Tales of Golf Karma

theoverswinger

Reaction score
Handicap
16.2 UNHS
I don't know if there was a thread like this before, and I could be wrong, but we may have stories where karma shows up in golf.I'll start with a couple:

Back when my handicap was 30, I got introduced to a guy who's been known to one of the better players. Upon learning my handicap, he says on the first tee, "Man, that's not a handicap, that's a waistline." I don't react, not sure if what he said was a veiled insult. 18 holes later, he ends up buying me lunch in payment for losing the bet to me and my partner.

In another game, on the last hole of the tournament, a guy from our foursome struck a good drive for the very first time. We gave our compliments, but the problem was, he refused to move off from the tee box even after his ball had stopped rolling. We were politely telling him to move off so we could also hit, but he insisted on gloating on the tee box.So finally he moves off and we hit, and he's got 120 yards to the green. As it turns out, it takes him another 4 shots to reach the green. Serves him right.

Last edited:
Karma has paid me back more than once. The moment I say something like "I've hit this shot many times, no problem, I got this" - boom and here's another chunk!

Also try not to count up your score before you finish your round as as soon as you think you have a good score it comes back to bite you. Happened to me today going to our last hole which is a par 3 and boom straight into the bunker, plugged lie take 3 to get out and end up with a 6. Gutted I was.

The best example I can think of occurred close to 15 years ago when I was in college and golf was a very part time endeavor. I was visiting my good friend in Santa Barbara and it had rained the previous few days and things were wet. It didn't help that we were playing the cruddy muni in Isla Vista called Ocean Meadows aka The Ghettos.

My friend hit a poor drive and went to rehearse what a good swing would have looked like. As he did this he was aimed at me, he caught it fat and launched a wad of mud and grass straight at my face. I had dirt in my mouth and grass clumps stuck to the nosepiece of my glasses. My friend apologized profusely and I just laughed hysterically. But before we moved on I told him that karma would catch him, it might not be today but karma was going to collect for that stunt.

So he starts to walk down the fairway and as I'm picking up my bag I hear a "woahhh" and look up to see my friend flat on his back in a mud puddle. He slipped in the muck, tried to fight it and landed in heap and covered himself nearly head to toe. He picks himself up and I just said, "well, looks like karma came sooner than expected".

That story gets told at least once a year and always makes me smile.

I am sure it has -
While I do not remember specifically one major event, I believe that it happens every time I lose a ball in the middle of the fairway. Retribution for finding balls in the rough, woods, etc.

I hit one oob today and while looking for it I found another ball. I never did find mine so I took my penalty and played my next shot with the ball I found (because I want near the car and didn't have a backup). I hit that shot oob too. A 2 penalty hole. Yuck!

I think karma finds my dad a lot. I've seen him curse And get mad at other people, his ball, maintenance people, etc. after bad shots.....one time he mumbled something under his breath after a bad tee shot. As he walked off the box I bent down to tee one up and heard a big thud and a moan. He total fell down the side of the tee box. I felt bad but in a way he deserved it. Luckily he wasn't hurt but he couldn't finish the round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Playing today, I got frustrated on on hole. Next tee, swing out of my shoes and literally hit a worm burner 50 yds. In deep rough (lie was actually good). Haven't done that in years. After eating some humble pie, I hit my 2nd shot with my 3 wood about 265. But it turned one bad hole into another bogey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back