TaylorMade M2 Driver Preview

Adding to that, while I didn't ask about them, the M2 irons look really interesting to me. Sort of remind me of the r7 CGB Max irons (hands down the best game improvement irons TM has ever made).

Was at my local golf shop this morning to grab a dozen balls. As I was taking a couple swings with the M1, I asked one of the fitters about the M2. He said the price point will be $399, and felt it was more similar to the Jetspeed than the AeroBurner (in terms of spin and forgiveness).

Guess we'll see if he's right soon enough, but the $399 sounds right. Carbon fiber crown + real shaft options = more $.

I could see that being true based on what I see on the design on the bottom. It sort of looks like the JetSpeed with the weight further back. Since it is adjustable it most likely won't have the wing on the hosel.

Apparently TM is not nearly as concerned about that as some new M1 owners are...

apparently...but maybe they should be based on their recent success or lack of it. I know lots of avg golfers and this is exactly how they look at things. I see it all the time at the pro shop by my house and that comes from TM fanboys too.

Good lord another driver???

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Somehow you missed the point that nobody complains about Mizuno's MP iron naming conventions even though Mizuno's numbers naming numbers are all over the place...That would seem to be far more confusing to a Buyer than what TM has done with the M2 Driver following the M1. TM's name for the AeroBurner replacement seems to bother certain people here, although my original post was to question why the name even matters...as I stated you don't hit the name, you hit the club, and that higher price does not always translate into better performance. As previously stated, for some reason TM just seems to get nitpicked and criticized more than other brands, and now its even their naming conventions...

Well, I really don't see the point in drawing comparisons to other companies, but moreso, I don't see any value in comparing iron releases to driver releases.

The problem I have with the name here, is that I actually really liked TaylorMade's clear differentiation between lines.

R15/R15TP vs Aeroburner
SLDR vs Jetspeed
R1 vs RBZ Stage2
R11 vs RBZ

I don't think people care how often they release drivers, it's more about execution. If it's a replacement to Aero, why? Aside from maybe tour recognition and trying to convince AMs to buy 'what the pros play' I really don't like it.

I understand you support this company, but seriously?

If any company releases one product called A1. Then 6 months later releases another product and call it A2, the ONLY NATURAL RESPONSE is that A2 is the successor to A1.

THP has been very straight forward in that its not the case. In that it is not replacing M1 and that its just another driver in the line, but to pretend that the natural thought of the general person is that 2 does not come after 1 is absolutely crazy.

Throwing out random numeric codes from various years not done in succession and one right after the other has no bearing, but even if they did, that does not change the natural thought process.

It doesnt take away from the club. It doesnt take away from why anybody should want to hit it. Its merely common sense that 2 comes after 1 and when not released together its obvious that people will assume one is the successor.

The best example of this was TaylorMade itself back with R9. If they had released R9, and then R10 instead of R9 460 and R9 SuperTri, the same exact things would have been said.

My take is that the name simply shouldn't even matter..but apparently it does to you...To me its just the driver name TM selected for the AeroBurner replacement. People will see it for what it actually is soon enough, and the driver will either perform for them or it won't. Why make such a big deal over the darned name?

Seems people always need to find something to criticize TM for even when it is unwarranted. Other brands don't get nearly as many negative comments as TM does....and that's a fact you simply can't deny.

My take is that the name simply shouldn't even matter..but apparently it does to you...To me its just the driver name TM selected for the AeroBurner replacement. People will see it for what it actually is soon enough, and the driver will either perform for them or it won't. Why make such a big deal over the darned name?

Seems people always need to find something to criticize TM for even when it is unwarranted. Other brands don't get nearly as many negative comments as TM does....and that's a fact you simply can't deny.

Have you read half the threads on THP?

Might want to check out PXG or Ping's G30 release if you've got some free time.

Or about 1,000 other threads with negative responses to bad release cycles/names.

I remember Ping getting some heat for their G30 release last year and how they held one back for a couple months. That was a mistake, and one they deserved the heat they got.

