Swinging Too Hard

Lost Golfer

Working on trying to improve
Reaction score
Handicap
I have had a problem with swinging too hard and have really worked at it this year. I now swing my driver and mid to short irons (7 thru wedges)with a smooth controlled tempo and my shots are much less wild. I called it hit impulse. However, I still have a problem when I get to my 4, 5 and 6 irons. I swing back nice and easy and then just swing very hard from the transition going forward like a crazed madman which usually results in a hard low hook going half the distance I intended. Anyone else had this problem and if so, any tips to help me? Thanks!

I have had a problem with swinging too hard and have really worked at it this year. I now swing my driver and mid to short irons (7 thru wedges)with a smooth controlled tempo and my shots are much less wild. I called it hit impulse. However, I still have a problem when I get to my 4, 5 and 6 irons. I swing back nice and easy and then just swing very hard from the transition going forward like a crazed madman which usually results in a hard low hook going half the distance I intended. Anyone else had this problem and if so, any tips to help me? Thanks!
Watch this a lot:

I do what @DaveGolfer15 does, only difference is, I watch a different golfer's warmup swings.

The idea of watching a good tempo swing, over, and over works well for my own swing tempo. It's a visual thing for me, that I use during practice, or play.

As for swinging faster with some clubs, and not others, I might suggest just taking more club. This might cure the problem of over swinging. Me, I see a 7i distance, I pull a 6i. This assures me of getting the ball to my target with my normal swing tempo. No pressure. There's no inclination to swing the 7i faster to make up the distance. A mental thing on my part.

It is unclear what is going through Fred's head as he swings but I have to believe the ball is just getting in the way.

my journey on impluse hitting is far from over and shows its head on drives to chips and seems to become a problem around hole 15. My personal take on the challenge is that loss of tempo is the trail hand taking over way too early. I'm starting to think I might do it when the club gets in the wrong position in the backswing (e.g. too far behind me).

Try swinging with just the left arm. If find the tendency to have a fasts transition is gone. Exception is I don't finish the turn but that is so akward feeling that I correct on next swing. When I see this, I conclude the trail hand is my challenge

Tell yourself smooth tempo. Works for me

I did the same thing for a long time. I've lost close to 40 yards off the driver, but keep the ball in play so much more often now. I used to watch a lot of Ernie Els videos and tried to picture that in my swing. Distance will come from contact, as much as speed. Maybe club up and picture hitting a smoother, almost partial shot. I do that a lot, depending on the layout of the hole.

Tell yourself smooth tempo. Works for me

And baby draw to full draw.

Nice glass of milk after the round?

To OP

It’s a mental thing. Forget you’re hitting 4-6i. Pretend you’re just hitting 9i all the time. You seem like a prime candidate for One Length irons. You just make your 7i swing with all of them. If that’s not an option, lots of folks struggle with long irons. Maybe look at replacing a couple with hybrids?

It is unclear what is going through Fred's head as he swings but I have to believe the ball is just getting in the way.

my journey on impluse hitting is far from over and shows its head on drives to chips and seems to become a problem around hole 15. My personal take on the challenge is that loss of tempo is the trail hand taking over way too early. I'm starting to think I might do it when the club gets in the wrong position in the backswing (e.g. too far behind me).

Try swinging with just the left arm. If find the tendency to have a fasts transition is gone. Exception is I don't finish the turn but that is so akward feeling that I correct on next swing. When I see this, I conclude the trail hand is my challenge

I do feel like the right hand really takes over when I swing hard. That certainly resonates with me. Thank you.

Freddy has been known for saying it looked smooth on the outside but he was trying to smack it as far as he can. It only looks smooth because he has his sequence lined up and is making power that way but still trying to hit it hard.

Distance is the greatest advantage, swing hard, swing fast, practice enough to figure out where it goes most of the time and aim accordingly.

Freddy has been known for saying it looked smooth on the outside but he was trying to smack it as far as he can. It only looks smooth because he has his sequence lined up and is making power that way but still trying to hit it hard.

Distance is the greatest advantage, swing hard, swing fast, practice enough to figure out where it goes most of the time and aim accordingly.
there is a HUGE difference between swinging hard and swinging fast

Focusing on tempo is a good tip. I can get fast from the top if I am not careful and all kinds of bad things happen. When I give myself an extra couple milliseconds during transition to do a better job starting the downswing I end up with more speed and better strikes.

I try to think of hitting all my clubs like a pitching wedge shot... not necessarily digging like a PW, but at a similar tempo.

No one's out there trying to crush their PW, they're just trying to get an easy, accurate shot in the air. That should be your thought with everything. Let the club take care of the distance for you.

Back