TaylorMade JetSpeed Driver Review Thread

Just pick up a 9.5* Jetspeed with stock shaft after a very thy rough Trackman session. I was surprised that with all the great clubs out there it came down to the Jetspeed or the SLDR. Jetspeed was the longest club I hit with decent consistency and the SLDR was without a doubt the closest to the center of my aim. Jetspeed was 38 total yards longer though.

Wow, any insight on the drastic difference in length. 38 yards is huge.

Oops, that was a typo. It was 28 yards longer. Big difference was in backspin. The SLDR spun at about 1700 and the Jetspeed at 2100. With my slower swing, 88 club head speed, I need the backspin. I'll post the data soon.

Oops, that was a typo. It was 28 yards longer. Big difference was in backspin. The SLDR spun at about 1700 and the Jetspeed at 2100. With my slower swing, 88 club head speed, I need the backspin. I'll post the data soon.

What loft were you hitting in the SLDR ?You probably needed at least another 2 degrees more from the 9.5 in the Jetspeed to have a true comparison. But the bottom line is you found a club that works - congrats!

The SLDR was set to 12*. I was hitting it just as high, but without the spin, the ball was falling out of the sky. Fun thing was the SLDR was giving me 30 yards of rollout where as the Jetspeed was giving me 29.

Here is the data from my driver fitting yesterday.

I hit the following heads with different shafts in each:

913 D2
Bio Cell
Jetspeed
SLDR
Big Bertha
ZL Encore
G25
XGC 7

The fitter gave me two reports. The first had the data from all 107 swings I took. The second isolated just the top 3 drivers. Here are the top three. White = Jetspeed w/stock shaft; Yellow = SLDR w/stock shaft; Purple = Bertha w/Diamana S+ 62

Dispersion

12673902404_f030080959_z.jpg

Trajectory

12673901974_49ed8af265_c.jpg

Now for the averages.

Jetspeed:
Ball speed = 125.2
Launch Angle= 16.7
Spin = 2366
Carry = 195.5
Total = 224

SLDR:
Ball speed = 118.1
Launch Angle= 14.7
Spin = 1943
Carry = 173.5
Total = 203.8

Big Bertha:
Ball speed = 117.9
Launch Angle= 15.4
Spin = 2471
Carry = 172.4
Total = 201.4

Sort of confused from a fitting perspective as to where TM is going with their drivers. When your flagship driver really works only for a small percentage of golfers, you would think that your other main line would be for the majority of golfers. However, the Jetspeed does not appear very forgiving in the fittings I have done. In that department, TM now lags behind Ping and Callaway by a good distance (and even . Maybe TM is trying to capitalize on golfers' obsessions with spin numbers?

Sort of confused from a fitting perspective as to where TM is going with their drivers. When your flagship driver really works only for a small percentage of golfers, you would think that your other main line would be for the majority of golfers. However, the Jetspeed does not appear very forgiving in the fittings I have done. In that department, TM now lags behind Ping and Callaway by a good distance (and even . Maybe TM is trying to capitalize on golfers' obsessions with spin numbers?

I found the Jetspeed to offer a decent level of forgivness. While it was not even close to the Bio Cell in terms of forgivness, it was considerably longer for me. The SLDR was so close to the center line of my aim that it wasn't even funny, but my slower swing speed just couldn't get the ball out there as it is a heavier clubhead. If I can get my swignspeed with the SLDR as high as I could the Jetspeed, I would have purchased the SLDR instead.

All that being said, the beauty of playing golf today is that there is something for everyone and every swing.

I found the Jetspeed to offer a decent level of forgivness. While it was not even close to the Bio Cell in terms of forgivness, it was considerably longer for me. The SLDR was so close to the center line of my aim that it wasn't even funny, but my slower swing speed just couldn't get the ball out there as it is a heavier clubhead. If I can get my swignspeed with the SLDR as high as I could the Jetspeed, I would have purchased the SLDR instead.

