TaylorMade Ghost Spider Si Putter Review Thread

I know its early in the testing, however if I dont ask now I may forget.

I love my DLL but the paint finish above the insert and on the frame starting chipping in small places hear and there really quickly.

I've seen this quite a bit on talylormade white putters. Just wonder if you guys could keep me posted on this with this new line. Thanks
I will definitely keep an eye on this, as I have owned 4 TM ghost style putters and never once had an issue with the finish.

Couldn't sleep so out on the course testing the putter.

I am enjoying the early feedback on this one so far.

I have been slacking on this one!
I will have my initial review and thoughts tonight.

I signed up to test the TaylorMade ghost spider Si kind of late, I was debating if I could step so far out of my comfort zone, and still achieve my goals for my games improvement. I am glad I signed up...

Background: I have been playing golf now for about 4 years, I am a high handicapper, and usually average 32-39 putts during my rounds.
I have never gamed or much less rolled a mallet putter other than very quickly in a store.

​Preconceived Notions: Having never gamed a mallet putter, or really given them much chance to be my gamer. I had a thinking that this would be a big, bulky, and awkward head shape. Looking at mallets in the store really never appealed to me. I never rolled a counterbalanced putter either, not really understanding how a counterbalanced putter helps a putting stroke.

Initial Thoughts:
When Mike Dean handed my putter for testing (35" model) at the Hilton Head Invitational, I couldn't wait to take the head cover off and see if my fears were well founded. I was wrong, this putter head is not Huge, Bulky, Ugly, or awkward. I actually found the head to be quite pleasing to my eye.

Upon returning home I snapped a few photos of the TaylorMade Ghost Spider Si on my Birdieball putting green, alongside my 2 most recently gamed putters to give a size and shape comparison for those who may have similar thoughts about mallet putters. (sorry if this gets a little picture intensive)
The putters in comparison are: SeeMore FGP, Ping Anser2, and the TaylorMade Ghost Spider Si
56A5549E-042B-4D60-B02A-3AB299623563_zpsbmde2ttt.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
33E1EB13-587B-4733-BDEF-0429D2D41279_zpsfoh11fso.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
551528D9-BA76-460F-8D32-158F361FCDCE_zpsrn4udwmj.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
503ACC87-BA59-4B57-8B86-33613E244FE1_zpsoixmhypp.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

What I was kind of surprised to see (and you may be too) is that this putter head is not HUGE in comparison to similar putters you may have gamed in the past, or are currently gaming.
Following are a couple pictures with measurements of the putter head for reference.
95673BFA-F6FC-4A56-8462-BA7F2760664A_zpsvqq2sl7y.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
8BD6C1CF-E2EC-4F2A-A608-F4310BE0E2DF_zpsvu5yjdgf.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

So, as you can see, this is not a huge putter head at all. I believe just about anyone could get used to looking down at this putter head shape if given the chance.

One thing that intrigued me when I learned I was selected to test and review this putter is the grip. My FGP has a Super Stroke Slim grip on it and I've grown quite fond of the feel of it. The TaylorMade Ghost Spider Si uses a 15" long 130g grip. In the hands it is plenty big, and comparable to the Super Stroke. I also snapped a picture of the grips for comparison.
194FA9AB-6A87-4CD3-A260-26CC566BF1E1_zpsmmn1k2o1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

One thing the wrapper on the putter handle recommends choking down on the grip to allow the counterbalancing effect.
I put my left thumb on the spider abdomen.

Putter Specifications: Length:35" Weight:380g Insert: Surlyn pure roll Face Balanced 2.5* loft available in RH and LH orientations.

Technology:
TaylorMade’s engineers and product development team spent more than three years working with Tour pros to dial in the precise head design, weight distribution and club specifications to create a remarkably stable and elegant putting instrument. Spider Si is engineered to give you more stability, forgiveness and control to help get your putts on line and get them to the hole.

The large head is counterbalanced by a 15-inch, 125-gram grip, which increases “stroke stability,” which is your ability to swing the head on a smooth and accurate path. Counterbalancing amplifies stability by up to 60% compared a traditionally weighted putter. The putterhead itself is also extremely stable, with an MOI measurement of 6,000+ to help it resist twisting on mis-hits toward the toe and heel. That protects you from losing ball speed, helping you get the ball to your target instead of running out of speed and coming up short. Spider Si also delivers outstanding feel and roll, owing to its PureRoll Surlyn face insert that’s designed to promote smooth and consistent roll as the ball leaves the face. And the face is easy to aim with accuracy, thanks to the simple, elegant head design and contrasting crown colors. Spider Si has already been put in play on Tour, as more and more players make the switch to a counterbalanced putter.**from TaylorMade website**

Feel: This putter feels good in the hands, Having a large putter grip that is similar in size to a grip I am used to is a relief. The grip has a soft light tacky feel to it. To use the counterbalancing TM recommends chocking down on the grip a few inches. The Surlyn insert gets the ball rolling on a stable path.

