TaylorMade JetSpeed Driver Review Thread

This really looks interesting. Does anyone know if the shafts from the RBZ Stage 2 driver will work in the Jet Speed??

This really looks interesting. Does anyone know if the shafts from the RBZ Stage 2 driver will work in the Jet Speed??

I don't think so. This is the 12-way adapter like the R1 and SLDR have.

Just for information purposes, I sent an email to Taylormade Tech support and they claim the Stage 2 shafts will fit the SLDR and the new JetSpeed drivers.

Just for information purposes, I sent an email to Taylormade Tech support and they claim the Stage 2 shafts will fit the SLDR and the new JetSpeed drivers.

Additionally, they will also interchange with the new Adams drivers, which is very cool to see IMO.

I appreciate you doing that! Learn something every day.

I don't think so. This is the 12-way adapter like the R1 and SLDR have.

Whoa, you just blew my mind, so what is the range of adjustability going to be with this driver? 8-12 degree?

Whoa, you just blew my mind, so what is the range of adjustability going to be with this driver? 8-12 degree?

It's 1.5° either way, and then a number of lie angle settings.

Hawk, has there been an indication that a golfer should go up in loft with this driver a la the SLDR, or does the unique characteristics of the SLDR that make increased loft play the role that it does with the SLDR not translate to the Jetspeed?

Hawk, has there been an indication that a golfer should go up in loft with this driver a la the SLDR, or does the unique characteristics of the SLDR that make increased loft play the role that it does with the SLDR not translate to the Jetspeed?

Yes, due to similar weight placement they are recommending that people loft up just like the SLDR. Sort of surprised they sent me a 9.5° because of that, but I can adjust up to 11° if needed.

Hawk I'm hoping to make it to the Taylor made experience and try this out tomorrow. Can't wait.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Hawk I'm hoping to make it to the Taylor made experience and try this out tomorrow. Can't wait.

Will be looking forward to your comments. Thanks!

Will be looking forward to your comments. Thanks!

Well went there and they were still in renovation so I didn't get a chance.

Yes, due to similar weight placement they are recommending that people loft up just like the SLDR. Sort of surprised they sent me a 9.5° because of that, but I can adjust up to 11° if needed.

I'm glad someone asked about this because that was my main question; especially since you've got a 9.5* to test.

It seems this is the replacement to the RBZ2 line while the SLDR replaces the R1 line, but it seems like they're getting closer to each other, but maybe that's just me.

I'm glad someone asked about this because that was my main question; especially since you've got a 9.5* to test.

It seems this is the replacement to the RBZ2 line while the SLDR replaces the R1 line, but it seems like they're getting closer to each other, but maybe that's just me.

I think the low-forward CG is just too good to pass up. For a company that's touted distance for so long, a shift in perception of how to get there that's as successful as the SLDR on tour is not something any company can dismiss. Getting Phil hitting the SLDR is a major coup, IMO.

That being said, I think the JetSpeed will be packing a lot of forgiveness into the head compared to the SLDR. It's not that those things couldn't have been included on the SLDR, but every bit you move away from the face for the sake of increasing MOI, you lose distance and adjustability. But since you're not getting the adjustability of the SLDR on the JetSpeed, they don't have to pin the weight right against the clubface. In essence they can "split the difference" between the SLDR and more conventionally weighted drivers. Combine that with the speed pocket's capacity to make the COR apply to more of the club face, and you have the potential for a driver that loses much less than the SLDR on hits off the screws.

I will say that so long as the weight is still close to the clubface, relatively speaking, then strikes that are not on plane still have enormous potential for madness, even when they are on the screws, in my experience with the SLDR.

Wrapped up testing on this one yesterday.

For those thinking it will be more forgiving than the SLDR, I'd say - maybe a little. Saw the same penal miss as I did with the SLDR, though not as often. Miss was a dying hook that lost a lot of distance and was at times out of play, which is pretty uncharacteristic for me. Not to say I don't miss, but I'm not out of play very often.

