TaylorMade Ghost Spider Si Putter Review Thread

GolferGal

Chick Norris
Boss Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Golf
This thread will serve as the review and feedback thread from the 4 forum members selected to test this putter. This will also be for anyone who has experience with this putter and would like to share their thoughts.

TaylorMade Ghost Spider Si Putter - Forum Testing Review

In for review is the new TaylorMade Spider Si putter. The latest creating in the Spider family coming out of TaylorMade features a slight change in design to the Spiders from the past, but carries with it a few features that many have grown to love over the years.

In the Spider Si, the Spider design has evolved a bit, much like we saw last year with the Daddy Long Legs, the Spider Si has changed a bit in a way that can really aid the golfer with alignment on the putting green in multiple different ways. The white headshape or "spider legs" that extend back off the head of the putter do not fully enclose, but stop just short where the black alignment aide protrudes to. The white legs of the putter are contrasted by a black portion of the putter head featuring three alignment aides. Not only will looking down at the "legs" help with getting the face of the putter square at address, the black portion of the putter with the three alignment lines will assist in making sure that your putter head is straight down your intended line. The contrast of the black/white has worked well for TaylorMade in their past few releases, I feel that this was done quite well again. While the colors are definitely conflicting, they also flow together nicely to really assist with keeping your putter head square to the target line.

photo4_zpscfcffc56.jpg

photo3_zps9dd70f5a.jpg

photo2_zps73fbe93a.jpg

Another feature that returns here in the Spider Si is the Pure Roll insert. Many that have rolled the TaylorMade putters over the past few years have become quite accustomed to the feel of the Pure Roll insert. TaylorMade keeps going back to the Pure Roll insert, and for good reason, as it offers a soft yet solid feel at impact and imparts a smooth roll of the ball off the face of the putter.

photo1_zps59ba2558.jpg

One of the aspects that most excites me about the Spider Si putter, is the counterbalance option that it comes in. The putter I am gaming is 35", but has a 130-gram grip that acts as a counter weight to the heavier head of the putter. This allows the putter to give a pendulum like feel when you putt, bringing the face pack to square at impact to get your ball rolling on the line you intend it to go.

photo5_zps7ed9617c.jpg

This quote from TaylorMade is something that I am looking forward to putting to the test;
Spider Si is one of the most stable putters we’ve ever created. Counterbalancing increases the overall MOI of the entire club while the high MOI head helps protect ball speed on off-center hits. That extreme stability helps square the face to the ball and gives the head great consistency on all putts.

Having gamed the Daddy Long Legs for most of this past season, and the more recently gamed the Spider Mallet with great success, I am really looking forward to putting the Spider Si in to play to see how this line has evolved. Will be getting this one out on the course this weekend, and am pretty excited to see how it treats me on the greens.

photo6_zps750d429c.jpg

Last edited:
Nice start Ryan!

Nice start
I would be intrested to know if they have made any changes to the Pure Roll incert besides the color on the sides i wonder if sand will still get stuck in there

First, I'd like to say thank you to THP, JB, GG and Taylormade for this great opportunity, it's a huge privilege.

About Me:
I'm a 16 Hdcp (probably trending the wrong way after this winter). I'm currently playing a Nead Custom putter 8802 model. In the past I've used a Ping Anser C G2 Blade putter.

About the Putter:
I'll be testing the Ghost Spider Si in 35" it also comes in 38" as well. It is available in RH and LH. It is Heel-shafted. There are 10+ custom grip options available site.

Taylormade's Description:

The large head is counterbalanced by a 15-inch, 125-gram grip, which increases “stroke stability,” which is your ability to swing the head on a smooth and accurate path.
The putterhead itself is also extremely stable, with an MOI measurement of 6,000+ to help it resist twisting on mis-hits toward the toe and heel.
Spider Si also delivers outstanding feel and roll, owing to its PureRoll Surlyn face insert that’s designed to promote smooth and consistent roll as the ball leaves the face.

Looks:
I really like the look of this putter, the red stock grip definitely jumps out at you when you first see it, I love the spider graphic as well. The white black and red color scheme go really well together, it definitely offers a great contrast in the head when you look at it at address. The headcover is really cool too, goes well with the putter, and uses a Velcro clasp.

Feel:
The feel of the putter is good, comfortable, with the additional weight you can feel the stability and it makes me feel pretty confident with it in my hands. Also, when I choked down, it definitely added to the stable feeling.

Alignment:
I really like the alignment aids the three white lines against the black backdrop really pop out and frame the ball.

I'm hoping to get out on the course sometime next week and I'm really curious to see how it feels and sounds out on the course.

ysa2esu3.jpg

utuhepup.jpg

u4u2u5u8.jpg

5amagypa.jpg

basemeby.jpg

ajedu7u6.jpg

u7yqa8a9.jpg

First, I'd like to say thank you to THP, JB, GG and Taylormade for this great opportunity, it's a huge privilege.

