Switching to graphite shafts from steel

shadow0861

World's Okayest Golfer
Reaction score
Handicap
I have a bit of a mixed bag when it comes to what clubs I use. All my clubs from 5i to LW are steel shafted, and I am looking to switch to graphite possibly. I have read most of the time that you can just trade out shafts, no weights needed to make it not feel weird.
I play TT XP115 Stiff shafts right now and stock heavier wedge shafts in all three wedges.
I will likely be going down to an 80-ish gram graphite shaft. Is it true that while there will be a learning curve, the clubs should be playable with just the shafts and grips, no weights?
I know that opinions will vary, and I don’t want to go down a rabbit hole of what brand or swingweight is best, just that you don’t have to add weight to a graphite shaft to make it playable at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a bit of a mixed bag when it comes to what clubs I use. All my clubs from 5i to LW are steel shafted, and I am looking to switch to graphite possibly. I have read most of the time that you can just trade out shafts, no weights needed to make it not feel weird.
I play TT XP115 Stiff shafts right now and stock heavier wedge shafts in all three wedges.
I will likely be going down to an 80-ish gram graphite shaft. Is it true that while there will be a learning curve, the clubs should be playable with just the shafts and grips, no weights?
I know that opinions will vary, and I don’t want to go down a rabbit hole of what brand or swingweight is best, just that you don’t have to add weight to a graphite shaft to make it playable at all.

No need to add weight unless you want to. I’m currently doing this exact thing - going from 116 grams to 86 grams of graphite. The modern graphite shafts are way better than they used to be.

I made switch from TT XP 95 shafts in old gamers to Project X Catalyst 80's in my Cobra Speedzones. The feel is just so good.

I tried steel this spring after using graphite, but switched back to another set. Graphite will always win in my bag now. To me, they feel more smooth and much more forgiving on my wrists.

Steel were 130 grams, graphite are 95.

That’s what I was hoping to hear. Any different (heavier) shaft in the wedges?

That’s what I was hoping to hear. Any different (heavier) shaft in the wedges?

For a while I had recoils in my irons that were about 83g and I had the Recoil 95 in my wedges. Seriously though, if you are playing a 115 shaft I think you better look at a 110 or 120 graphite. My understanding is depending on your transition, heavier or lighter shafts can make a huge difference.

While I didn't go too much lighter from the 120g shafts I had been playing, this year I made the switch to Recoil 110's and I love them

You do not need to add weight to make graphite shafts playable.

Some people get twitchy over 5g weight difference. I’m in the other camp - after 5 or 10 swings I adapt to the new weight and it starts feeling normal. YMMV.

Get fit is the best option if available to you. The flex is just as important in graphite as it is in steel.

Since the graphite shafts are lighter, the swing weight of your clubs will change.

Since the graphite shafts are lighter, the swing weight of your clubs will change.
Not necessarily. Total weight doesn’t impact swing weight. Weight placement and balance of it in the shaft will dictate that.

Not necessarily. Total weight doesn’t impact swing weight. Weight placement and balance of it in the shaft will dictate that.

I thought, for example, a change in shaft weight of 9 grams will yield a 1-swing weight change in the club. I always though lighter shafts decrease swing weight? My clubs are +2-inches with the Catalyst 65 gram graphite shaft and the SW is E3. The fitter told me a heavier weighted steel shaft would make the club feel like a sledge hammer, lol

I thought, for example, a change in shaft weight of 9 grams will yield a 1-swing weight change in the club. I always though lighter shafts decrease swing weight? My clubs are +2-inches with the Catalyst 65 gram graphite shaft and the SW is E3. The fitter told me a heavier weighted steel shaft would make the club feel like a sledge hammer, lol
Depends on where the weight is in the shaft, it’s why there is no hard and fast rule to that. Overall weight of the shaft can change, but if the balance doesn’t change then there won’t be the impact some thing it will have. Example, I pulled 120g steel shafts from CMB’s and replaced with the same length Recoil 95’s and the swing weight changed half a point.

Also, he’s referring to overall weight, not swing weight, going from 65g catalyst to fill steel would produce a much higher overall/static weight that you would notice, but not necessarily impact the swing weight as much as one might think.

I switched from Modus 120TX to Mitsubishi MMT 125TX. No weight added and the MMT's feel and perform better in every way. I'll never go back to steel.

Depends on where the weight is in the shaft, it’s why there is no hard and fast rule to that. Overall weight of the shaft can change, but if the balance doesn’t change then there won’t be the impact some thing it will have. Example, I pulled 120g steel shafts from CMB’s and replaced with the same length Recoil 95’s and the swing weight changed half a point.

I see, so if I used a heavier grip, and added multiple wraps for example, that would decrease the SW. I wish my clubs had a bit lower SW. I could add a heavier grip, but then the static weight would increase and am not sure I would want that.

I see, so if I used a heavier grip, and added multiple wraps for example, that would decrease the SW. I wish my clubs had a bit lower SW. I could add a heavier grip, but then the static weight would increase and am not sure I would want that.
Yep, weight added to the back end will decrease swing weight, but increase total weight.

Last year I changed out my stock ping AWT steel shafts at 95 G for recoil 760 smacwrap 69G shafts and I have gained a few MPH in swing speed and got back to my old distances. But the big reason was to protect my wrists and elbows. And I have to tell you....my arms love it! They feel great And I can feel right away a good shot.
I will always play graphite now!

You do not need to add weight to make graphite shafts playable.

Some people get twitchy over 5g weight difference. I’m in the other camp - after 5 or 10 swings I adapt to the new weight and it starts feeling normal. YMMV.
I am much more like this, I think. I adapt to changes in grip and stance very quick. I just like the feel of a graphite shaft instead of iron. Funny story about that: I carry my 16* 3W about 240 yards, but my favorite club I ever owned was an old rescue with a senior flex shaft. Go figure.

Back