Take Your Medicine vs Hero Shot?

I refuse to take my medicine if I see ANY avenue that I might be able to get the ball closer to the hole

I have a similar approach 😂

The older I get, the more conservative I am on these shots. 10 years ago it was hero or bust. Now it is probably at least 50% safe. If it calls for a left to right ball flight, the safe % is closer to 100.

75% of the round take medicine... 25% i hero it and 90% of the time end up blowing up the hole because of said hero shot.

Right now, it depends on the shot and the round I'm having.

I used to try hard to make up for the shot I just missed so the default would be hero shot. Now I'm more conservative and my scores have actually improved as result. I'd say I'm about 95% take my medicine.

Take my medicine 99% of the time. Never follow a bad shot with a stupid shot.

Take my medicine. Unless it is a shot I have practiced, the hero shot usually doesn't end up too well.

I should take my medicine. But too often I play for the miracle shot.

Sometimes it works out..!
19cec7aa064a9923eaed14393e889cbf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't mind a little calculated risk. Not crazy risks, but ones that are within my confidence level. The creative side is fun, seeing what you can pull off.

2 years or more ago it was 100% of the time Hero shot.

Now that I'm older and wiser its dropped to 90%

95% medicine / 95% hero shots

Depends. I know my limitations but will push edge if need to.

I try for the safe shot and get back into the fairway if I can.

For most of my golfing career I didn't have the consistency or control to pull off a hero shot, so I learned to take my medicine. Now-a-days I've got quite a repertoire of recovery shots. So, I'll assess the situation.

If it's just a casual round and I think it's a shot I could pull off regularly with some practice, I'll take the opportunity to do so. If it's in a tournament and I don't feel like I can pull it off at least 8 of of 10 tries and failure is penal, I'll take my medicine. Occasionally, you'll have a shot that even if you don't pull it off you aren't in much worse shape than bailing out. Those are risks worth taking.

It really depends on the what the circumstances are, match play, team score etc., I really don't play any individual score events anymore so unless my teammate(s) are in jail too, I'm making some kind of play towards the green.

Usually I’ll take my medicine but it really depends on the shot required

I am getting way better about taking my medicine. I probably make the smart shot if I get into trees or a hazard 4 out of 5 times. Sometimes I can't help myself if I think it is a 50/50 shot.

75% of the round take medicine... 25% i hero it and 90% of the time end up blowing up the hole because of said hero shot.
That 3 wood worked out pretty good! 🎰

Depends on the course and how the bailout for the hero shot is, these days, i will take my meds and punch out to a decent distance i think i can get uni and down from

If I’m really trying to score well I’m taking my medicine most of the time. If I’ve already blown my chances of scoring well, I’m going Hero every time.

90% I try the Hero shot. I know my limits.🤣 If I have a bad round going I will try the Hero shot 100% of the time. A good round going and I will think about it a little more and weigh the risk and reward. There is usually no money evolved so I am more inclined to try the shot. Makes for better stories and memories when I pull it off. Best hero shot I have had was from under the trees left of the fairway on #10 @ Torrey Pines South. 170 yards out and I hit it on the green with a 30 yard hook that never got more than 20 feet off the ground. I will always remember that shot.

I know I should take my medicine... however I know I can get the ball closer if I take the shot... and it almost never works out 😆

Rule #1 - get the ball back in play as quickly as possible. 100% taking my medicine.

Back