Taking a mini golf break

GoldenBuff

slow horse
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I am taking a mini golf break for a few to several weeks. I even rolled up my home putting mat. I will play league each week but not much else. I noticed that lately all the work, home, and life junk was coming with me on the course. And I believe as a result my game has suffered. For the first time I had a couple of rounds that weren't fun. Usually practicing or playing golf is where everything external goes away for awhile, and I love that. A little break feels like a good idea. Rather than set any kind of formal timeline, I will ramp back up when the spirit moves me. Who knows, maybe that will be tomorrow.

Anyone else need or on a break or have inspirational stories about how you took a break and came back with a dragon master level mental state and started playing near Tour level golf? 😉

Hope the golf spirt comes back soon for you man!

I get the feeling and make the plan often. I've learned for me being completely burned out, not having fun, and needing a break, lasts about 2 days. Because it's on tv constantly, I read this forum, they keep making new clubs, and I am a sick, sick man. So I go from wanting to throw up just thinking about it, to pacing and twitching around the house in one short weekend. :LOL:

Good luck to you on this endeavor. It'll be there whenever you're ready to enjoy it. (y)

I thought you were literally taking a break from Mini-Golf. :D:D

But I know exactly what you mean. Sometimes it needs t happen for a mini reset in the brain to take place.

I stopped playing from 2009-2015, playing only once a year in a scramble during those years. When I came back to golf in 2016, I had a new attitude and to this day, I enjoy every round I play.

I stopped playing from 2009-2015, playing only once a year in a scramble during those years. When I came back to golf in 2016, I had a new attitude and to this day, I enjoy every round I play.

So when you “came back”, what did you notice that was different?

...Anyone else need or on a break or have inspirational stories about how you took a break and came back with a dragon master level mental state and started playing near Tour level golf? 😉
I'll let you know tomorrow. We've had family in town and tomorrow is my first round in two weeks, the longest break I've taken in a few years. Can't even tell you how much I'm looking forward to getting back out there!

So when you “came back”, what did you notice that was different?

Same attitude whether I play great or play poorly. Enjoy every roumd regardless of how I play or score.

I've taken a year off a couple times. Just burnt out, not enjoying things, putting too much pressure on myself (especially during league).

When I came back, I am more chill. Just enjoy being out again, and having some time away from the house. Enjoying it as the recreation it is supposed to be, and not the stressful situation I made it into.

Some times it is just necessary to find where you are and where you are going. You will know when the time is right to come back to it. It may surprise you how much more fun the game can be when you do.

Side note, Plan on having fun come August, looking forward to some great golf with you and @Muchmore18

I played nine holes today, I'd plan on taking another three year break after a terrible eight holes. On the ninth hole I hit two perfect shots and the compression of a well struck golf shot pulled me back in. Can't wait till my next round....I think I found something.

Same attitude whether I play great or play poorly. Enjoy every roumd regardless of how I play or score.

I can appreciate the mindset. I found a lot of Karen’s that were more worried about whether their belt matched their head covers or if they weren’t getting the right launch angle and spin rate from their “gamers” on the simulator. Or if they had the correct rangefinder or how they felt about cavity backs vs. blades. Or that the new whiz bang driver really added 5 yards. Blah, blah, blah.

Whah. 😥

Hey man, the gals and kids are away....how about 18 and a beer?

Boom, let’s roll......

I get the feeling and make the plan often. I've learned for me being completely burned out, not having fun, and needing a break, lasts about 2 days. Because it's on tv constantly, I read this forum, they keep making new clubs, and I am a sick, sick man. So I go from wanting to throw up just thinking about it, to pacing and twitching around the house in one short weekend. :LOL:

Good luck to you on this endeavor. It'll be there whenever you're ready to enjoy it. (y)

yep, this. when golf stops being fun, i walk away. but then i see it on tv. or watch a video on the youtubes. or read thp. and the itch must be scratched.

We went to coffee shop in the morning and a pop up art gallery last night, and I had a great time. Engaging in community is fundamental to who I am. Covid-19 changed so much and golf became a solace to the great shutdown. I also worked very hard on my golf game for the last 1.5 years, and I think I simply need to build in more balance in how I use my time. A few days without any golf activity, and I already feel the itch coming back. My left hand and wrist stopped hurting too. (y)

So you're playing golf every week and that's taking a break? not so sure about that.

I like the winter break we have around here, it's good to clear the mind and start fresh with clear thoughts, I don't bother with the indoor sims or putting mats, I really like to get away from the game for a bit.

So you're playing golf every week and that's taking a break? not so sure about that.

I like the winter break we have around here, it's good to clear the mind and start fresh with clear thoughts, I don't bother with the indoor sims or putting mats, I really like to get away from the game for a bit.

I said "mini" break. :D

You may be right. A longer break could be a good idea. I did a lot of golf activity the last 2 winters, maybe too much. I certainly spent a bunch of money of sim time. This winter might be a nice time to reset the brain, body, and wallet for golf.

I didn't do anything golf since league last Tuesday. Playing tonight in 18+mph winds and temps that will be around 90F. Big heat wave here and winds as a new system starts to bring in more seasonally normal weather.

This is the first time in a couple of years where I didn't do some golf activity for a week, at least a week where I could have easily played or practiced. I have honestly enjoyed taking a break from the intensity I bring to golf. My frustrations feel like a distant memory. I look forward to playing tonight.

I didn't do anything golf since league last Tuesday. Playing tonight in 18+mph winds and temps that will be around 90F. Big heat wave here and winds as a new system starts to bring in more seasonally normal weather.

This is the first time in a couple of years where I didn't do some golf activity for a week, at least a week where I could have easily played or practiced. I have honestly enjoyed taking a break from the intensity I bring to golf. My frustrations feel like a distant memory. I look forward to playing tonight.
At least you picked a nice day to come back!:oops:

If playing golf once a week is considered taking a break, then I am constantly on a break

If I was taking a break, the clubs go away and I don't go to the course or practice for at least a couple weeks - reading the forum or watching something on social media doesn't fill me with the urge to play when I make a conscious decision to take a break, but that is just me

It's all good to take a break.
I'm talking one now before my vacation in Orlando next month.
I plan to play and visit parks for 10 days a possible feat ?

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

I try to golf 2-3 times a week with range sessions and gym time in-between and sometimes the body just needs a break. I think you'll find that you will play a lot smoother when you do come back

Back