TaylorMade Ghost S Spider Putter Preview Thread

Dev, this isn't his review. In fact, he should change the title of the thread from "review" to "preview". It would eliminate that confusion a bit.

Yeah I saw that a review was to come but I just wanted to show appreciation for posting the pics at least. I know alot of work goes into all the reviewing and previewing and saw some posts a week or two ago about people maybe not getting as much appreciation as they deserved so I wanted to make sure it was known that the work is appreciated. Still just cant get passed the looks of any of the large head putters.

Dev, this isn't his review. In fact, he should change the title of the thread from "review" to "preview". It would eliminate that confusion a bit.
Done. I usually like to name my review threads well...review threads but that makes sense.

Sorry for the confusion Dev. I am working on a review on this putter though, yes.

Done. I usually like to name my review threads well...review threads but that makes sense.

Sorry for the confusion Dev. I am working on a review on this putter though, yes.

Wtg buddy! I really think this putter will work it's way into your bag full time.

No confusion for me buddy. I look forward to the full review. Maybe you will get me over the fear of the large putters..haha

Wtg buddy! I really think this putter will work it's way into your bag full time.
It may, we'll see! I have decided that I'm going to go ahead and use it this Friday in a little team competition. Risky yes, but I need to improve on those shortys so why not jump right in?

This thread is so full of awesome already I dont see how this putter doesnt make it into your bag Jake. Who wouldnt want to be autojake from 10'?

Did you like the aggsi? i thought the Pure Roll was a massive improvement. And I hear ya, the sound of the Pure Roll was a bit different.

I liked the roll of the agis's, but it was really soft to me (dull sounding) and I know later they added Titallium to those inserts in some models. The pure roll inserts I really really liked the stainless/Titallium version quite a bit but not so much the first surlyn version of it (again firm vs soft in the sound department). I do like that they keep trying to improve their inserts and that's why I'll always keep trying them out, ya know?

I'm trying to recall but IIRC TM has done Titallium, Surlyn, and Stainless insert versions in the pure roll over the past few years? I could be getting it all mixed up as its been a while.

This thread is so full of awesome already I dont see how this putter doesnt make it into your bag Jake. Who wouldnt want to be autojake from 10'?
Autojake. I LOVE that name. This putter will be named Autojake. I'm a firm believer in a putter earning a name, seems a little early to call it that so it better go out and earn that name QUICK!

Autojake. I LOVE that name. This putter will be named Autojake. I'm a firm believer in a putter earning a name, seems a little early to call it that so it better go out and earn that name QUICK!

"Whatcha rolling today Jake?"

"The Autojake"

I like it.

Just from reading this discussion, I can tell Jake is going to own greens with this putter. The insert rules. And mallet putters just rock.

"Whatcha rolling today Jake?"

"The Autojake"

I like it.

hahahaha that is awesome. See I bet the positive vibes start this putter out in the right direction. Your putt trigger can be "autojake" and then roll it.

hahahaha that is awesome. See I bet the positive vibes start this putter out in the right direction. Your putt trigger can be "autojake" and then roll it.

After Jake makes the putt he should totally do the robot on the green, then point to the cup and say in a robot voice "You've been AutoJaked"

And when Jake uses the AutoJake to one putt he can yell "One Jake!!"

Kmac you might be right, it's all about positive vibes and I've already got a ton of them on this one just from the posts in this thread this morning. I'm going to own the greens with this thing!

Dev....I'll get that on video just for you as I'm working through my review of this thing.

Played 27 holes with the Ghost S Spider today. The greens were very fast and smooth, just the kind I like to putt on. They were this fast, yet very receptive and held shots very well, just great conditions out there today. I didn't really make any putts of significant distance, but I didn't miss any putts that I should be making either. I found that I had tons of confidence and I was putting real solid strokes on the ball all day. Good roll became something I heard a lot of today. The Pure Roll insert feels like it is softer than previous versions I've used. I don't know if it's the overall mass and weight of the S Ghost that makes it feel different or if the insert is actually different. I'll do some digging and find out for sure.

I was hitting my line almost every time with this putter, it is just ridiculously easy to align and get the ball rolling on that line is easy. The dreaded push or pull that usually plagues my putting was not there today, if I missed it was because I either 1. misread the putt or 2. didn't hit the right speed. I was short on a lot of putts today but I think that's just because I have to get used to this thing....as the day went on my speed did get better. I expect the more I get used to this putter the speed will not be a problem.

I like the Winn AVS grip on this putter too, it has a little more texture to it so my hands didn't end up slipping like some of the other putters with a version of this grip.

Played 27 holes with the Ghost S Spider today. The greens were very fast and smooth, just the kind I like to putt on. They were this fast, yet very receptive and held shots very well, just great conditions out there today. I didn't really make any putts of significant distance, but I didn't miss any putts that I should be making either. I found that I had tons of confidence and I was putting real solid strokes on the ball all day. Good roll became something I heard a lot of today. The Pure Roll insert feels like it is softer than previous versions I've used. I don't know if it's the overall mass and weight of the S Ghost that makes it feel different or if the insert is actually different. I'll do some digging and find out for sure.

