TaylorMade JetSpeed Driver Review Thread

Thanks for the review Hawk! I went by last week to a newly opened PGA Superstore in the Orange County area. Nice that the place is new and was dead so I was able to jump on their launch monitor and was able to put this driver up against my current driver (TM R9 Superdeep) and the SLDR. I thought no way I would like this driver since the shaft was way light for me. But the club felt really good and I felt like I could really go after the ball with the Jetspeed. I even cracked open a ball with it. Obviously they do not use ProV1's as their balls there. Overall I was hitting the Jetspeed on average 10 yards further than both my current driver and the SLDR. I was getting a bit more roll out which is nice. I have always had an issue with too much back spin with my driver and this is the only driver I have seen that is able to combat that issue since my Superdeep.

So I went ahead and bought the driver today and now time to get it on the outdoor range and the course for some real life testing.

Going to hit this bad boy tomorrow on my home course. I hit this on a launch monitor farther than my current gamer by about 10 yards. My swing speed also increased a couple of mph on average. I know there have been questions about the forgiveness of this club, but I look forward to trying it out for myself mañana.

Interesting seeing Pro's putting this into play over the SLDR. Kinda unsure what to make of that.

Interesting seeing Pro's putting this into play over the SLDR. Kinda unsure what to make of that.
Well, the SLDR is a POS and this is the only other choice to try... :)

Me too, actually. I'm curious to see what comes out of their driver line next, has me quite anxious

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Me too, actually. I'm curious to see what comes out of their driver line next, has me quite anxious

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Yeah...and I have to think it will be sooner rather than later.

The R11 was a game changer, then the R11s, then the R1 which was phenomenal IMO. SLDR was then a letdown so I really hope to see them get back on track with the next model.

Yeah...and I have to think it will be sooner rather than later.

The R11 was a game changer, then the R11s, then the R1 which was phenomenal IMO. SLDR was then a letdown so I really hope to see them get back on track with the next model.

Its funny because there are many that would say that the R11 was a game changer because it was white and that they have not put out a good driver in 3 years until they came out with the SLDR. Im not saying I am one of them, but there are quite a few that believe that I have a feeling.

Its funny because there are many that would say that the R11 was a game changer because it was white and that they have not put out a good driver in 3 years until they came out with the SLDR. Im not saying I am one of them, but there are quite a few that believe that I have a feeling.

White did change the game in terms of sales I believe but I was thinking more in terms of adjustability. I loved the R1 for me personally....I will argue to the end with someone that thinks the SLDR is better than the R1. :)

I know there have been some reviews about this driver being unforgiving, but I hit it today for only 9 holes and hit it very far and straight. For those that like the big flat looking driver, ie rocketballz, this driver really sets up nicely. Shallow face but very big heel to tow. Really not shallow face but just not like the Cleveland classic where it is huge from top to bottom. I bought the 12 degree and feel like I can tee it a little lower and really go after it. Played it at 12 degrees today for 9 holes and hit some bombs for me. The sound at impact of a well hit shot is pretty awesome and addicting. Hit it 7 times in 9 holes and had 2 drives that made my partners jaws drop. Only 9 holes but, I really like the way this driver sets up makes me feel confident at address. Can't wait to go back out and hit this driver again. Going to tinker with the loft a little bit next time and see what happens. Hit some really high long bombs with the 12 degree setting but want to see what the launch would do at 10.5 or 11 degrees of loft. Maybe a little more penetrating, we will see. Still very satisfied with the first maiden voyage of this driver. Very forgiving for me on slight toe and heel strikes and very long on the ones I hit in the center.

It nice to see some positive thoughts coming in on the Jetspeed, I haven't hit it yet, but I really like the looks of it.

I need to hit this one. So far, it has escaped my grips, hopefully this weekend that changes.

I would be one of them JB. I bought the R11, in a 12' stiff shaft, ( I was ahead of the loft hype lol ) and have yet to be able to knock it out of the bag, and I certainly have tried. I hit the SLDR last week, and I think when it hits in a 14' loft, ( hearing end of this month ) it will probably find its way into the bag. I hit it dead straight, but with my SS down to 85mph because of my shoulder and the low launch nature of the club I need a tad bit more loft. Best feeling and hearing driver I have hit in quite some time. I know on paper there is probably no way I should be hitting this club, but I know what I saw - and felt.

I got to play a couple of holes today after work, only 6 holes, I hit this driver on 5 of the holes and hit 3 monsters for me. Played on my home course and hit some places on the course I have only been a couple of times. 3 of the drives were in the 250+ range, which for this 87-90 mph swing, is pretty awesome. I did buy the HL loft with the standard M flex shaft. I lowered the loft one notch below standard on the sleeve. Think it's about 11.5 degrees. Had to swallow the pride on the M flex shaft, but the results so far have been impressive. I think the shaft matches up with my swing pretty well, which I would categories on the smooth side. I depend on timing and tempo for whatever power I get and I think this shaft loads well for me. Playing in my men's golf association this Sat. and will be able to see how it performs under some pressure.

