Taylormade Burner 2.0 Irons & THP Testing

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Today is a big day for Taylormade Golf as they announce the launch of a brand new set of irons. The Taylormade Burner 2.0 irons. The 2009 Burner irons were/are incredibly popular by design and playability and this next generation looks to be a step up both of those categories.

You will see below some in hand photos as we got the 1st THP set pre-launch and will be working with them for our review and to answer questions for everybody that they have about them before release.

They have been through a brief workout on the range, so I can answer some questions that you may have on them before they get a full workout.

But THAT IS NOT ALL! Taylormade wanted even more real and unbiased feedback. so they were kind enough to supply FOUR more sets for THP Members (fit to their specs) to test out and you will get 100% honest and unbiased feedback from all of them as well.

The 1st two sets went to the THP Equipment Testers

Puttin4Bird
Thanks1974

These two individuals are the two THP Equipment Testers and are used to answering questions on club performance and writing reviews. They will be part of the testing panel that will be updating this thread frequently and answering questions that anybody has come up.

The 2nd two sets went to forum members chosen by Taylormade Golf

OEM Kevin
Tcalloway1

These two individuals were chosen by Taylormade for a variety of reasons. They will be at the THP Golf Outing and be able to share their experience and clubs with the rest of the people at that time. They are extremely active forum members and like to talk about equipment. Both have had extensive equipment writeups and answered questions on the topic (TC w/Shaft Fitting, OEM w/Wedge Shoot Out). Taylormade thought that these two choices would make great testers and give honest and unbiased information to everybody else looking for long term feedback rather than just a review.

I want to thank all 4 of these testers for taking the time to try out this equipment and post long term reviews for readers here as well as answer any questions that people may have. I also want to thank them for honoring the embargo date set forth by the company. These 4 have known about these irons so that we could get their specs for about a month now and have followed THP Protocal involving embargo dates.

This goes to show that being active on THP does have its benefits. Golf Ball testing, Glove testing, FULL iron set Pre Release Testing, AND EVEN MORE COMING IN 2011. We will have a lot more forum testing going on throughout the next year and the next big forum testing could involve YOU!

Taylormade Burner 2.0 Irons

The TaylorMade Burner 2.0 Iron Set consists of irons individually engineered, resulting in the enhancement of multiple club properties that promote distance, uniform distance-gaps, increased playability and better sound and feel. A multi-functional sole lowers the center of gravity and reduces turf-drag to make it easy to launch shots high and long, while the inverted cone in each clubface is strategically sized and shaped center of gravity location in each head is precision-placed to optimize long-, middle- and short-iron flight; high-coefficient of restitution faces promote fast ball speed for long distance in the long-irons.

Additional Features:

Shaft Brand: TaylorMade
Set Composition: 4-Pitching Wedge
Iron Construction: Cast
Shaft Type: BurnerSuperFast 85 Steel or RE*AX SuperFast 65 Graphite
Grip: TaylorMade Aero
Launch Date - October 15th
Price - $699 Steel & $899 Graphite

1000992508_zR6CP-L-1.jpg

1000992646_Lq87A-L-1.jpg

1000992674_252wm-L-1.jpg

1000992701_yKVTK-L-1.jpg

1000992622_JJBGh-L-1.jpg

1000992565_WFs4V-L-1.jpg

1000992595_FwcKf-L-1.jpg

1000992541_LE3FB-L-2.jpg

Wow...nice...They were irons...!

these are awesome looking i hope yall enjoy taking these for a test drive

they seem like they have a lot thinner profile than the last set of burners, i like

Huge congrats for both TM and OEM / TC for being selected to put these through the ringer.

• Admin
From Press Release

Improved Weight Distribution to Optimize Ball Flight in Short-, Middle- and Long-Irons
Weight distribution varies in every Burner 2.0 clubhead to improve long-, middle- and short-iron ball flight. In the long-irons, weight has been shifted toward the back of the head, to promote easy launch, and toward the toe and heel, to promote greater stability and forgiveness. In the middle-irons, weight is distributed more evenly and slightly higher to promote workability while still providing forgiveness. In the short-irons, weight is positioned even higher, to promote a lower, more controllable ball flight, and centered, to promote increased clubhead control. Additionally, the CG in the short-irons is closer to the face, similar to a blade, to increase feel and to promote lower flight.

Differing Face Thickness in Every Iron to Promote More Speed and Distance in the Long-irons, More Feel and Control in the Short-irons
Every individual Burner 2.0 iron boasts a different face thickness. The thinnest and fastest faces are in the long-irons, with the face in each successive iron growing thicker down through the middle- and short-irons. The thinner face, the higher the COR to promote more ball speed and distance; the thicker the face, the greater the feel.

Progressive Topline Thickness, Improved Multi-Functional Sole and TaylorMade's Renowned Inverted Cone Technology
Toplines in the Burner 2.0 irons are substantial and strong in the long-irons, and grow progressively thinner down through the middle- and short-irons. The multi-functional sole, introduced in the original Burner iron, has been improved by recessing the heel and toe and beveling the rear, all to reduce drag and make it easier to make clean, solid contact. On the rear side of the clubface, TaylorMade's patented Inverted Cone Technology has been reconfigured and sized and positioned strategically in each individual iron to promote faster ball speed on off-center hits for more consistent distance from shot to shot.

