Take Your Medicine vs Hero Shot?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Which route do you go on the course after a wayward shot?

I take my medicine 90% of the time. The other 10% is far from a "heroic" effort, but more like a calculated risk. (Which has about a 10% success rate. :()

I love the hero shot when I'm just out playing solo. In a match though, mostly it's the safe play.

I have been getting better about not taking unnecessary risks. The new mantra is never hit shots I don’t practice.

I'm in that 90% group of taking my medicine. On the rare occasion I will try the hero shot, but I have found that my scores are better in the long run without trying the hero shot.

95% of the time I am taking my medicine, I am not good enough to pull off the hero shot that often.
I am embracing old man golf!!!

Take my medicine.... and another drink.

I think I'm a 75/25 medicine. And frankly, most of the 25s fail miserably.... But, not like one would think, it'll hit something that's frequently not considered possible!

Never follow up a bad shot with another bad shot.
Take my medicine and move on to the next swing.

I refuse to take my medicine if I see ANY avenue that I might be able to get the ball closer to the hole

Mostly going to take my medicine unless playing in a $kin$ pot. Then it's hero shot unless playing safe still leaves birdie on the table. Pars and triples are the same in our skins games.

100% hero shot. We are out there to have fun. Have fun and duff the hero shot, you never know it may work out and you have a story to tell all season.

In my youth I would go for the hero shot. But now punch out and get a better shot. Look at how Rory's caddie talked him into a drop which resulted in a win. Might have still won with the hero shot. But that rough looked thick.
I have far less double bogeys as a result

I will take my medicine and get back to a playable lie. Every now and then i might try a shot i should not but it normally makes it worse lol

9 times out of 10 I take my medicine. Occasionally I try the hero shot, and it usually doesn't work out.

Likely 100% hero shot - it's not going to hurt me more than already. I play to have fun, if I were going to be a very serious person or if others had to rely on me I would go with the safe shot every time. I'm not good enough for serious play, I play seriously and I try to do well but I'm not going to go out of my way to play it safe when hitting it over the obstacle is just so fun. I average 1 GIR a round, so missing a hero shot isn't going hurt my stats.

Taking my medicine unless the hero shot is a low punch shot. I have a lot of confidence in executing those.

Split. Medicine to hero shot about 70/30. Half the time I take my medicine it’s still a bogey or worse anyway though so the hero shot adds to the fun! If I’m in a match or anything though, I will make the safe play

95% of the time I am taking my medicine, I am not good enough to pull off the hero shot that often.
I am embracing old man golf!!!

100% taking my medicine.

Frankly it depends on a number of things. First is what is the round I am playing in. If it is a medal play tournament I take my medicine. If it is a casual round if I have a 50% chance to be successful I generally take it. In match play it depends on where my opponent is. I tend to be more aggressive in that situation if my opponent is in a good position.

If I am out playing by myself I generally take the hero shot as long as there is a 20% chance of success unless I am shooting a particularly good score then I will take my medicine.

Which route do you go on the course after a wayward shot?
I'm conservative most of the time. I'll take the dose and get back into position. Sometimes, most especially around the green, I forget that little kernel of knowledge and try to hit the hero shot when I should be making sure my next shot is a putt.

I tend to Take My Medicine 90% of the time; just hate the percentage of making a bad situation worse...

Back