Alignment: The TM Ghost Spider Si utilizes a 3 line alignment system, which frames the ball nicely. One thing I would personally like to have seen is the lines extended to the face. The current alignment lines work, but I wonder how extending the lines would possibly help. If it is an issue, I will place small pieces of white tape cut to the same width as the lines basically extending the alignment lines to the face to see if this would help alignment.
A1F540EE-6274-4AC6-9061-9A1DA554F99E_zpsz9cbiclp.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Performance: Tonight I was practicing on the Birdieball from a distance of 4'. The Ghost Spider Si done well, The ball was easy to align to the hole, and the counterbalanced head is easy to maintain a good stroke. Distance control is not a problem, it is very manageable and predictable. Although I am interested to see how I do with lag putting.

I will close this initial testing post saying I was wrong to never consider a Mallet Type putter,or a Counterbalanced putter. In my limited time with the TaylorMade Ghost Spider Si color me impressed. So far I like it.
I am very much looking forward to gaming this putter for the testing, I am sure I will continue to be impressed.

Sometimes being wrong is not a bad thing!

As with any testing please feel free to post your questions, concerns, or ideas for us testers to try out, we will be happy to help out!

More to follow...

Last edited:
Great thoughts, CJ. And awesome point to make about while it's a mallet putter, it's not HUGE by any means.

Spider Si is nice and compact, which I am a huge fan of.

TaylorMade Ghost Spider Si Putter Review - Forum Testing

TaylorMade Ghost Spider Si Putter Review - Forum Testing

I have been slacking on this one!
I will have my initial review and thoughts tonight.

Ok I didn't want to quote your entire review because of the length but if I could I would thank you 100 times. That was by far one of the best reviews I've ever read about a single product. There's nothing more I can say but WOW!! Amazing job, enjoyed reading it and can't thank you enough for your time. Incredible job!

Ok I didn't want to quote your entire review because of the length but if I could I would thank you 100 times. That was by far one of the best reviews I've ever read about a single product. There's nothing more I can say but WOW!! Amazing job, enjoyed reading it and can't thank you enough for your time. Incredible job!

Wow! Thank you.
Testing this is a little out of my comfort zone, and I hope to bring thoughts to this testing from that standpoint.

I hope others as well as myself learn from my review.

But thank you for the kind words.

Great photos and comments really appreciate the testers and what they're posting here! How do you guys feel about this putter off the face? Is it similar other inserts (i.e. DLL) or different? Keen to know thanks :)

Thanks for the comparison pictures - I would have guessed the head would have been larger than it is looking at some of the other pictures I've seen.

I can agree with the size comments; while I don't think it's a small putter by any means, the way it sets up doesn't seem large and chunky like some other large mallets do.

Taylormade did a great job with this to maintain the forgiveness of a large mallet while in an attractive package. While much bigger than any of my other putters, it hasn't even crossed my mind how large it is at set up.

Great photos and comments really appreciate the testers and what they're posting here! How do you guys feel about this putter off the face? Is it similar other inserts (i.e. DLL) or different? Keen to know thanks :)

I cannot speak of the inserts of the DLL, but I just rolled a few putts with my Ping Anser2 and a Seemore si2 and compared them to the Ghost Spider Si.

To me the feel off the face definitely felt firmer off the face of the Ghost Spider Si, But it is definitely not what I would call unpleasant by any means.

The Ghost spider Si insert seems to start the ball on a flatter more consistent roll than the other putters tried.

I hope this helps.

I've used a Tank #7 in the past and the insert is very similar, no discernible differences so far. I will compare the two and see if I can find any major call outs between the two.

QUOTE=mpeterson;2889185]Thanks for the comparison pictures - I would have guessed the head would have been larger than it is looking at some of the other pictures I've seen.[/QUOTE]

I will take some comparison pics of it with the Tank #7 I have so you can see how it stacks up.

Using Tapatalk

@hawk this was after 3 rounds. Doesnt effect playability but made me a little upset. I assure it wasn't from miss use as I take great care of my babies
jejuqama.jpg

@hawk this was after 3 rounds. Doesnt effect playability but made me a little upset. I assure it wasn't from miss use as I take great care of my babies
jejuqama.jpg

That's interesting. I would expect more durability. At least it is only color and not structural.

I have been out with the Spider Si for about 3 rounds and do not see any signs of the paint chipping around the insert. I plan on getting out for some green work today.

jejuqama.jpg

Wow. As someone who is obsessive about keeping my clubs scratch/chip free, that would drive me crazy

CJ: outstanding write up man.