All that being said, the beauty of playing golf today is that there is something for everyone and every swing.

Good stuff Adam. In my unofficial playing around on a simulator with the SLDR in a 12' - I had almost identical results! It was so straight - maybe because of the low spin. But the SS was nearly 4 mph less than other clubs I hit ( my R1, Covert 2.0 ) Higher spinning drivers tend to magnify my fade for sure.

Good stuff Adam. In my unofficial playing around on a simulator with the SLDR in a 12' - I had almost identical results! It was so straight - maybe because of the low spin. But the SS was nearly 4 mph less than other clubs I hit ( my R1, Covert 2.0 ) Higher spinning drivers tend to magnify my fade for sure.

Yea, I really wish I could get the SS up with the SLDR. That thing was insanely accurate. Just to short. I may pick one up if the funds allow just so I have a driver that I know will be short, but will be in the fairway.

Covert Tour 2.0 was leading the pack..... got scared off by all of the "still launching too low" comments on internet.. had a good demo session with one even with wrong shaft(stiff instead if regular)

Option #2 save a penny, use connection and grab a jetspeed tp for good number.... JS feels great , low spin but I'm not a graphics fan....softer on this head......

Placed order today .....10.5* with matrix ,....,wait for it....... t69! ......yes the fairway shaft......68g in regular , 3.5* torque mid-launch at 45"

Be here in 10 days or less

So after some time on the range and also on the course today this club will be staying in my bag! I have always had an issue putting to much spin on the ball causing it to balloon. With the Jetspeed I was able to really go at the ball with confidence and hit nice high, piercing drivers that had nice roll out. I bought the 9.5 degree thinking I might have to drop the loft to 8.5 degrees like my current Superdeep. But I left it at 9.5 degrees and noticed that my launch is more ideal and with the Jetspeed with no ballooning. Overall I am very happy with this driver, but might tinker a bit with different shaft combinations.

Ok so to update this post. I like another person on here broke the driver. I actually cracked the face of the driver. So my playing partner had just gotten the SLDR 430 and said I could try it. First swing I crushed a driver 320. He immediately grabbed it from my hands and said "that's mine!" LOL So after playing his driver for the next 5 holes to finish my round we stopped back at the store I bought the driver from and they allowed me to trade the club back in and apply the credit towards a new SLDR 430 9*. This SLDR is amazing and I LOVE the sound of it.

Not that I didn't enjoy the JS even though I hit some snap hooks with it the SLDR fits my swing much better and is an amazing club for me.

I hit both the Jetspeed and the SLDR yesterday for the 1st time. I was hitting them a little towards the heel for some reason which is just the opposite of my normal toe miss, but I found them both very harsh feeling compared to the R1. I am really hoping it was just my swing being a little off that day, because I need to like one of these drivers.

I hit both the Jetspeed and the SLDR yesterday for the 1st time. I was hitting them a little towards the heel for some reason which is just the opposite of my normal toe miss, but I found them both very harsh feeling compared to the R1. I am really hoping it was just my swing being a little off that day, because I need to like one of these drivers.

Which one are you trying to like or trying to get ready for in July?

Which one are you trying to like or trying to get ready for in July?

I wanted to try both, but was expecting to favor the JS.

I wanted to try both, but was expecting to favor the JS.

Are you looking to stick with the stock shaft that comes with each driver? For me the stock shaft in the JS was WAY to light! I think that was causing me to hit snap hooks with it. I changed out the stock shaft in my SLDR 430 too to the Fujikura Motore Speeder Tour Spec VC 7.2 X-Stiff Shaft. Thanks to baldguy from here. :) With this shaft I am killing it! So you may want to test out each driver in the TP model with a upgraded shaft and see how you are hitting each.

Are you looking to stick with the stock shaft that comes with each driver? For me the stock shaft in the JS was WAY to light! I think that was causing me to hit snap hooks with it. I changed out the stock shaft in my SLDR 430 too to the Fujikura Motore Speeder Tour Spec VC 7.2 X-Stiff Shaft. Thanks to baldguy from here. :) With this shaft I am killing it! So you may want to test out each driver in the TP model with a upgraded shaft and see how you are hitting each.

