Tacos: Soft vs Hard Shell

Hard. Like golf, I like the challenge. ;)

Which do you prefer and why?
I fluctuate. I’ve been on a crunchy taco kick for a while now. I still love the Double Decker concept from Taco Bell even though those aren’t real tacos. 🤣

Soft.
I spent over half of my life a blissfully ignorant gringo thinking that a hard shell taco from Taco Bell was Mexican food. Until a GF showed me the joy of homemade "street style" soft tacos. :drool:

Thanks for the pic @jazi95
1632422958958.png

I'll take a taco of any sort but I prefer soft flour.

Soft corn. I also like hard every once in a while to switch it up, but definitely prefer the soft corn.

Soft corn, doubled up. They taste better and make the taco more authentic.

soft tacos are certainly easier to eat and keep yourself clean lol. I typically prefer soft CORN tortillas if they are homemade and well done. I prefer the texture and the taste over a soft flour tortillas.

Deep fried!

Use the hardshell flats instead of shells at home but enjoy soft to avoid the mess and break up chips for taco salad with what's left over...NO waste
20210527_105714.jpg

Ground/shredded beef: Hard shell corn

Lengua, cabeza, carne asada, carnitas, tripas, etc. - Soft shell corn

Fish - Soft shell flour

The proper answer is soft corn tortilla.

The correct answer to soft shell or hard shell taco? Yes, please.
If forced to choose I would go with hard shell, but both are great.

Soft always. Now I will let a soft corn tortilla crisp up in oil a little bit, but it'll still be foldable and stay together.

Soft always. Now I will let a soft corn tortilla crisp up in oil a little bit, but it'll still be foldable and stay together.
That's often referred to as "flash fried". A little crispy, but still foldable and doesn't crack like a hard corn shell.

Combo for me. Cheesy Gordita Crunch is the best of both worlds.
1632434109894.png

Soft, but also a double decker with both and beans between

Soft, but also a double decker with both and beans between
I hadn't been to Taco Bell in years, and on a whim, I went to one a few weeks ago. No Mexi-Melt and no Double-Decker Taco... WTF?

I hadn't been to Taco Bell in years, and on a whim, I went to one a few weeks ago. No Mexi-Melt and no Double-Decker Taco... WTF?
Luckily when we make them at home I can still have them!

I'm usually a one of each at the taco shop. At home soft

I prefer soft tacos. Just always have.

Ground beef tacos, hard shell. Street tacos, soft corn tortillas. Not a huge fan of flour tortillas.
Yup, this is the right answer for me.

flour. hard, soft...but flour.

I love all tacos. However, I do prefer soft flour tortillas. Just more flexible in what you can do with them, and I like the flavor better than corn.

Soft tacos are my go to but won't turn down a hard taco. Soft is just easier to eat and I prefer the taste.

Back