About Me:
I'm a 16 Hdcp (probably trending the wrong way after this winter). I'm currently playing a Nead Custom putter 8802 model. In the past I've used a Ping Anser C G2 Blade putter.

About the Putter:
I'll be testing the Ghost Spider Si in 35" it also comes in 38" as well. It is available in RH and LH. It is Heel-shafted. There are 10+ custom grip options available site.

Taylormade's Description:

Looks:
I really like the look of this putter, the red stock grip definitely jumps out at you when you first see it, I love the spider graphic as well. The white black and red color scheme go really well together, it definitely offers a great contrast in the head when you look at it at address. The headcover is really cool too, goes well with the putter, and uses a Velcro clasp.

Feel:
The feel of the putter is good, comfortable, with the additional weight you can feel the stability and it makes me feel pretty confident with it in my hands. Also, when I choked down, it definitely added to the stable feeling.

Alignment:
I really like the alignment aids the three white lines against the black backdrop really pop out and frame the ball.

I'm hoping to get out on the course sometime next week and I'm really curious to see how it feels and sounds out on the course.

ysa2esu3.jpg

utuhepup.jpg

u4u2u5u8.jpg

5amagypa.jpg

basemeby.jpg

ajedu7u6.jpg

u7yqa8a9.jpg
If you upgraded to a custom grip option, wouldn't it change the CB portion of the club a lot?

TaylorMade Ghost Spider Si Putter Review - Forum Testing

TaylorMade Ghost Spider Si Putter Review - Forum Testing

If you upgraded to a custom grip option, wouldn't it change the CB portion of the club a lot?

Yes, it would since the weight is in the grip not the shaft. Approx half of the grips on the site have the same weight as the stock grip, you will have to choose wisely :).

Using Tapatalk

Look what I had waiting for me when I came home from work today!!! Woooot Woooot!!!!

a5evuzeb.jpg

5enu9yhu.jpg

9ebe7ubu.jpg

First and foremost I'd like to thank THP and Taylormade for giving me opportunity to experience this putter and test it for everybody here.

About me: I typically use mallet putters that are center shafted; my typical miss with a putter is leaving it short. I have experience with Seemore mFGP counter balanced and a variety of other putters in the stable. I haven't ever gamed a Taylormade putter and typically don't use insert putters. I like putters with a heavy feel and play them at 36.5" (counter balanced is 40").

First Impressions:

It was a rare beautiful evening today and had a box sitting at my doorstop this evening... so needless to say I grabbed the box and headed to the range without even going inside... sorry dog, have to wait a little longer to go out. After a decent range session I headed to the putting green. While not the best judge due having a couple feet of snow on it until a couple day's ago I had to give this a roll outside right away. WE covered the spec's on this putter already so won't rehash all the data but will give you my initial thoughts.

Looks: Obviously subjective as we all have our tastes in putters but I will say that this is one good looking putter. I've been looking at pic's online all week when I found out that I would be receiving and I can say that the pic's I've seen don't do it justice. Go take a look for yourself at one in your local shop to see for yourself. Both the white and black are a matt finish to prevent the slightest bit of glare looking down at it.

Feel / Sound. This has the pure roll insert and first ball I hit I said man this thing feel good. Very quiet at impact and soft sensation. I tried a variety of balls on the green and all gave the same soft feel off the face.

Weighting: You can feel the weight of the putter but has great balance. To me, it doesn't feel as heavy as my Seemore counter balanced putter but really like the extra weight to it.

I got some time on the green and hit a few back at home on my Tour Links putting green. After about 2 dozen balls on the practice green, this thing was money from 6 feet. If they all didn't go in, they were right on the edge. The head had a super stable feel through impact. The alignment lines on the back and gap align the ball and line well without being distracting.

be3uqaju.jpg

unazamy7.jpg

y5umu3eb.jpg
9uge3unu.jpg

I'm going to go drain more putts on the practice mat here, please ask away with questions!!!

Was able to try this guy out today with Bhilln. First thought for me was it was much heavier than my current gamer the Cleveland Smart Square putter. Also the one Brian had was a little long long so it was basically a belly putter for me. It was defiantly nice and soft off the face and I really enjoyed it.

Was able to try this guy out today with Bhilln. First thought for me was it was much heavier than my current gamer the Cleveland Smart Square putter. Also the one Brian had was a little long long so it was basically a belly putter for me. It was defiantly nice and soft off the face and I really enjoyed it.

Hey; One man's belly putter is another's standard length. #TallPeopleProblems

Hey; One man's belly putter is another's standard length. #TallPeopleProblems

Haha I know, I would have to have it shortened for me. Never have liked tall putters, so you can keep that in you're bag.

Looking forward to everyone's comments on this putter. I wonder how it compares to my Ghost Spider S Counter Balance?

