TaylorMade Ghost Spider Si Putter Review Thread

Mmaynard let me roll his a few times. Love this thing, the weight is great in my opinion and still has a great roll off the face. Might be replacing my DLL when this baby is released

I haven't been a fan of a lot of the TM putter designs, but I really like the looks of this one at address. For the folks who switched to a CB putter, how much longer do you play it then your standard length?

I haven't been a fan of a lot of the TM putter designs, but I really like the looks of this one at address. For the folks who switched to a CB putter, how much longer do you play it then your standard length?

I'm testing the 35". They offer it in 38" as well, I think if you're fit into a shorter putter you'd want to go with the 35" and if you're fit into a longer putter you would go with the 38"

I'm also still toying with my hand position in terms of what feels the most comfortable and stable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well before this thread got moving along I thought it would be best to share my initial thoughts regarding the Spider Si. Thanks again to THP and TaylorMade for providing me with this opportunity.

About Me:
My current gamer is the SeeMore Si2 set up with standard grip and a length of 35". I recently switch this year from an Odyssey 2-Ball.

I had the opportunity of receiving my putter at the HHI, which promoted instant on course action. I will be testing the Spider Si at the 38" length.

7enajajy.jpg
zaseby6u.jpg

The aesthetics of the club upon first glance looked amazing. The color design of red, white, and black fit great together. Like others have mentioned the red grip stands out.

When I first picked up the putter the weight difference is definitely noticeable, however that is consistent with most counterbalance putters.

Address:
The ball sits well at address and the alignment aids on the putter are easy to use.
jyzydygy.jpg

The TaylorMade Spider Si is my first go with a counter balance putter and I had to remind myself to grip down.

Thanks for the sticker TM.
a7ypeby2.jpg

I gave it a few rolls on the practice green and the sound off the putter was pleasing to the ears. The roll was true, even when stoking the putt off the toe.

The only thing it want to point of as a word of caution would be for those who are picky about their clubs, the roll pure insert will pick up sand between the grooves that will need to be cleaned out.

Fast forward to today:
I decided I was going to use the Spider Si for the entire round. Overall I was impressed how the ball was rolling off the face. The added weight (130g) in the grip and overall weight did not effect me that much. My speed was great on lengthy and short putts.

Looking forward to more work on the putting green tomorrow.

Well before this thread got moving along I thought it would be best to share my initial thoughts regarding the Spider Si. Thanks again to THP and TaylorMade for providing me with this opportunity.

About Me:
My current gamer is the SeeMore Si2 set up with standard grip and a length of 35". I recently switch this year from an Odyssey 2-Ball.

I had the opportunity of receiving my putter at the HHI, which promoted instant on course action. I will be testing the Spider Si at the 38" length.

7enajajy.jpg
zaseby6u.jpg

The aesthetics of the club upon first glance looked amazing. The color design of red, white, and black fit great together. Like others have mentioned the red grip stands out.

When I first picked up the putter the weight difference is definitely noticeable, however that is consistent with most counterbalance putters.

Address:
The ball sits well at address and the alignment aids on the putter are easy to use.
jyzydygy.jpg

The TaylorMade Spider Si is my first go with a counter balance putter and I had to remind myself to grip down.

Thanks for the sticker TM.
a7ypeby2.jpg

I gave it a few rolls on the practice green and the sound off the putter was pleasing to the ears. The roll was true, even when stoking the putt off the toe.

The only thing it want to point of as a word of caution would be for those who are picky about their clubs, the roll pure insert will pick up sand between the grooves that will need to be cleaned out.

Fast forward to today:
I decided I was going to use the Spider Si for the entire round. Overall I was impressed how the ball was rolling off the face. The added weight (130g) in the grip and overall weight did not effect me that much. My speed was great on lengthy and short putts.

Looking forward to more work on the putting green tomorrow.

Nice initial thoughts Maynard. How many putts do you normally average per round? And did you notice any better feel for distance on lag putts?

Wonderful start guys! I love the look of it and will continue to follow this as I need a new putter so bad.

Nice initial thoughts Maynard. How many putts do you normally average per round? And did you notice any better feel for distance on lag putts?

On average I am in the 30-35 putt range. As for the feel on my lag putts I had some good results. (Numerous lags today). Being the 1st time out I was impressed.

One thing I will say is that you don't notice the weight during the putting stroke.