So after some time on the range and also on the course today this club will be staying in my bag! I have always had an issue putting to much spin on the ball causing it to balloon. With the Jetspeed I was able to really go at the ball with confidence and hit nice high, piercing drivers that had nice roll out. I bought the 9.5 degree thinking I might have to drop the loft to 8.5 degrees like my current Superdeep. But I left it at 9.5 degrees and noticed that my launch is more ideal and with the Jetspeed with no ballooning. Overall I am very happy with this driver, but might tinker a bit with different shaft combinations.

I think it's a step back for them as well. They blended looks that were popular 4+ years ago with technology that is in their other line (and frankly, not that kind to the majority of ams out there).

After a hiatus, I finally had the chance to hit a Jetspeed 10.5 driver and 17 degree HL 3 wood, which match the spec's of my current gamers. As you know, I was not optimistic about them and now I have to admit that they're not bad clubs.

Both were very easy for me to hit. I did not experience my usual "fight the fade" tendency with overly open faced TMag metal woods. Both launched straight for me in neutral settings. Normally I have to torque TMag woods closed AND lead tape their heels to get them to go straight. Not so this time. Forgiveness was good, dispersion was good, distance was okay, but they did NOT feel longer than my current clubs. I'll have to get them on a monitor to be sure. The JS 3 wood launched lower than the RBZ 2 3 wood with the same loft and I like the RBZ HL's angle better. It was great not having to clean crap out of the speedslot after EVERY shot! The JS driver launched fine at stock 10.5 and I never adjusted it. I would play these clubs if I didn't think I had better ones in the bag already.

I definitely prefer the muted JS looks to the white Mondrian RBZ. Perhaps the JS alignment aids did work because I had no trouble setting them up. Overall, these aren't bad clubs.

Now for the shocker. I bought the 3wood and the driver online from authorized TMag sellers for $114 and $144 respectively IN THE FIRST WEEK OF RELEASE! No, I didn't get lucky or do anything special, the vendors were simply fire-selling them right out of the gate. What does that say about the confidence retailers have in this product line? Do you think we'll see anything like that with the Cally BB launch in two weeks? No chance.

But when the dust settles, TMag might actually sell a few of these clubs to content users. Probably not anywhere near MSRP, though.

Glad they worked out for you mb. Crazy that you got those deals so early on.

I went and hit this thing again a couple days ago, and came away a little more impressed this time than last. It's not a bad driver and I didn't want to like it, but it is growing on me slowly.

I did something very dangerous, I had about a three hour drive the other night and was messing around on eBay (I end up buying a ton of junk when this happens). I bid on a new JetSpeed and what do you know I won the auction. I was thinking "what the hell am I doing" I have not even hit this thing and was not crazy about the SLDR that I played a round with a few months ago. I figured if I did not like it I could sell it or trade it for equal value, I got a great deal on it. It came in last Monday (course closed) and Tuesday "snowpocalypse" hit, so Thursday in about 45 degree weather I hit on the range and then played about 6 holes. I did not hit it well often but hit a few on the range that seemed to travel longer and not balloon as many of my drives do. On Friday I played a quick four hole loop of first tee hit one very high on the face and was impressed how far it traveled nothing astonishing but really pretty happy for bad mishit. Number two is a par 3, number three a 400 yard par 4 i hit up the left side of the fairway and could not find it initially because I was looking well short, where I normally hit my drives, I found it and was thinking I've never played my 2nd from here. The next hole is a par 4 dogleg right around water, it is probably 220 to carry the water to cut the corner and that leaves you 15 feet below the fairway not the ideal place to be. I decided to aim for the middle of the fairway, the safe play, you can miss right or left from here and you are fine. The problem is I hit my drive through the fairway through the rough and into a drainage creek. I initially did not think it was my ball but it was indeed. I walked away Friday thinking wow this may be a game changer. Yesterday morning I got a text from a friend that I play with often wanting to know if I could play 9 at a muni that afternoon. On the first hole I hit one of the toe it felt like but it went straight up the right side of the fairway and he said wow great ball. I said "thanks" knowing I did not hit it well but just left that alone, I blocked my drive on 2 but still hit it a pretty good ways. What happened after that made me realize that I need to really work on my short game (this is a very short course mind you) I crushed my drives on 3, 5, 6 & 8, long high and straight. I was 92 yards from the flag on 3, I was 170s on the par 5 5th, under 100 on 6, snap hook on 7 hit a tree took a drop and on 8 ended up about 10 yards short of the green. 8 is about a 315 yard par 4, if you can carry at least 260ish hot, you have a chance to get on the green there is a steep hill that runs down to it. I look for a ball mark but did not find one. Unfortunately 9 is par 3 so back in the bag it went.

