Switching to a claw grip

bhilton

Reaction score
Handicap
I posted several times in the Regional Rivalry SEC thread about my putting issues I've been having. I've tried many different things to fix it, but nothing seemed to work. Monday afternoon, I was playing in a skins game at my local course. About 30 minutes before we teed off, I got on the practice green and tried the claw grip. The first thing I noticed was on the shorter putts, I felt like I hit my line and speed almost every time. I kept using it throughout the skins game and ended up rolling in 5 birdies and walked away with about $100 in winnings. For now, I'm definitely going to keep using it.

I do have a question for those that have used that grip before. How did you get used to the longer putts with it? For putts 25 ft and out, I tend to have a problem hitting it hard enough to get it to the hole. My line seems to be fine, but I just can't seem to hit it hard enough.

I've seen people use the claw inside a radius, then a more conventional stroke at distance.

I have gamed the claw grip multiple times over the years. Longer putts were always a challenge and I would just go back to a conventional grip and swing for those. Knock on wood but I think the #7 O Works I just got may have solved a lot of my issues and why I go back and forth with my grip. My miss with a conventional grip is usually always right since I leave the face open at contact. I even aim a little left at times to compensate for the miss. Then I start closing the face and miss everything left...

I've used the claw on a putt here and there in the past but never stuck with it until about two weeks ago. I am much better on short putts and have really improved hitting my line on putts of any length since committing to it. Now if I miss a putt I know I either misread it or peeked too soon, something I am far too guilt of. I personally have not had a problem with distance control on long putts unless they are so long as to require a full turn! :D

Just switched to something claw like as well, not sure if it is exact I just started messing with it and I found I could get consistent line and speed very easily. The greens at my course are pretty small so I don't have trouble with long putts but haven't had a putt over 40 or 45 feet. I imagine just using a normal grip for really long putts will be my way to go unless the greens are lightning quick seeing as how long putts are easy for me or always have been speed wise. I used to putt cross handed under 40 feet so changing is nothing new.

Just switched to something claw like as well, not sure if it is exact I just started messing with it and I found I could get consistent line and speed very easily. The greens at my course are pretty small so I don't have trouble with long putts but haven't had a putt over 40 or 45 feet. I imagine just using a normal grip for really long putts will be my way to go unless the greens are lightning quick seeing as how long putts are easy for me or always have been speed wise. I used to putt cross handed under 40 feet so changing is nothing new.

This is exactly why I switched. As soon as I started using it, I felt extremely confident that I would hit the line and speed on the shorter putts. Those are the ones that have been costing me strokes for a while now. I still get the line right on the longer putts, I just have a hard time hitting the ball hard enough. It may take some time to get used to it, or I may need to use the conventional grip for those putts.

Back