taking your go to club out of the bag

NestmanJ

Reaction score
Handicap
snow
hey guys, I am playing tomorrow with out my go to club. My 5 wood i can always count on this club if my driver fails me off the tee i am trying to get over the mental fact that it is going to be out of my bag. I am currently waiting on a new shaft that was suppose to arrive today but it still has not, and as of right now i will not have time to build and have it set properly before teeing off tomorrow i was wondering if any one else has dealt with this or a similar situation

Just go without your driver. If this is your first round without one, you'd be in for a nice surprise. You may even shoot better tomorrow.

I remember my first round without any woods just 3hy, 5hy, 7-lw and a putter I was actually doing ok. After the first few holes of hitting a 7i instead of 9i or Pw to the green I learned to manage the course better, even took some lay up shots and ended up with great result. There's nothing to worry about it's a fun challenge, heck you may even like it. You'll learn quickly that you'd start hitting the rest of the club a bit longer without a driver in the bag.

Driver for many is a crutch and not even a good one. If you tee off with 5 wood or even 5 hy and hit the fairway, you are a few clubs shorter than the drives that hit the fairway, all you have to do is make a good club selection, pick a conservative target and hit it aggressively. If you lay up you'd only add one more shot to the hole. Your driver often enough result in 2-3 additional strokes.

Just get out there and have fun.

You're reshafting your go-to club? I would leave that alone and work on the don't-go-to clubs first. Are you just replacing a broken shaft?

You're reshafting your go-to club? I would leave that alone and work on the don't-go-to clubs first. Are you just replacing a broken shaft?

yes last time out something did not feel right with the shaft flex in my hand and on further looking i had some stress fractures

Just go without your driver. If this is your first round without one, you'd be in for a nice surprise. You may even shoot better tomorrow.

I remember my first round without any woods just 3hy, 5hy, 7-lw and a putter I was actually doing ok. After the first few holes of hitting a 7i instead of 9i or Pw to the green I learned to manage the course better, even took some lay up shots and ended up with great result. There's nothing to worry about it's a fun challenge, heck you may even like it. You'll learn quickly that you'd start hitting the rest of the club a bit longer without a driver in the bag.

Driver for many is a crutch and not even a good one. If you tee off with 5 wood or even 5 hy and hit the fairway, you are a few clubs shorter than the drives that hit the fairway, all you have to do is make a good club selection, pick a conservative target and hit it aggressively. If you lay up you'd only add one more shot to the hole. Your driver often enough result in 2-3 additional strokes.

Just get out there and have fun.

as for my driver i can hit it pretty well, just on some of those holes that i need my 5 wood to hit those tight fairways and short par 4's that i need a nice lay up or for the par 5 that i want to try to get it close in two. I have played with out a driver and woods in my bag for about 4 years back in my teens and early twenties when i just could not hit a drive to save my life. Granted it helped my iron play a lot

I have a back up to every club for this reason. First thing I would recommend is getting with a PGA Pro in your area and work on the driver. For me, the driver is my go to club on most long holes. Pretty hard to lose the distance on par 5's and long par 4's that the driver offers.

I have a back up to every club for this reason. First thing I would recommend is getting with a PGA Pro in your area and work on the driver. For me, the driver is my go to club on most long holes. Pretty hard to lose the distance on par 5's and long par 4's that the driver offers.

yeah i wish i had a back up for this reason but sadly it is not in the cards for me to have a back up set, and i have no problems hitting my driver it is just for those tighter fairways and shorter par 4's that a lay up is required and the i am going for it par 5's

hey guys, I am playing tomorrow with out my go to club. My 5 wood i can always count on this club if my driver fails me off the tee i am trying to get over the mental fact that it is going to be out of my bag. I am currently waiting on a new shaft that was suppose to arrive today but it still has not, and as of right now i will not have time to build and have it set properly before teeing off tomorrow i was wondering if any one else has dealt with this or a similar situation

Just a matter of opinion, but if it's a go-to club, why change it?

Not sure I'd ever face this scenario.

replacing the shaft due to stress fractures. trust me i did not want to face this scenario it just sort of happened

Right now my go to is my 4h. Luckily for me, I have my previous hybrids before I went down to 1. Even luckier, even though my backup is a 3h, it's still the same loft. I liked my previous Halo 3h, but not nearly as much as my TM '09.

Hopefully you can get it reshafted quickly and don't let the mental side of it affect the rest of your game. Any other woods just laying around the house?

I honestly don't get the idea of a go-to club. Every club has a purpose, and I'm not going to use an 8 iron when a 5 iron is indicated just because I hit the 8 iron more consistently. I don't have a single club in my bag that I could call a go-to club. There are some I like better, and when the option presents itself I'll try to put myself in the range of one of them, but I'm still only going to use it when the situation calls for it.

I honestly don't get the idea of a go-to club. Every club has a purpose, and I'm not going to use an 8 iron when a 5 iron is indicated just because I hit the 8 iron more consistently. I don't have a single club in my bag that I could call a go-to club. There are some I like better, and when the option presents itself I'll try to put myself in the range of one of them, but I'm still only going to use it when the situation calls for it.

the "go to club" is just a saying it is a club that you feel comfortable hitting. No matter how good or bad your round is going, maybe it is the club you hit after you have a few bad shots in a row, or after you 3 putt and you hit that sweet one down the pipe on to the fairway, maybe if you hit your drive OB and are playing a provisional you want to hit that club i am not saying there is a magic club out there that can change lofts to what you need

I was without my driver for a week or two and was surprised at how I struggled without it, even though it's only one club. I guess because at most skill levels, you take a club you hit better than your handicap out of the bag, or one that you just have confidence in, and who knows.

If you're looking for positives I took it as an opportunity to try a cheaper driver with a different shaft flex or a chance to practice with some other clubs.

Back