Without looking and while hearing the term CB, I would've guessed this was a 37 or 38" model.

I was surprised to see it was 35" and you were recommend to choke down. I know you're a taller guy so I must wonder if choking down on a 35" putter has you too hunched over?

#cookie choking down on the grip does has me hunched over a little bit, definitely more than my Seemore which promotes more of an upright stance.

For me, it is kind of a return to how I used to stand over a putter, so that it is not a totally new feeling for me. Someone who has always used an upright stance may find it uncomfortable.

FWIW, I grabbed mmaynard11's putter he is testing 38", and the grip seemed to be in my way so to speak, so for those thinking of making a Ghost Spider Si purchase, it would be wise to try both and see what you prefer.

Also, because this putter is counterbalanced through the grip, I would think that shaft extenders would dramatically change the desired effect.

CJ: outstanding write up man.

Without looking and while hearing the term CB, I would've guessed this was a 37 or 38" model.

I was surprised to see it was 35" and you were recommend to choke down. I know you're a taller guy so I must wonder if choking down on a 35" putter has you too hunched over?
I am rolling the 35" as well, Cookie. Just as I was in the Spider Mallet. I have moved my hands down slightly with this one, but dont consider it to be choking down excessively. I have found that for me, the counterbalance putters work better in the 35"-36" range, rather than the longer 38"-39" range.

So, basically, having always preferred a 36" putter, keeping that length relatively the same and having it counterbalanced is quite nice and has provided me with some solid results over the past few rounds. I think the big key here is the grip weight on this one, being over twice as heavy as a standard grip, it really jives with the head weight of the Spider Si and provides a true feeling of what a counterbalanced putter can offer me.

Loved the write up MS. When i tried this on Saturday I felt the same thing about the size.
It feels just right and really stable based on the size without a lot of craziness going on behind it. Really did like this one and ready to read more in regards to lag putting with this one

Proud Member of #TeamParadise

jejuqama.jpg
I have had a few of the Ghost CB models (blade, mallet, Ghost S) and this happened on two of the three. Like others I keep my clubs pretty clean and hate chips/flaws in the paint. Seems to me that it is right around the insert area…maybe the paint fill does not cure right or something? It does not effect the performance but it is an aesthetic issue that bothered me at times.

I have had a few of the Ghost CB models (blade, mallet, Ghost S) and this happened on two of the three. Like others I keep my clubs pretty clean and hate chips/flaws in the paint. Seems to me that it is right around the insert area…maybe the paint fill does not cure right or something? It does not effect the performance but it is an aesthetic issue that bothered me at times.

I still love the dll. First taylormade putter I owened. I will be following this thread too and if thet would fix this/have fixed it ill buy another spider modle. They are solid putterd

So I have been putting in some serious time with the Spider Si the past few days. Instead of rushing to throw some comments down, I took the time to gather my thoughts for this write up.

Course Action #2:
After having an up and down day putting with the Spider Si the first time out, I wanted to get back out and see what she could do. I was playing a course with greens that were about mid to fast speed. Initially I thought I wouldn't have any issues with rolling a 38" CB, after GolffinFF showed me the correct way to hold the putter, however I feel I would be better suited to a 35". My 5'8" frame has me feeling like I am standing to far away from the ball and therefore not seeing my line correctly. While yesterday I was leaving myself some 5-8ft, which didn't introduce many misses, it was on the longer putts that I noticed the inconsistencies. All of my longer putts 15+ tended to miss short side of the hole and off line by several feet. Now this may not be totally related to the length of the putter vs my stroke being offline and leaving the face open. I will definitely be watching this over my next several rounds. Note I have been choking down with my left thumb resting on the spider's abdomen, roughly 3 inches.

As far as the grip is concerned I am impressed by the feel and size. If I was to close my eyes I would think the putter was gripped with a SS 2.0 - 3.0 and is made of quality material. Yesterday the grass was a little damp from the dew, and a quick wipe with a towel dried the grip off fairly quick.

Putting Green Session:
The ball sets up nicely at address and is framed nicely by the alignment aids provided on the putter. As most have mentioned upon first glance, picture wise the Spider Si looks huge, however when standing over the ball you see that is not the case.

I focused mainly today on hitting those off center hits and watching the outcome related to roll and line. The Spider Si does a great job of keeping the ball rolling toward the cup and only a slight variation to missing the line. I went as far as almost hitting the ball with the edge of the putter and my ball only came up a few feet short.

I also adjusted my stances related to the distance from the ball today, and while being able to see the line better, I lacked distance control, due to choking down even further. I felt as if I had to swing the putter harder, therefore losing face and path angle. I just did a quick putter online fitting and based upon my input I was fitted into a 36" putter. So maybe tomorrow I will adjust my stance to see if I receive better results.

Back