TaylorMade Burner 2.0 Iron Forum Testing - Take 2 Signup

Anyone know whether we will be receiving tracking numbers and/or shipping info once the 2.0's have shipped?

nope and that's half the fun. You never know when they show up!

Long time reader here. Figured I read enough I should start contributing! I started playing in 2000, took it way too serious for five years then took a five year break in 2005. Started up again last year. I've been playing with my old 2000/2001 set of Taylor Made SuperSteel irons and driver (which I recently Googled and found it only costs $19.99 now). They've been great to me, given me more than enough pars and birdies. But, this year I really wanted to get into the sport again. After doing some reading I decided to stay with TM and get the TM Burner 2.0 irons. Initially, I was going to buy the 1.0 set, but I figured what the heck...if you're going to spend a few hundred bucks on a sport you love may as well spend a few more hundred :)

Anyway, after getting my 2.0 set a few days ago I went on over to my local golf course (even skipped out of work early to do it, just like any golf addict). The first few shots were wild, not what I was expecting. I'm pretty good with my irons, so I was taken back a little. I've read the 2.0 shafts are longer, but I think it was just the newness of the clubs. Lets jump to hole 6 - par 3. The day before, using my old set, I used a 6i and made it just onto the green. I read the new 2.0 add some distance so instead of using my new 6i I went with the new 7i. One swing and the ball not only landed on the green but went past the hole by a good four feet! I was shocked!

I was also playing with this stranger and on the 9th (par 5 with a nasty right bend) he takes out his driver. He rockets his ball over some low lying trees and lands on the fairway. It was a great shot. Me, well I really wanted to break in my shiny irons so I went with my 4i (have the 3i on a UPS truck). I wasn't sure how far the 4i would go, I kept hearing about all this "long distance" and "super range". I took that 4i and my ball took the same path of his ball, right over the low lying trees. We walked over and interesting enough my ball was only 8-10 feet behind his. He was shocked! I caught myself starring at my new Taylor Made Burners...wow.

I know there's more experienced reviewers out there, but I figured I share my short story. It's still too early for me to get a true feel for these irons. I did have some wild shots that really surprised me. But, going to give it another few weeks and see how well I settle into them.

Thanks for the story Hankster. Congrats on the new irons.

again - can't wait to read the reviews! TaylorMade is making a big impression on me lately.

Cool story Hankster. I've been known to go entire rounds just teeing off with my 3 or 4 irons, and hitting them close to people's drives. I generate a massive amount of clubhead speed, and hit the ball for miles, so I'm VERY excited to see what I can do with these. Congrats on that awesome set, you just made me more anxious!

Cool story Hankster. I've been known to go entire rounds just teeing off with my 3 or 4 irons, and hitting them close to people's drives. I generate a massive amount of clubhead speed, and hit the ball for miles, so I'm VERY excited to see what I can do with these. Congrats on that awesome set, you just made me more anxious!

Confident? HAHA Kidding man!

Haha, very confident in my ball striking and putting. Everything else is so-so.

Confidence is good. If you were that long before, these irons should make you nuclear! I will be interested to see you results. I am more moderately long. If I get a few more yards on my long irons I will be happy.

Confidence is good. If you were that long before, these irons should make you nuclear! I will be interested to see you results. I am more moderately long. If I get a few more yards on my long irons I will be happy.

Yeah, I'm right there with ya.

Congrats testers!

I will be looking into this thread a lot. DawgDaddy was nice enough to send me a 2.0 6-iron to try out for my father that is looking into buying a set of these.

Used my 2.0 6 iron I was recently given today. Used it to tee off on a 165 yard par 3 and placed it on the green. Used it again on a 167 yard par 3 all carry over water with the pin on the front of the green, left it 10 feet left of the hole, and made birdie. I don't normally hit a 6 iron that far, but very impressed with how it played. Just wish I had the whole set to review!

Used my 2.0 6 iron I was recently given today. Used it to tee off on a 165 yard par 3 and placed it on the green. Used it again on a 167 yard par 3 all carry over water with the pin on the front of the green, left it 10 feet left of the hole, and made birdie. I don't normally hit a 6 iron that far, but very impressed with how it played. Just wish I had the whole set to review!

man might be what I need, I struggle wiht par 3's like no ones business. Glad to enjoyed the 2.0

I'm the same with irons, if I'm hitting them well they'll be used before my woods or drivers. It was common for me to use my 3i instead of my driver, especially if I wasn't hitting the driver well that day. When I go solo and get placed with strangers I always get at least one person asking me why I'm not using my driver. This is something I'll never understand. Unless you can hit the big daddy straight, I'd rather lose 30 feet and be on the green than gain 30 feet and in the rough (or worse trees).

The only grip I have about my set is that TM didn't package it with a 3i, which happens to be one of my most used clubs. They package it with a AW, which I have never used before in my life. I've always stuck with the PW for scenarios that called for it. But, I did place an order for a 3i so I'm really looking forward to getting it (tomorrow I think) and seeing how it does!!!

man might be what I need, I struggle wiht par 3's like no ones business. Glad to enjoyed the 2.0

I practice with my 6i so much that I'm very comfortable with par 3s. Even if there's water or shrubs before the green it doesn't phase me. Of course, I use the 6i so much I may as well be sleeping with it under my pillow.

I use the 6i so much I may as well be sleeping with it under my pillow.

Who hasnt thought of bringing a club to bed with them right when they get them? Or the night before a big match? I might volunteer to sleep in the guest room just so i have these to roll over next to instead of my wife. :beat-up: (its funny because she'll never read this)

Who hasnt thought of bringing a club to bed with them right when they get them? Or the night before a big match? I might volunteer to sleep in the guest room just so i have these to roll over next to instead of my wife. :beat-up: (its funny because she'll never read this)

Haha, that's hilarious. I bet it wouldn't be funny at all if she read it though, you're right.

Anyone got the feeling of today being delivery day?

Hope so. Looking forward to following this testing side by side with the other iron testing going on. 2 very different iron sets, so will be interesting to see the different thoughts and results testers are getting. Also be good to compare results with the earlier testing!

Can't wait to read the reviews guys....I'll keep my fingers crossed that the Fedex guy pays you a visit today:D

HAHAHA! Good luck with that. :mohawk:

Maybe today is the day?!?! It's like Christmas in June!

I hope they are here today! I always enjoy the unboxing

That would be awesome.

Haha, I'm pretty much stalking your posts on this thread to see when you get your clubs. That means I would have mine too. :D

Back