Spent some more time with this today. While it is heavier than standard putter I don't really notice a dramatic difference while swinging, it really does have a good balance between the grip and head weighting. The sound / feel is much more muted than the milled faces I'm used to but not a bad thing at all. A nice soft feeling face without feeling mushy. I had to chance to take a look at other versions of the spider while at the shop today and I really do think that this one looks the best of their spider mallet line by far. The alignment system, both lines and gap in the back ensures the club is squared and works very well at doing that.

The single bend shaft has taken some time to get used to after using only center shafted putters for some time, but with a nice smooth stroke you can't help but put a good roll on the ball. This putter is the most stable putter I've ever tried and super forgiving when the center is missed.

Great initial impressions and pictures guys looking forward to keeping a close eye on this thread in particular and your thoughts on the face and if there is lag over long distance putts.

I am still pretty confident this is my gamer in July. Hopefully my TM Brother War Eagle can convince me this is the one.

I am still pretty confident this is my gamer in July. Hopefully my TM Brother War Eagle can convince me this is the one.

So far, so good. Have yet to roll it on the course, but on the practice green it is giving me results that I really like. Such a good feeling putter, easy to align and just rolls the ball so well.

I'm a fan of the pure roll insert, and have been for years, so I am glad taylormade has kept it similar to what I have always loved about it.

Rolled it several times tonight and it puts both a great, firm roll on the ball but still gave very consistent distance control on both solid and mishits. Ball really seems to start rolling immediately after impact opposed to a little skidding before it starts.

Good putters would like the roll and consistency with this putter.

Poor putters would like the fact the ball gets to the hole and the counterbalancing helps smooth their stroke out on both long and short putts

Ball really seems to start rolling immediately after impact opposed to a little skidding before it starts.

I agree with this statement...I noticed that immediately even with my jabbing today. Once I get comfortable and trust this putter I think it will do wonders.

On average I am in the 30-35 putt range. As for the feel on my lag putts I had some good results. (Numerous lags today). Being the 1st time out I was impressed.

One thing I will say is that you don't notice the weight during the putting stroke.

Interesting. The daddy long legs was the complete opposite. The weight was noticeable through the entire stroke for me. Thanks for the input

Great stuff so far guys. I liked the DLL from last year and glad they kept a similar insert as I thought it felt very nice.

I am really enjoying all of the reviews. However I am unfamiliar with a counter-balance design. Could someone educate me as to why it is good?

Interesting. The daddy long legs was the complete opposite. The weight was noticeable through the entire stroke for me. Thanks for the input

After first when I picked the putter up I was like oh oh. However, once I got it out on the course it wasn't noticeable at all.

The good thing is I right down the road from you.

I am really enjoying all of the reviews. However I am unfamiliar with a counter-balance design. Could someone educate me as to why it is good?

The counter balance design was created to provide the golfer the putter more stability which will lead to a more consistent putting stroke IMO.

I am sure there are others who can further comment on the benefits.

Hey, so a counterbalance design is supposed to help replace the belly putter sans anchoring.

It has a heavier weighted grip/shaft around 130g and the balance point in the shaft is higher, closer to the hands and more weight is added to the head. It helps with the overall stability in the stroke.

Hope that helps.

Using Tapatalk

After first when I picked the putter up I was like oh oh. However, once I got it out on the course it wasn't noticeable at all.

The good thing is I right down the road from you.

Yes. I'm thinking we need to get out soon. Get rob and 441 to meet with me Dave and Tyler somewhere

Imo the counterbalances process helps the putter flow back and through on a pendulum.

In my experience it has a great effect on taking the yips and getting too handsy out of the equation.

Putting a little more weight at the butt end of the club counterbalances the head. This leads to a putter that is rather effortlessly controlled. The putter stays on thr natural arc and releases almost automatically.

There's a video on it from Odyssey in one of the threads in the putter sub forum - I can't figure out how to link from my phone, otherwise I would... Should be near the top though.

I gamed the Spider Si prior to teeing off in the HHI, and to answer your question sand will get stuck in the Pure Roll Insert.

That is what i figured they just need to widen the groves ever so slighty to avoid that issue. I used my DLL on greens a few weeks after punching and spent half the round cleaning the groves

I know its early in the testing, however if I dont ask now I may forget.

I love my DLL but the paint finish above the insert and on the frame starting chipping in small places hear and there really quickly.

I've seen this quite a bit on talylormade white putters. Just wonder if you guys could keep me posted on this with this new line. Thanks

Great info so far guys !
I hope to have one of these in my hands soon and post my own feelings.
Thanks !

Back