*****If you don't want to read a bunch of junk start here******

I just started playing golf in May but very well may have played more since then than most retired folks who live on golf courses. I have been hitting a Cleveland Launcher Comp 460 since about July. I have liked it, feel like I have been very average as far as distance goes but seem to balloon many of my drives and get no roll. My early review of the JetSpeed is 10/10 for my game. I have the 9.5 stiff shaft and am playing it at 9.5. I have hit this driver long straight and with roll, my mishits on the face have been very forgiving. The sound of this driver is great, hated the sound of the SLDR. With all that being said the only things I have to compare to are the before mentioned Cleveland, the SLDR, the Titleist 913 D2 and D3, an older Calloway and the TaylorMade R9. I have hit the R11 a few times dropkicking it every time and can't remember hitting anything else more than a couple of times. I guess I got lucky, I hope I get as lucky with the SeeMore putter I bought on eBay the other day (it will be here tomorrow). Wine, beer and eBay do not mix well neither do long drives. At least I only bought a driver and putter. I had a good friend who was having a few glasses of wine (or bottles) and purchased a sailboat on eBay from Michigan. The best part is he had never sailed a day in his life. 3 years later he has completely rebuilt the sailboat and is an avid sailor.

... in the bag it went.

*****If you don't want to read a bunch of junk start here******

I just started playing ...

Hard to tell from your many asides, but I think you liked this driver. And that caused me to think of another valid sales point for the Jetspeed, one that I think will help sell some units. I think many average golfers will prefer the JS over the SLDR if they hit them side by side. If a 3rd driver by a different maker is thrown into the mix they may go a different direction, but if the average tester just sticks to TMag he'll likely prefer the JS.

Most guys I talk to have a very hard time getting the SLDR to perform. Much loft and shaft tinkering seems to be necessary. Only the near scratch golfers with high swing speeds seem to stick with it. For me, it was a low-slinging rock, but I hit the JS just fine from the first swing on and never even adjusted it.

I guess this thread is pretty much done, since I see I was the last poster here. The club has only been out 3 months, are we burying its corpse already?

An update to my thoughts on the Jetspeed. I had no hopes for this "blah" driver when it was unceremoniously dumped on us in December. I couldn't even understand it, much less the reason why it was launched in the dead of winter. I noticed retailers immediately dumping them at cut-rate prices and thought, "This must be a turd."

Then I hit it. It's a fine club, superior to the RBZ 2, very easy to hit, quite forgiving, good dispersion, a little lower spinning and lower launching than the RBZ/R1 but not nearly as low and difficult as the SLDR. I played 18 with it on monday head-to-head against my current gamer, hitting two drives a hole, and it was every bit the gamer's equal. I didn't like its feel or sound much, but damned if the drives it produced weren't right next to the gamer's drives that I thought I nutted.

Now for the bad news -- I "broke" the JS on the 15th hole. Some bit of metal or epoxy came loose and started rattling around inside the bell. After only ONE round of golf.

Egads! So I called TMag CS the next day and said, "Hey there's something broke and loose in my JS." They didn't question me and within seconds were sending me a full replacement. Didn't have to give them a serial number or proof of purchase or anything! Either this means they are getting tons of calls about broken Jetspeeds or TMag just has super easy customer service policies.

Last edited:
I've hit the JetSpeed numerous times and I don't think it's a bad driver, I actually hit it pretty well. The problem is that it lacks the visual appeal of other drivers in its price range while offering the same performance. There's just nothing that stands out about it in a pretty deep field this year.

I've hit the JetSpeed numerous times and I don't think it's a bad driver, I actually hit it pretty well. The problem is that it lacks the visual appeal of other drivers in its price range while offering the same performance. There's just nothing that stands out about it in a pretty deep field this year.

So you're saying, it needs better marketing to justify a higher price? I was kinda happy it had no swooshes, racing stripes or Mondrian lines.

Maybe that's why they are going so cheaply -- they're going to compete in a different price range. I'll tell ya, for under $150 (which is what I paid for mine new) it's a steal.

Just pick up a 9.5* Jetspeed with stock shaft after a very thy rough Trackman session. I was surprised that with all the great clubs out there it came down to the Jetspeed or the SLDR. Jetspeed was the longest club I hit with decent consistency and the SLDR was without a doubt the closest to the center of my aim. Jetspeed was 38 total yards longer though.

Back