Switching shafts, plug / weight still in head - help needed

tequila4kapp

Tom Watson called to say “Hi”
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
USGA 13.5
The original shaft is hollow at the tip. The replacement shaft isn't. The plug or weight occupies too much space and prevents the new shaft from seating into the head properly. Do I heat the head and get that weight out? Hollow out the shaft? And how much will the club change of I take out that weight? Thanks in advance for your help.

If its just epoxy holding it in then you should be able to just heat it and let it fall out.

If its just epoxy holding it in then you should be able to just heat it and let it fall out.

Yep. Is it just plastic?

Swing weight on the club is D0. The replacement shaft is a couple of grams heavier (plus whatever difference there is in the grips). What effect will there be in putting in a slightly heavier shaft and taking out that weight? Am I going to mess up the club?

I'n not convinced it's a weight. They put little plugs in some clubs to keep epoxy from going up the shaft. Saves cost supposedly.

Heavier shaft with the same length will bump swing weight up a little.

Oh its in the club. Yuck. Thought it was in the shaft.

They can be a pain. Heat it and use a pair of needle nose.

Little bit of a hassle but I won't mess up the club...got it. Thanks for the help!

It was probably in the end of the shat and got stuck there after removal, if you heat it up then lightly hit it with a drill bit you should be able to jar it loose.

The new shaft you have probably has some epoxy in the end as well. You can drill that out with a small bit and the weight will go in the shaft. If you want to bump up SW a touch.

Update: I got lucky and it came out quite easily. I may have lucked into a decent technique. After heating the area for a couple of minutes I put a very small screw driver between that plug and the inside side wall. I turned the screwdriver, which popped the seal on the plug. From there I turned the head upside down and the plug dropped out. Total effort was no more than 5 minutes. Here's a picture to show the size of the screwdriver

Thanks again everyone for the input and advice.

Looks like that was a plug stop for the epoxy for the original shaft, I'm guessing your new shaft came with a gold plug at the end of it.

Back