Spending a little more time with the Spider Si tonight on the Tour Links green here tonight under a more controlled environment than a soggy green. After about 20 min's of putting I can see what they are saying regarding the stability of this putter.

First, the sound is a low pitched sound and a soft feel off the face. The ball rolls true right off the face and speed seems consistent. The stability and high MOI of the head is one of the selling points of this club according to TaylorMade and after spending some time with it I can see what they are talking about. After hitting about 30 balls in my normal set up I hit 5 with the ball aligned towards the toe and 5 more at the heel. You can feel when you miss hit the ball, but the feedback is pretty minimal. The sound is slightly higher pitched and a slight feel but the club face remains very stable through the stroke no matter where you hit the ball on the face. Distance didn't seem too affected on my small green, even when hit on the heel and toe the ball still made it to and went into the hole.

The grip is oval shaped and slightly larger than a standard grip, not a big deal for me as I like larger grips but for some it might be an adjustment. It's not super stroke large, but larger than standard.

Starting the testing on this club got me thinking when reading about the MOI and stability claims of this club. We speak of forgiveness in all our clubs and is a determining factor in the set up we choose, however at least for me, I never considered it in my choosing a putter. Now I don't really know why but in the future something I'll sure pay more attention to. While hitting additional shots I compared miss hits on both the toe and heel side vs a counter balanced mFGP putter for comparison and can see a huge difference in the stability of the face through the stroke with the Spider. Toe / heel hits were much more affected with the FGP than the Ghost.

Club forgiveness in a putter... never even considered it, but maybe I should...

Looking forward to everyone's comments on this putter. I wonder how it compares to my Ghost Spider S Counter Balance?

I don't know that the feel or roll would be too much difference, I haven't spend time with the Spider S to compare but the appearance seems to be the big difference.... and of course the Si is much easier to pick balls up off the green with for us with bad backs... :clapp:

Great write-ups so far guys. I see it says to choke down on it is that something to do with the counter balancing?

I can't wait to join along and start rolling this putter.

Great write-ups so far guys. I see it says to choke down on it is that something to do with the counter balancing?

Counter ballanced putters are typically 1-2 inches longer than standard putters that I've seen to get a little more weight higher to counter balance with the heavier head. I have the 38" version and am chocking down a little from the top, but I typically play longer than standard putters.

Counter ballanced putters are typically 1-2 inches longer than standard putters that I've seen to get a little more weight higher to counter balance with the heavier head. I have the 38" version and am chocking down a little from the top, but I typically play longer than standard putters.
Having played counterbalanced putters in the past at 38" and 39", I can say that moving to a 35" cb putter the past few months (smart square then spider mallet) had yielded better results for me. I still grip down a bit, but not as far as I was with the longer putters.

Having played counterbalanced putters in the past at 38" and 39", I can say that moving to a 35" cb putter the past few months (smart square then spider mallet) had yielded better results for me. I still grip down a bit, but not as far as I was with the longer putters.

Interesting; this will be something I play with this year. My regular putter has been fit to 36.5" ; the seemore counter balance is at 40" and the Spider is at 38". In using the Spider Si I seem to feel comfortable gripping about an inch down from the end of the club, so pretty close to where my regular putter length is. More time will tell on how much club above my hands works better for me but will see after spending more time on the course comparing real results.

My Nead is 36" and my Ping Anser is 35" I've rolled a couple of putts this morning and I'm experimenting with gripping at the 34" and 33" mark on the ghost, it seems to be more comfortable at the 33" in mark but more info to come

Using Tapatalk

Nice start
I would be intrested to know if they have made any changes to the Pure Roll incert besides the color on the sides i wonder if sand will still get stuck in there

I gamed the Spider Si prior to teeing off in the HHI, and to answer your question sand will get stuck in the Pure Roll Insert.

The putter looks even better in person. You guys should have a good time rolling these.

Got to roll this one briefly before the invitational yesterday and TM has a winner. Very stable at impact and has a little more weight to it than the other TM counterbalanced models which is a good thing to me

Proud Member of #TeamParadise

Got to roll this one briefly before the invitational yesterday and TM has a winner. Very stable at impact and has a little more weight to it than the other TM counterbalanced models which is a good thing to me

Proud Member of #TeamParadise

Ugh. I wish you weren't holding out. I really want to roll that putter.

I've been rolling putts with this and I really like the feel so far.

In the video I wanted to compare the sound of the insert with different balls. I used the Wilson FG Tour, Taylormade Project A, Callaway SR2 Bridgestone E5 and Hopkins VL.

I'm not typically influenced by the sound off the face of the putter, but I wanted to detail it here for those who are.

The Callaway, Taylormade and Wilson all had more of a hollow sound when using those balls. With the E5 and VL it was more of clicking sound.

The feel to me was pretty consistent, except the Hopkins ball did feel a little bit harder off the face.

Back