Taking less putts

My grip is also quite firm on the club. Maybe if I lighten it a bit?

I've done that before, where I lighten my grip on the club, and my distance control was fantastic.

Same goes for my long game. A nice relaxed grip and the ball flies really well.

I'll certainly try the shoulders thing. Never heard putting taught that way before but what the hell, let's give it a shot.

My grip is also quite firm on the club. Maybe if I lighten it a bit?

I've done that before, where I lighten my grip on the club, and my distance control was fantastic.

Same goes for my long game. A nice relaxed grip and the ball flies really well.

I'll certainly try the shoulders thing. Never heard putting taught that way before but what the hell, let's give it a shot.

You stated earlier that you are a handsy putter then you say you have a firm grip. The two do not go together.

Modern day putting uses the big muscles to get the ball rolling, arms and shoulders.

You seem to have a lot going on. Describe your putting stroke a bit more.
1. How you you power your stroke? arms, shoulders, left side, right side??
2. Do you take the same length stroke for alll putts and change tempo or change different length stroke with same tempo
3. Are you able to start your ball on your intended line? If not, do you miss more to the left, right, or no consistency. How do you do if there is no hole? How do you do if you close your eyes on those short putts?

Im taking a lesson with a teaching pro this friday so i think we'll figure it out.

My stroke is kind of a loop it goes outside and then back in. My line is fine its the speed with my lag putts outside of 25 feet. On the other hand my short putting i can never get it online, mostly because i keep reading too much break. With my speed being about a foot past the hole with my short putts its difficult to keep it online.

Taking less putts

In my opinion missing 2 footers means you aren't aligned properly and / or you aren't controlling the club face and keeping it square to the target at impact. I'd recommend working on those things. If you solve one and are still having problems than you know it's the other. Any easy way to see what's happening with the clubface at impact it is to put a 6 inch piece of plastic PVC pipe.if you can make it roll pure without either and getting ahead of the other and then you know your club face is pretty darn square. If the paper rolls in an uneven manner you will learn if you were coming through heal or toe first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would strongly suggest a few putting lessons along with a fitting. If you're taking 40 putts there is likely a major flaw in your aim, set-up, or stroke that a good instructor could help you fix rather painlessly.

Last edited:
There are a couple of fundamentals that help me (ball in the middle your stance and hold the follow through) but the most effective thing I did to improve my putting is a simple practice change.
When you practice, use a tee as your target. Use any putting drill you like and do it until you can hit a tee consistently. Putt at a tee for awhile and the hole will look huge. With the added confidence you can relax and make a good roll.
This also helps a lot when the practice green is crowded. I set up two tees 15 feet apart in an out of way part of the green and putt four or five balls back and forth or practice hitting a tee from five feet.

There are a couple of fundamentals that help me (ball in the middle your stance and hold the follow through) but the most effective thing I did to improve my putting is a simple practice change.
When you practice, use a tee as your target. Use any putting drill you like and do it until you can hit a tee consistently. Putt at a tee for awhile and the hole will look huge. With the added confidence you can relax and make a good roll.
This also helps a lot when the practice green is crowded. I set up two tees 15 feet apart in an out of way part of the green and putt four or five balls back and forth or practice hitting a tee from five feet.

Thanks. I'll try this.

A lot of that, like everything in golf, is mental. Maybe you're putting too much pressure on yourself on those short ones. Already feel like you're not great at them, and would be pissed if you missed, whereas, from distance, you're just trying to get it close, so not as much pressure on yourself. Sometimes easing off of yourself and trying to focus instead of basically trying too hard can pay dividends

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same idea -- I toss a ball marker on the carpet at home and use that as my practice target. It's way smaller than a hole. My goal is to roll my putt directly over the marker and stop it within about 6 inches behind there. I figure at that speed it would surely drop, had it been an actual hole.

I have changed my putting practice routine and seen benefits. I start at 3' hitting a dozen or so straight-in putts, making sure I have alignment, tempo and follow through the same on every stroke. Back up to 6' and continue. Back up to 9'. Then I go roll some 20'+ putts to get my lag distance dialed. This has produced a noticeable improvement. Do the same thing as part of pre-round warmup.

Back