I was hitting my line almost every time with this putter, it is just ridiculously easy to align and get the ball rolling on that line is easy. The dreaded push or pull that usually plagues my putting was not there today, if I missed it was because I either 1. misread the putt or 2. didn't hit the right speed. I was short on a lot of putts today but I think that's just because I have to get used to this thing....as the day went on my speed did get better. I expect the more I get used to this putter the speed will not be a problem.

I like the Winn AVS grip on this putter too, it has a little more texture to it so my hands didn't end up slipping like some of the other putters with a version of this grip.
Nice update dude, to say I am jealous of you having this in the bag already is a understatement lol, can not wait to get one in my hands since I love my Ghost Spider so much, I think this one being a bit smaller in size will be just amazing.

Nice Jake! I look forward to more thoughts on the insert as thats where my big wondering lies since TM is always adapting, working on, and changing their inserts.

Love that the alignment has you feeling good, I think this model (just to my eyes) may be the best alignment they've done with any of the Spider's as far as the combo of lines and colors.

I was short on a lot of putts today but I think that's just because I have to get used to this thing....as the day went on my speed did get better. I expect the more I get used to this putter the speed will not be a problem.

Thats what I struggled with when I had my Itsy Bitsy Spider in the bag, speed, and leaving putts short. I thought it was practice that was needed but I just couldn't get it right and ended up changing it out for a blade.

It will be interesting to see if you improve over time with this stick.

Nice update Jake.

Wow...the anticipation of your full review on this is killing me.
I fell in love with the original Monza Spider a few years ago and became a pretty good putter and thought no putter would replace it.
Then along came the Ghost Spider and I fell in love all over again.
Can the new Ghost S Spider replace my beloved original Ghost Spider ?
Ponderous....simply ponderous.

Now that I've gotten used to the size and shape difference, as well as the different feel of the Pure Roll insert I've really began to set into a nice groove with the Ghost Spider S. My biggest problem has always been pushes or pulls, but never one more so than the other, just both mixed in when I least expected it and usually when I most needed to sink a putt. I don't see a whole lot of that with this putter right now. The way it sets up behind the golf ball as I'm addressing a putt is just awesome. It is so easy to align with your intended putting line it's just ridiculous. While I haven't made every putt lately, I've had SO many "great rolls" at putts in the last couple of weeks. This thing inspires a TON of confidence on the greens.

My dad has the first generation Corza Ghost with the AGSI insert and the Pure Roll in this one is definitely softer feeling than his. I rolled multiple putts with both putters last night and while his is left handed you could still get a good sense of the feel and I'm certain that the Ghost Spider S insert is softer and it felt a lot smoother to me. I simply did not have to put as hard of a stroke on the ball to get putts to travel the same distance as they did with his older Corza Ghost. I wasn't immediately crazy about that first generation Pure Roll insert, it felt a little too harsh or hard to me. I'll be honest, I hadn't really spent a ton of time with the Ghost putters since then and right away when I got this assignment I was thinking, well I know I won't like the insert. Wrong!

I have just a little more testing to do before I'm ready to work up the full review, but it's coming soon.

Jake, so how would you classify the sound off the insert? More dull/quiet/lower pitched? Or, maybe less hard to describe how was the sound compared to the AGSI in your dads Corza?

Sorry, I know that ones kinda a hard one buddy but I'm so damn audibly oriented about putters I cant help but ask.

It is so quiet and soft sounding too. There is definitley a more noticable click with the AGSI of the older Ghosts. This thing just has such a softer and quiet feel and sound. I'm trying to compare what it feels like. I can't really even discribe it without sending the complete wrong message across. You just have to putt with one more than anything. Another thing is that seems to be quite forgiving, I know very little so far about the tech specs behind this putter but I do know that it has extremely high MOI characteristics, higher than the Manta or the Corza. You can definitely tell too, immediately after mishitting a putt you always fear the dreaded 6 footer left but the Spider S still manages to get that ball pretty close to the hole.

It is so quiet and soft sounding too. There is definitley a more noticable click with the AGSI of the older Ghosts. This thing just has such a softer and quiet feel and sound. I'm trying to compare what it feels like. I can't really even discribe it without sending the complete wrong message across. You just have to putt with one more than anything. Another thing is that seems to be quite forgiving, I know very little so far about the tech specs behind this putter but I do know that it has extremely high MOI characteristics, higher than the Manta or the Corza. You can definitely tell too, immediately after mishitting a putt you always fear the dreaded 6 footer left but the Spider S still manages to get that ball pretty close to the hole.

Dude, you answered my Q perfect. Thank you.

I figured it would be a "lessened" sound than the AGSI form what I've read but you're right the high MOI blends SO well with a softer sounding/feeling insert IMO. I really would like to roll one of these, I need to make that happen.

Peter Hanson is using this putter at the Ryder Cup.

With my testing wrapped up it's time to put this thing head to head against a SeeMore m5x. May the best putter win! (And may I drop a lot more putts in the process)

not sure how i missed this one, but i like the white/black combo. "nice looking backside" FTW

Back