletes, they all excel and often in spite of their technique.

Yep. A true understanding of the ball flight laws that produce the nine different ball flights can go a long way in helping a player improve and self-diagnose his natural swing pattern and tendencies.

And since we’re often doing the opposite of what we think we’re doing, the extra set of trained eyes can accelerate that learning and improvement. Sometimes, significant improvement comes from the static, pre-shot fundamentals related to grip, aim, stance and posture.

Absolutely love the challenges of this game.

Always reminds me of the best golf commercial ever

This is a great illustration of what I have preached for years and years. Their is only a minuscule difference at the end of their BS ( top if you prefer in either of these players . They all have formed a lever with their dominant hands and their bodies have rotated to accommodate the path those dominant hands instructed - on an angle dictated by the design of the implement chosen for the task. I would guess that their are 20 million high handicappers in the USA who look very similar to these great players. Children can pick up a club for the first time and will look similar!
Yet - some will still continue to tells us their is a difference . Their has got to be some “ magic “ way to achieve this ? Surely it can’t be so simple - I am told by experts that this position can not be easily attained unless you take this back there while making sure your P-6-7 -8 and no. 44 are performed in such and such manner . No wonder this game has been made so hard and so confusing ?
The BS is the least important part of the golf swing. What is going to transpire in the next 2/10 seconds during the DS is the very most important part and where knowledge comes in . Where the rubber meets the road and where all our focus, effort and attention should be directed. That is what these great players are concerned with and the part that must be - preprogrammed!

I think they might look more similar just because the heads will all be in the same spot, but I honestly don't think their positions will be much more similar than they are there really. Having watched breakdowns of most of those guys swings, they're all fairly different on where their hips are, how open, chest height, distance, wrist angles, handle height, etc. at impact and it's why they have different ball flights.
I agree and I see the swings have individuality and they all have the goal of striking the golf ball to move it in a manner they desire. I spent quite a lot of time early on while learning watching various instructors and pros swing and one thing that stood out to me was how different they are to achieve the same end goal.

IMO, there are certain fundamentals that one needs to have just because it is a swing, but the saying, "you do you" fits the bill quite well. Most people if they swing the club enough on the course and are smart enough to observe what works and what doesn't they should learn what to do to produce their best ball strikes the idea being what works the best.

A picture says a thousand words …

Puttmaster- this is an excellent picture. It would even be better if you could do the same with all being at impact?
You have computer skills I don’t possess. Is that possible? Then everyone could see the obvious- that they are also very similar. In fact , I would bet that the angle of the shaft would only be within a few degrees difference!

My swing guru I had for many years was ball/club impact position oriented. To him that was the most important part of the swing.

My swing was what it was.

Sure, there were 3-4 swing things he taught that I needed to do right to get to playable impact position, but his main instruction was the relationship of the hands (grip) and club face before I would even start my swing.

My swing guru I had for many years was ball/club impact position oriented. To him that was the most important part of the swing.

Sure, there were 3-4 swing things he taught that I needed to do right to get to playable impact position, but his main instruction was the relationship of the hands (grip) and club face before I would even start my swing.
Yes sir- your instructor sounds like he is intelligent! Many young instructors get into this technical garbage about how the BS must be performed this way and that way - back here - over their - straight back 12 inches / 16 in/ 18 in ( as if the swing is on an arc like that of a Ferris wheel ) ! Like that is the most important part of the swing???? NAH!
Grips are installed with tape on the butt end of the shaft for one and only one purpose/ to be held by our hands and it is not terry important how you hold it ! Learn how to swing first and work on tweaking the grip later when you become more skilled.
Most of all - don’t read or listen to analysis- observe for yourself what their hands are doing during their DS.

Ball/Club impact position. That's all I understand. Yup, my guy (RIP) made a few very slight swing suggestions, mostly to get me to feel my swing. But set up and ball position and club face was what he concentrated on.

I don't understand position numbers, discussion about where my hands (insert body part here) "should" be.

I only understand where the ball goes and how to change the club face to change its direction.

And I discovered that execution for me, improves with slow motion swinging, all year long.

We all learn differently.

Back