Taylor Made Speed Blades vs. Burner 2.0

MBurnham

Reaction score
Handicap
I was thinking about upgrading my Burner 2.0 irons I got a couple years ago because I was never fit for them. My thought was some new irons that were fit to me would improve my game somewhat. Yesterday I went down to local golf galaxy to hit some new irons. I tried the X2Hot, the Speed Blades, and the Bio Cells. I ended up hitting the Speed Blades really well. I asked the guy "fitting" me if I would need any adjustment in lie, loft, or a different shaft, and if the length needed to be adjusted. He said that he really thought that what came off the rack was good enough for me.

My question is that is it worth it to upgrade to the Speed Blades or any other iron for that matter if "off the rack" clubs are good enough for me. Also, do you really think that I wouldn't need any additional changes to off the rack clubs. Does that sound right. I know that you no one had seen me swing, but does that sound right?

I haven't tried the Burner 2.0 but I have a set of SpeedBlades you can try when we're at the Bridgestone event in January. I have been told that the burner's, although very long, are not as consistent when it comes to distance. I friend of mine is always complaining about "one time the pitching wedge goes 120 yds and the next 135 yds"

I haven't tried the Burner 2.0 but I have a set of SpeedBlades you can try when we're at the Bridgestone event in January. I have been told that the burner's, although very long, are not as consistent when it comes to distance. I friend of mine is always complaining about "one time the pitching wedge goes 120 yds and the next 135 yds"

I've been playing the Burner 2.0's for 3 years and I don't find any inconsistency in the clubs at all. I think that comment may be more "the indian than the arrow". But, the SpeedBlades look like a very interesting club to try.

Did you get better results with the SpeedBlades over your 2.0's on a monitor, or were you just hitting a net ?

I agree it's definitely more of the Indian than the arrow, my swing is far from perfect. I did hit the speed blades on a monitor and I was very consistent with them. I was more surprised that I wouldn't need any adjustments to off the rack clubs, is that normal? I didn't test the speed blades vs. the burners on the monitor at golf galaxy, perhaps I should. I feel like on the monitor at least my shots seemed straighter on the monitor. My distances with the 7 iron I was hitting were anywhere from 145-160 depending on the contact I made.

Mizuno, I'll let you know about trying your speed blades at the event. I appreciate the off though.

They really are different irons.
Since you will be at a THP Event, testing equipment, unless you are completely sold on these irons, you will have the opportunity to test some pretty cool things out. Then post event, you should be able to make a solid decision.

That's a good point JB. I suppose I should wait and try some different irons out. I was scrambling a little bit trying to take advantage of some Christmas time deals. But, I don't want to buy something just to buy it, and then try something way better a month down the road.

Back