Take out new, non-fit sticks today?

imabadgolfer

Reaction score
Handicap
15ish
I've been playing big Ping Rapture shovels w/stiff AWT for around 9 years, they are large, lotsa offset, UGI clubs that I know well, distances are all dialed in.
I bought a set of Z 565's, which are much smaller, much less offset, w/R shafts, and they haven't been fitted yet(lie board today after golf, LM for yardage info Friday night).
I've only hit 1 bucket with these, and unfortunately, it was off mats, and I'm a digger, so it wasn't a great assessment (I had to choke down a bit)... pretty darn certain they need to be bent flat, and I have no distance #'s for them(lofts are stronger of course).
Today's round is informal, on a wide forgiving course that I know very well.
Should I take them out for a test drive, knowing distances are off, and that they are too upright?
I can choke down on them a bit for the lie, and use that to also keep the distances close, but I have a feeling it could get messy.
I wanna do it, but even with the course conditions above, I'd still like to shoot decent.

What say you?

Thanks

I’d take them out. You’ll know what you need to change. I’m thinking about it like the Handcrafted Experience test shaft - get some feedback, give it to your fitter.

Last edited:
Yeah, I've been going back and forth with this for the last 2 days, 1 minute yes, next minute no...

I guess I can just say:
"I'm giving you guys a chance today"?

Always have to take the new sticks out for a test drive!

Sent from HTX

Let's see....old clubs you want to replace or new clubs you still have to get used to....NEW CLUBS!

You can get a gauge on any lie angle adjustments with the divots you are leaving or ball flight and could be able to get general distances down pretty quickly (they don't change that much in this transition).

Take them out.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

You don't have anything to lose by playing with them, but will gain some understanding of what you just bought. Plus new and shiny!!!! Definitely play with them.

Take the new clubs out and erase from your mind what you think you need to do to them. 1 range session off a crappy matt is hardly a guage to go by. Just concentrate on making good contact all day long.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Today's round is informal, on a wide forgiving course that I know very well.

There's no place to get feedback than on the course and if it's wide, forgiving, and you know it well, you won't get into too much trouble and you'll have familiar areas for yardage comparisons.

Got to take them out.

A few other things....
The 565's are a bit longer, more upright (Double whammy, pretty sure my current clubs are already a bit too upright), and they don't have square grooves (which could be big, we'll see).
I'm taking them out, I'm just glad my temper is under control now Thanks to THP.

Thanks Guys

A few other things....
The 565's are a bit longer, more upright (Double whammy, pretty sure my current clubs are already a bit too upright), and they don't have square grooves (which could be big, we'll see).
I'm taking them out, I'm just glad my temper is under control now Thanks to THP.

Thanks Guys

Just treat it as information gathering and have fun. The good news is you've got a built in excuse if things don't go well :act-up: - but you may end up surprising yourself.

Take out new, non-fit sticks today?

What course are you playing? I grew up on the South Shore

Sent from HTX

DW in Brockton, it doesn't get much more forgiving than that, and it's in VG shape.
What course are you playing? I grew up on the South Shore

Sent from HTX

Gotta take the new sticks out. Even if it's just for the experience of going from a cast to a forged club. The fitting will take care of the particulars. Go enjoy those Srixon beauty's.

Sent from my LG-M430 using Tapatalk

Not going well, played a great 5i hook around trees from left rough on 2nd hole and awesome 3rd with 9i....
Then fat 4, fat 8, fat 7... frustration is mounting.

Why delay the getting to know you period? Just get out there and start enjoying the new clubs, and marvel at the improvement if the fitting adjusts things for you.

I know them, and right now it's bad... another fatty, this time a wedge.
BST is looking good right now unfortunately.

I know them, and right now it's bad... another fatty, this time a wedge.
BST is looking good right now unfortunately.

It’s your first round with a set of clubs you just bought. Give them a chance. No sense in selling them after using them for one round for a loss of money

Sent from HTX

Take a deep breath and give them a few rounds. You're changing from clubs you've had for 9 years is not going to be a overnight change.
I've had my new clubs for almost 2 months and I'm still adjusting but every time out I feel more comfortable with them

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk

That post was after ANOTHER poor shot, frustration was fully involved, as far as I've come with my temper, I do still get frustrated, and laying the Sod 3 or 4 times in a row would probably stretch a Saints sanity.
I did hit some decent shots with them(mostly drawing left,though a few we're mint).

I have no intention of moving these clubs guys, AAMOF, I just got done with a Lie board, need -2* (flat), which was pretty evident to me, and funny enough, what a static fitting says.
You'd THINK that means I'm coming back to the ball decent if that's the case, but I'm not a fitter, so it could mean I got lucky, and I really stink!?
I will say that the few I pured felt awesome, nice high ballflight with juice to stop, which was a concern going in.

All Good In The Hood Fellas!

Thanks for the encouragement, much appreciated

Last edited:
A few observations from today's catastrophe..
These clubs are WAY smaller, with a far thinner topline, and less offset, which I like.
I didn't hit any HRockets(not even that planned BIG hook under and around trees- I know that shot...guess why?), and I wasn't nervous about the smaller size.
Maltbys MPF has my Raptures listed as UGI clubs, at 900+, these are listed as conventional and like 487 or something...he doesn't even list these as GI clubs by his physics metrics...I guess he considers these FAR harder to control.

I'm not afraid, I KNOW I can handle these.

Back