That said, it wasn't as frequent as with the SLDR and that's a positive. Distance on center contact was good. My best struck balls were probably 7-ish yards farther than the best struck balls with my X-Hot and the shaft I was testing in it.

Trajectory was lower overall, but not in linedrive territory. Very piercing, but this is a 9.5° head. Still carried pretty well and roll was very good. LM stats showed me with lower LA's and lower spin than I typically like, so might be a good one to look at if you spin the ball too much.

Thanks for the update Hawk, interesting.

Hawk, the similarities with what you saw forgiveness wise in this one compared to the SLDR is eerily similar to that which I have seen with the fairways. This further intrigues me and honestly baffles me a little that they are more similar than different at times.

Hawk, the similarities with what you saw forgiveness wise in this one compared to the SLDR is eerily similar to that which I have seen with the fairways. This further intrigues me and honestly baffles me a little that they are more similar than different at times.

Yea, it's interesting alright.

To me, it's an easy swinging club and the shaft feels good. I'd probably bump up to about 10.5°+ loft to get my launch up a bit, but numbers weren't all that bad on the center of the face or even lowish. Just struggled with lateral misses.

It's just odd to me that this is sort of their 'hacker' driver and still has some qualities that don't match that skill set very well. I think it's a different choice to lengthen the shaft and lighten the total package, both things that are common in the more forgiving drivers, yet still have the weight forward like that.

Yea, it's interesting alright.

To me, it's an easy swinging club and the shaft feels good. I'd probably bump up to about 10.5°+ loft to get my launch up a bit, but numbers weren't all that bad on the center of the face or even lowish. Just struggled with lateral misses.

It's just odd to me that this is sort of their 'hacker' driver and still has some qualities that don't match that skill set very well. I think it's a different choice to lengthen the shaft and lighten the total package, both things that are common in the more forgiving drivers, yet still have the weight forward like that.

Same goes with the fairway, I'm enjoying putting it to work, but hitting it and the SLDR side by side really blur the lines of just how much it is really different. A small margin of added heel/toe forgiveness? Sure, but not as much as one would expect out of a line that is apparently supposed to cross into golfers that the SLDR doesn't cover.

Same goes with the fairway, I'm enjoying putting it to work, but hitting it and the SLDR side by side really blur the lines of just how much it is really different. A small margin of added heel/toe forgiveness? Sure, but not as much as one would expect out of a line that is apparently supposed to cross into golfers that the SLDR doesn't cover.

I suppose the shaft pairing makes it a little different, but then I thought about the stock SLDR shaft and it's not much heavier. My guess is that this one should help people elevate the ball a little better.

Sound is ok. A little hollow and a little loud-ish, but not bad by any means.

Just seems like it's there to hit a price point and misses the mark when it comes to matching the needs of most golfers in the category they are targeting. I loved the long shots, but the misses were definite no-go's for me. My game relies on staying in play off the tee.

I am getting a little nervous about the TM line of drivers. Sounds like both of their current offerings do not offer alot of forgiveness on off-center hits. That is a crucial crucial component of a driver for me.

I will say the heel was better than expected. I rarely hit heel balls, but did hit one low/heel yesterday and it stayed in play. Lost yards, but not drastically.

I will say the heel was better than expected. I rarely hit heel balls, but did hit one low/heel yesterday and it stayed in play. Lost yards, but not drastically.

I tend to miss off the toe way more than off the heel. I struggle with distance as it is. Losing distance is going to kill me. With that said, I will reserve judgment until I hit it myself.

Yea, give it a shot Dev. I think with the right loft you'll like the trajectory on good contact. The shaft should be right in your wheelhouse.

Yea, give it a shot Dev. I think with the right loft you'll like the trajectory on good contact. The shaft should be right in your wheelhouse.

Pardon my ignorance but what loft does it go up to in LH?

Back