TaylorMade Golf For Sale?

fupresti

Former Big Deal
Reaction score
Handicap
Marriage
It's not exactly news, but since the last Adidas financials came out it was announced they were looking at options regarding the lagging sales in the golf division. That has been speculated to mean TM is for sale for the right amount. Who do you think they end up going with? What happens to Adams? Does this lead to some issues maintaining a tour staff with DJ and even Jason Day shopping for new deals?

It's not exactly news, but since the last Adidas financials came out it was announced they were looking at options regarding the lagging sales in the golf division. That has been speculated to mean TM is for sale for the right amount. Who do you think they end up going with? What happens to Adams? Does this lead to some issues maintaining a tour staff with DJ and even Jason Day shopping for new deals?

Only a matter of time.

I'm betting its not another golf company, rather, some investment organization or something.

Adams is dead anyways, no value there in that name unless a house brand wants it to be a new house brand.

I do think we some big names leave eventually.

Is it for certain that they are being sold?

I dont think its for certain, and good on Fupresti for putting the ? in the title, but I think the general consensus is that its not "if", but when.

I've heard the rumblings that it's already been done. Now of course that could be just rumors. I bet it's an overseas company.

This is all very interesting to me.

As for Adams, I think they are done. If TM gets bought, it will be interesting to see how things shake out

How long ago was the merger with Adidas? Will Adidas separate from TM now?

Completely outside the box - how about an Under Armour / Taylormade merger?

the pessimist in me worries. a healthy, innovative, exciting tm is good for golf. they are not healthy. they are not exciting. whether they are innovative is up for discussion. the only way i see things getting better for tm is if someone who loves golf wants to own a company and make its revival part of their legacy. for a disinterested buyer who is only concerned with maximizing value for shareholders, i don't see anything good coming from that.

I've heard the rumblings that it's already been done. Now of course that could be just rumors. I bet it's an overseas company.
That's what I was thinking as well.

Any thoughts on who? I just don't know enough about companies overseas.

This has been discussed in multiple threads and the general consensus after some back and forth leads to the real question 'Why would Under Armour want to get into hard goods?'

Any thoughts on who? I just don't know enough about companies overseas.

The rumors have it as a Chinese investor group. Working on some gathering of some info now, as rumors many times are just that, rumors.

This has been discussed in multiple threads and the general consensus after some back and forth leads to the real question 'Why would Under Armour want to get into hard goods?'

I feel they have the capital to revitalize TM and bring in some fresh minds - also their marketing team is pretty stellar - something TM can use some help with as well...

So who's fault is this? Who is ultimately responsible for the repeat failures? Was it Mark King, and if so what happens to him since he was promoted to President of Adidas North America (probably nothing).

probably a smart move to unload the poor performing segment and let someone run with it for a while, it's a great brand with exceptional equipment unless someone buys them to kill the brand which doesn't make much sense.

I don't think getting into clubs is what they need. No need to lose money. They should focus on what they are good at

The rumors have it as a Chinese investor group. Working on some gathering of some info now, as rumors many times are just that, rumors.

I can't help but laugh at the fact that this would mean one of the largest and most popular golf brands would be owned by investors from a country who's government hates golf and has forbidden their party members from joining any clubs.

I don't know if this would be good for the brand but hopefully I'm wrong and TM comes back stronger than ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only way I could see this being a positive acquisition for a company is if the company that buys them has tech and club designs that they can roll out under the TM brand.

TM hasn't done much in the way of putting out a solid set of products that makes waves with the average golfer and with past releases I'm not sure they are working on the tech to do so.

The only way I could see this being a positive acquisition for a company is if the company that buys them has tech and club designs that they can roll out under the TM brand.

TM hasn't done much in the way of putting out a solid set of products that makes waves with the average golfer and with past releases I'm not sure they are working on the tech to do so.

TM does move the meter a little....The M1 thread is 119 pages...

I've heard a lot of rumors in the M&A world on TM, most recently Amer Sports name has popped up. But just rumor.

I've heard a lot of rumors in the M&A world on TM, most recently Amer Sports name has popped up. But just rumor.

If Amer doesnt want to give Wilson any sort of budget for marketing I question them spending money to buy another golf brand when they already own one.

TM does move the meter a little....The M1 thread is 119 pages...

The meter here is quite different from the meter outside of here.

I work with some TM homers and they have grown weary of the brand.

TaylorMade Golf For Sale?

Yokohama was thrown out there as a possibility. They are a global competitor to Sumitomo (Cleveland/Srixon) and Bridgestone. Again, just a rumor but doesn't seem too far fetched.

My best guess (and it's only a wild guess) is Centre Partners by way of its stake in Medalist Partners (former TM CEO Jim Stutts is the CEO there now) will make a play to buy TM from Adidas.

UA won't consider TM because it's dilutive to the earnings. Adidas has this problem today. My bet is a private equity (PE) firm buys TM when the price hits a calculated number. PE firm will clean up the balance sheet and cost structure. PE sells a profitable TM in 5-7 years...if they're good/lucky.

If Amer doesnt want to give Wilson any sort of budget for marketing I question them spending money to buy another golf brand when they already own one.

Agreed, they spend little on marketing for all their lines, in 2014 sales, marketing and distribution expense was only 15% of total sales. Additionally, golf and tennis equipment sales were 8% of the total. Like I said, only a rumor. Tomorrow it will be someone else.

What are the Marketplace rules for selling an entire golf company on THP?

In all seriousness, I'm interested to see where this leaves their tour staff.

Back