Switching back to old irons not sure what to do?

ohio_striker

striped it
Reaction score
Handicap
i have spent about 8 months trying to transition from my previous irons Adams pro golds that i played for about 5 years. The new irons are the cobra bio cells with 85g shafts, the old irons have project X 6.0 120G shafts. i went to the range yesterday and took half of each iron sets.

it was night and day difference i have struggled with the weight and contact with the cobra's. i was only hitting about 2-3 out of 10 flush most misses on the toe for whatever reason i cant fix it i have tired multiple things but no help. not sure if the light weight is not extending my arms enough to make good contact compared with the adams.

when i switched to the adams i was hitting 7-8 out of 10 pure with more accuracy its very odd since the adams are a forged smaller headed players club. they are both d2 swing weight but the feel totally different with the adams with a waaaay heavier head feel.

going forward i am not sure i will be able to deal with a different weight/ feel.

does everyone keep to the same shafts/ weight in their irons when they change or do you make a large change like i did and are able to adjust?

I have J15 CB's with 120g shafts and Fly-z's with around 100 gram shafts and don't seem to notice any issues making contact. I'm just able to swing the Fly-z's faster.

This happened to me when i went from the TaylorMade CB to the SpeedBlade. It look a while to get used to how the swing needed to be to make good solid contact with the SpeedBlades but once i got it figured out it was great. Dont give up just yet. Thats a big jump in swing weight

This happened to me when i went from the TaylorMade CB to the SpeedBlade. It look a while to get used to how the swing needed to be to make good solid contact with the SpeedBlades but once i got it figured out it was great. Dont give up just yet. Thats a big jump in swing weight

i know man but its getting close to a year and i haven't really shot a good score since switching its just frustrating lol

My buddy has my same XR Pro irons with a 102 gram KBS shaft and I don't like them nearly as much as the KBS in mine which weigh about 120 grams.

i know man but its getting close to a year and i haven't really shot a good score since switching its just frustrating lol
have you tried the PX 6.0's in the Cobras?

It takes a while to find the small nuances a new set brings with it. For a lot of us that don't switch regularly we've been playing a set of clubs or style of clubs for years and a different sole, different weight, or different sweet spot location can really screw up our perception of how a club performs short term, unfortunately we give up before the comfortability factor comes in to play.

Play what you believe has the best impact on you game.

I've recently gone back to a set of irons that were "old faithful". I just changed shafts on a set of Mizuno MX 300's and have fallen in love with them all over again. Just hit what suits you!

Maybe I'm doing it wrong. But when I get new irons, I make sure that I get rid of my previous irons. That way, they are out of mind.

I have had problems with really light shafts. They just messed with my tempo and I never could get used to them but maybe you should try a little longer!

Maybe I'm doing it wrong. But when I get new irons, I make sure that I get rid of my previous irons. That way, they are out of mind.
This is me as well. Gotta commit.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

well i my old irons arent worth much and i figured they are a different style of club that i wouldnt mind hitting them every now and then i do love that forged iron pure feel :golf3:

well i my old irons arent worth much and i figured they are a different style of club that i wouldnt mind hitting them every now and then i do love that forged iron pure feel :golf3:

Since I've never felt "forged feel" or even believe it exists outside of our mind, I can't help you there. I also don't subscribe to the "different style" idea.

Since I've never felt "forged feel" or even believe it exists outside of our mind, I can't help you there. I also don't subscribe to the "different style" idea.

well cool ... i guess you dont like a little variety i do .

as far as feel im not going to argue but people know that have hit forged clubs, mizuno's, titlist ect when you it it pure you can hardly feel the ball hit the face.

as far as feel im not going to argue but people know that have hit forged clubs, mizuno's, titlist ect when you it it pure you can hardly feel the ball hit the face.
Welp, in spite of a massive derail, I like variety. I usually get it by changing out putters.

I have owned and played forged and cast irons. They all feel the same to me when struck on the sweetspot. The hard part is finding the sweetspot consistently

What blugold was referring to was that how the club is made has little to do with the feel you are getting. That comes more from shape, metal, sound, etc.

Welp, in spite of a massive derail, I like variety. I usually get it by changing out putters.

I have owned and played forged and cast irons. They all feel the same to me when struck on the sweetspot. The hard part is finding the sweetspot consistently

i guess my experience its been the opposite. it could be from playing the same irons for 5 years then moving to a lighter GI head for whatever reason the players clubs i hit more consistently on the sweet spot

Same swing weight in different Total weight means different frequencies. Basically it's a different MOI, the lighter weight could be an issue if you can't groove your tempo to match the new lighter weight.

I've found that even small changes in shaft weight, overall weight, etc, can take a little time.

I played the same set of irons at a D2 swing swingweight, with 127 gram S300's for 15 years. Any time I would try something different, my consistency would drop for a while, until I gave myself enough reps to adapt.

An over simplification, but everyone has had to adapt to change. It takes time and effort ... or you can go back to your comfort zone.

i have spent about 8 months trying to transition from my previous irons Adams pro golds that i played for about 5 years. The new irons are the cobra bio cells with 85g shafts, the old irons have project X 6.0 120G shafts. i went to the range yesterday and took half of each iron sets.

it was night and day difference i have struggled with the weight and contact with the cobra's. i was only hitting about 2-3 out of 10 flush most misses on the toe for whatever reason i cant fix it i have tired multiple things but no help. not sure if the light weight is not extending my arms enough to make good contact compared with the adams.

when i switched to the adams i was hitting 7-8 out of 10 pure with more accuracy its very odd since the adams are a forged smaller headed players club. they are both d2 swing weight but the feel totally different with the adams with a waaaay heavier head feel.

going forward i am not sure i will be able to deal with a different weight/ feel.

does everyone keep to the same shafts/ weight in their irons when they change or do you make a large change like i did and are able to adjust?

It looks like you bought your new irons without trying them first. If you're consistent with the old ones, why don't you swap out or trade in your new cobras for something more similar to your old irons?

I'm always against changing a swing to fit the club, which especially in your case is a little drastic.

Have you had the lie and fit checked to see if they are the same as the adams?

Back