Votes: 34 64.2%
  • no

Votes: 19 35.8%

• Total voters

chile

Working with Mercury
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
are your regular playing partners punctual? asking for a friend...

I tell my buddy our tee time if 15 min before what it actually is... He still barely shows up on time

Ironically, I'm late to majority of my things haha

He is since I started telling him our tee time was 20 minutes before it really is.

I hate to admit it, but yes. More so than I am. They mostly don't have sh*t to do compared to me though. I don't make them suffer my schedule if it isn't working out for me either. Start without me, I gotta go - have fun, boys, etc. I have a functional business, so I plan well, but the nature of it makes me the least reliable for a midday/mid-morning round. They're all really good about it.

One of my golf buddies is the “run in 2 mins after the starter is giving us the stink eye” guy.

My golf buddies are the reliable ones!

I've been late for maybe 3 or 4 tee times in the last decade because of unusually bad traffic or some other strange circumstance(Forgot my clubs at home once last year, lol). I always call buddies ahead if I'm going to be on time and tell them I will catch up to them on the first or second hole. None of my current regular golf buddies have ever been late that I can remember.

Most are. But as in many groups, there’s always that one guy...
Same. Most of them are there early so they have time to warm up. One guy I occasionally play with is the one who shows up at 8:35:59.59 for an 8:36 tee time and runs down to the cart barefooted with his golf shoes in his hands, dragging his clubs behind him, and forgot his socks and hat in the car. At the other end of the spectrum is the one who makes a tee time and says "Tee time is 8:36 - if you're not here by 8:00, you're late!"

The gentleman I play golf with are always punctual.

I am chronically early or ontime. My buddies, not so much. I have had numerous rounds where someone joined us after the tee time and we were out playing. I'm not going to stoop low and call out people like Chuck, Kelly, and Mark. :rolleyes:

I often have friends who get there with only moments to spare whereas there are a couple that like to get there early and warm up like I do

I understand that people have busy lives and that golf takes a reasonable amount of time to play compared to some other sports/hobbies. So I appreciate that at times that can mean arriving close to the tee time and having to shoot off straight after.

I always try to arrive at least 30-40 mins prior to the tee time as I like to warm up, but I have friends that don’t like to do that (or can’t do it due to age or health) and I’m cool with that too.

I think that gets me wound up is the guy that’s running to the first tee late, when I KNOW they’ve had plenty of time and/or no reason to be late. One guy always gets to the course 5 mins before tee time but still he insists on popping in to see the club pro for a chat and a browse round the shop - whilst the rest of us are all stood on the tee! Suffice to say I no longer play golf with that guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'm never late for golf but I'll tend to be minutes late for some other things.

Back in NY, one in our regular group was always late. As in, 90% of the time.

When he showed up 15 minutes late, yet again, but with a bag of food from his local deli (a store known to us, always a long line there), that was it for us.

We headed out without him on that day and wouldn't play with him again.

...I think that gets me wound up is the guy that’s running to the first tee late, when I KNOW they’ve had plenty of time and/or no reason to be late. One guy always gets to the course 5 mins before tee time but still he insists on popping in to see the club pro for a chat and a browse round the shop - whilst the rest of us are all stood on the tee! Suffice to say I no longer play golf with that guy.
Our "if you're not early, you're late" guy will take the group to the first tee and tee off without you if you're running late - you can catch up whenever you're done screwing around.

A few weeks ago he had another friend (who's fairly new to golf) riding in his cart with him. When he said it was time to head to the first tee, the new guy tried to sneak in a few more shots on the range. My friend drove off and left him on the range, leaving him to walk to the first tee (which isn't a short walk). By the time he got there, everybody had teed off and my friend told him to hurry up and put his bag on the cart, and he could throw a ball down in the fairway with everybody else and play from there. I think new guy now understands that "time to go" means time to go. :LOL:

Last edited:
My playing partner for the last few years is not very punctual. I walk and he rides, so I just start the round on time and let him catch up. Other than him, most I've played with have shown up early.

The worst experience of someone being late was when I was asked to sub for a league. It was my first time playing in a league. The partner, who I'd never met, was so late to the scramble that everyone else was on the course before he even showed up. Subsequently, we had to ride out against the grain on 2 other groups to get to our starting hole. It was a bad start to a round that just went downhill from there.

We have a group of seniors and our starting time is 10AM and the next 2 or 3 tee times. Virtually everyone shows 15-30 minutes early to warm up. Our starter will put the whole foursome last and insert another foursome if they are not all there. Doesn't happen very often. Peer pressure.

I used to play with a guy who would show up at the last minute and cause all kinds of chaos getting ready, etc. I quit playing with him and when he asked why I told him. We don’t see much of each other anymore.

No problem for us, we are all old and always early as our job training has been our whole lives. If you are not 30 minutes to an hour early you are late..\\

I have a lot of young employees that think rushing in the door at 6:58 or 59 is on time.

I'm always standing on the first tee waiting for people.

Ever since I was a kid, thanks to my father, I have operated on "Lombardi Time:" If you're 5 minutes early, you're 10 minutes late. This philosophy applies to absolutely everything I can control

In our regular Friday afternoon foresome, you have to catch up, we wait for no one. All tee slots are booked and the one time on a Friday afternoon a few years ago when one in our foresome got stuck in traffic but texted he was in the parking lot, the starter let another group leave before us.....result 5+ hour round. We made a pact that day, if you’re late you going to have to catch up or stay at home. We also told that starter never let anyone go ahead of their tee time when it involves us.

Just joined my club a month ago, and with everything going on, haven’t had the opportunity to play or meet many people.

so no buddies to play with, so I play solo and then log on to THP every day.

We're usually all there 15 minutes before tee time. Occasionally life happens and someone will run a little late.

Back