They were both just stock shafts. When I go to get fit I'm sure I will try several shafts, but I don't know if that will help with the harshness I was feeling that day. Hopefully it was just my swing being a little off that day, I will definitely be doing more test over the next few months.

They were both just stock shafts. When I go to get fit I'm sure I will try several shafts, but I don't know if that will help with the harshness I was feeling that day. Hopefully it was just my swing being a little off that day, I will definitely be doing more test over the next few months.

Getting fit is always the best thing to do. I think the harshness might have been the shaft. But if you were hitting off the heal that would add to it. I find the SLDR 430 to be a very solid feel. But then again the few times I have caught it on the "screws" I felt like I whiffed the ball.

Best of luck and I am sure you will find the right club for you! Report back with your findings and results.

jet story... was in the bay today when an older gentleman was hitting a covert 2.0. A taylormade rep shows up watches him hit 1 ball he then wrenches up a jetspeed he goes from 240 to 265. Of course I asked him to set me up as well but I had no luck with the jetspeed.

Jetspeed story….had a 9.5 degree adjusted to 10* with a stiff flex shaft - not sure what it was - I liked the matte black crown, and hit some great shots with it, but for me personally didn't really like the sound/feel (my current gamer is an R11S).

However, my friend/swing coach really liked it and was crushing it with no negative thoughts…to each their own!

Ok....first round 7/14 fir on a classic Donald Ross design. 4 very solid on a very nice trajectory. Distance seemed longer but unsure about actual yardage so I'll reserve judgement. The issues I've had recently could be solved with this stick. Mainly solid launch without being overly spinny.... reduced side spin but still workable. Guy can dream .......

Round 2: familiar course knowing both distances and lines to take......11/13 fir with 3 poor/timid swings.........bushnell lasered 4 over 265yds.....3 downwind but still 20+ anything I've had in past few years.....confidence grew with each swing as I found the club is very stabke and loves to be SWUNG!

I know that everyone has different needs but finding a combo( 10.5* with heavier velox t-69 regular @ 68g and 3.5* torque) that increases all positives while keeping negatives in check....... speaking of..... shot shaping is subtle but still there.

Most have chosen to overlook this club as a re-tread or space fill but the performance gains I've seen over RBZ and R series is amazing! Maybe I've fooled myself into thinking tour presence is what I need.....SLDR or R11, R1 etc..... but enough of the ego and let's drop bombs!

BTW Villegas, Points, Els, Jerry Kelly, Ryan Moore, Creamer, Nordquist , Brian Harman.....just to name a few are Tour users!

To add to the distance claim........ I played with a good friend who normally hits it even with me......sometimes more or less but pretty even .......well he played with me during 2nd round but moved up a tee.........more times than not he had 20+yds but I made it up and then some.

I'm still thoroughly confused by this driver. I feel like I have no control when swinging it, yet I'm still carrying 220 with roll out to 240 according to the launch monitor. The ball seems to land about 55' left if where I aim it every time too. It's incredibly consistent even though it doesn't feel like it.

Oh well. It ain't broke so I'm not going to fix it.

Back at the range today during my lunch break. I only hit 5 shots with the Jetspeed, and everyone of them carried 220-230 with roll out to 255 on the longest one. That was according to my Vector Pro and it was using range balls. I like the numbers, but I just wish I felt more in control with this driver.

Back at the range today during my lunch break. I only hit 5 shots with the Jetspeed, and everyone of them carried 220-230 with roll out to 255 on the longest one. That was according to my Vector Pro and it was using range balls. I like the numbers, but I just wish I felt more in control with this driver.

Not sure but is your driver stock? 46" in with 49g shaft? I had it changed by taylormade and it's a BIG difference in feel and control....my shaft is 20g heavier and shorter but I've still gained 15-20 yds of carry

Back