Longer, Easier to Hit Long-irons
Burner 2.0 long-irons combine an ultra-thin clubface for higher COR (1.8 mm in the 4-iron) with higher MOI. Relief at the rear of the sole allows the sole to play narrower. All of the above promotes more distance in the Burner 2.0 long-irons while making them significantly easier to hit and more playable.

Improved Vibration-Management System
"Golfers who play the current Burner iron will notice a difference in the sound and feel, which is significantly softer and more satisfying in the Burner 2.0," said Bazzel. "We put in a lot of effort to refine and improve the vibration-management system in the cavity in order to reach our target for sound and feel."

New Flight-Control Shaft Design and "Burner Black" Finish
Burner 2.0 irons are equipped with a new, flight-control shaft design in 85-gram steel or 65-gram graphite for longer, higher long-irons and quick-stopping short-irons that inspire confidence to attack the pin. The Women's Burner 2.0 is equipped with a graphite RE*AX® SuperFast 55-gram shaft.

Set Makeup, Pricing and Availability
Burner 2.0 irons are offered in four shaft flexes – S, R, M, L. Ladies' flex shafts will be offered in the 5-iron through pitching wedge, attack wedge and sand wedge. The standard Burner 2.0 set includes eight irons offered at a street price of $699 with steel shafts in the irons and $899 with graphite shaft in the irons. Availability begins at retail on Friday, October 8.

Sick! Props to all 4 testers too!!! Can't wait to hear what they have to say about these irons.

Way to go everyone who is involved in the testing of these! They look wicked, and I am sure a few of us can not wait to hit these at the outing!

they look nice...

Great pics, I really like the looks of these... How awesome is it that you got access to these beforehand?! Congrats to THP!

Those are really nice looking!! Congrats to the testers!! To say I'm jealous is a bit of an understatement!! Really cool stuff!!

All- I will be bringing my set down to the Outing for those who are interested in hitting them....line forms to the left lol

Cool stuff! Looking forward to seeing these in person soon. Glad that you four are getting the chance to test these out! I think TM made great choices in picking you all ;)

mmm, that thing is sexxy!

first of all, i want to that Taylormade for selecting me, it truly is an honor and i promise that i will give these sticks a good workout! i am excited about the opportunity and look forward to putting them up against what's currently in the bag. they are extremely gorgeous and i absolutely loved the 09's burners so i can't wait to see what differences there may be.

i also want to thank JB and GG for honoring embargo dates and for developing and maintaining the wonderful relationships that they have with many companies, especially TM. it's b/c of those two, and their belief system, that any of this is possible.

lastly, I CAN'T WAIT TO GET THESE THINGS!!

These new Burners don't look as chunky as the 1st gen Burners. They're pretty nice. Looking forward to the reviews from Puttin4Bird, Thanks1974, OEM Kevin and Tcalloway1! These guys are great at providing feedback. I'm sure we'll get thorough, unbiased reviews from each of them!

JB, what are your initial thoughts compared to 09 Burners...thanks

Great post and great pics JB! These babies are simply gorgeous to look at and I am so honored to be able to test them out firsthand and provide my feedback too all my friends on THP. I too will have these at the outing and everyone is more than welcome to try them out, mi irons es tu irons!!! (I think that means my irons are your irons!!!)

These new Burners don't look as chunky as the 1st gen Burners. They're pretty nice. Looking forward to the reviews from Puttin4Bird, Thanks1974, OEM Kevin and Tcalloway1! These guys are great at providing feedback. I'm sure we'll get thorough, unbiased reviews from each of them!

don't forget bonk, i'm a lefty, so you'll have to read everything backwards to fully get it :act-up:

JB, what are your initial thoughts compared to 09 Burners...thanks

Distance seems similar to me, but I have not measured anything yet. I definitely prefer the looks of these as the lighter color on half of the topline leads to a more slender look. The launch feels more penetrating while still being nice and high. The feel is definitely better in this model than the last model. I was not a huge fan of the 09 Burners due to feel, but these have improved dramatically in that area.

They look even better then I imagined. When I signed up on THP last year I would have never imagined getting a yet unreleased set of anything, much less a set of irons of this caliber. I remember getting the PM from JB and my initial thought was disbelief. What a huge honor. Im very thankful to THP and Taylor Made for this chance. I cant wait to see the irons in hand and look forward to taking them to the range. I will be bringing them with me to the outing, so feel free to hit them and ask any questions.

I was an insider. I don't see a mention of conforming grooves. My pointed questions about groove differences between the R9s and the old Burners was what prompted the TM person I talked to to give me a hint. These irons have conforming grooves, while the older Burners do not.

Kevin

They look even better then I imagined. When I signed up on THP last year I would have never imagined getting a yet unreleased set of anything, much less a set of irons of this caliber. I remember getting the PM from JB and my initial thought was disbelief. What a huge honor. Im very thankful to THP and Taylor Made for this chance. I cant wait to see the irons in hand and look forward to taking them to the range. I will be bringing them with me to the outing, so feel free to hit them and ask any questions.

What flex did you get for your set, Kev?

very cool, congrats to the 4 testers. Thanks TM for getting THP involved. Thanks THP for bringing us this great news

Those look very nice, add those to the iron sets I'll have to demo next year. And congrats to the testers very cool there!

Back