My take is that the name simply shouldn't even matter..but apparently it does to you...To me its just a driver name TM selected for the AeroBurner replacement. People will see it for what it actually is soon enough the driver will either perform for them or it won't. Why make a big deal over the name?

Seems people always need to find something to criticize TM for even when it is unwarranted. Other brands don't get nearly as many negative comments as TM does....and that's a fact!

It has nothing to do with the brand.
It has to do with common sense and names.
Just as people were critical of naming a club rocketballz or after bringing ski slope info to a driver name (double black diamond). Nobody is saying a negative thing about TaylorMade. Just that the naming can cause confusion.

Im not sure why its being argued with such fervor, but its becoming the norm with these posts and the brand being discussed. Everybody is allowed to have an opinion on a club, the name or anything else. The defense of someone not liking a name is a bit puzzling, since it is so subjective.

Have you read half the threads on THP?

Might want to check out PXG or Ping's G30 release if you've got some free time.

Or about 1,000 other threads with negative responses to bad release cycles.

You can't deny that every time TM product comes out is just a bash session on w/e it is. He is correct about that. Which is fine the forum members don't like it ok, but that is all the TM threads turn in to a bash session. It is what it is TM gets an unbelievable amount of hate on here. They don't get a fair shake by the forum members for w/e reasons they have.

You can't deny that every time TM product comes out is just a bash session on w/e it is. He is correct about that. Which is fine the forum members don't like it ok, but that is all the TM threads turn in to a bash session. It is what it is TM gets an unbelievable amount of hate on here. They don't get a fair shake by the forum members for w/e reasons they have.

Check the irons threads.
There is virtually no negative posts at all.
Same with the wedge threads.
Same with the putter threads.

The last two drivers have been very polarizing, but that is not so different from many other brands.
People bought into a lot, and since early SLDR have been a bit turned off.
Part of that is being the biggest company (at one time) with the most sales. That means more people are talking about it.

I guess its just a slow day around here and more interesting topics are hard to come by.

Amazing to see people get so worked up over TM's latest club name which isn't nearly as bad as some of their previous club names...Oh well...just have at it...silly as it is...

I guess its just a slow day around here and more interesting topics are hard to come. Amazing to see people get so worked up over TM's latest club name which isn't nearly as bad as some of their previous club names...Oh well...have at it!

What? Listen, I get that you skip most of the threads on THP unless they are TaylorMade, but lets not go down this type of path.
Contest thread has hundreds of posts.
Regional Rivalry threads have thousands of posts
Multiple Review threads are booming
Multiple event threads are booming
Multiple driver previews are crazy long.

I get you enjoy the brand, but bashing people for having an opinion on the name of the club seems a bit harsh. You are welcome to your opinion and to share it any time you want, but lets try to remember that so is everybody else and it appears that many feel a certain way about the release title.

So true...Too bad JB just won't admit it...

So true...Too bad JB just won't admit it...

THis is the last time this will be brought up. I dont determine other's opinions, that is up to them. I have my own, which if you read the threads was quite fair to their current driver, very fair to their previous and very factually based.

There is no reason to go down this path.

Check the irons threads.
There is virtually no negative posts at all.
Same with the wedge threads.
Same with the putter threads.

The last two drivers have been very polarizing, but that is not so different from many other brands.
People bought into a lot, and since early SLDR have been a bit turned off.
Part of that is being the biggest company (at one time) with the most sales. That means more people are talking about it.

They make putters? There is not another OEM that catches as much flack as TM. The M1 thread is a lot of positive as well. More than negative for sure. This club isn't even released yet and they are being criticized. It's just undeniable that the forum members hate on TM more than any of the other OEMs. Which again is fine if they hate it. They can have there opinions. This is merica!

Have you ever considered that the attitude toward a product is a reflection of the quality that comes alongside it? Are you suggesting that if I don't like a release one year, I have to be nice the next release because I'm just piling on at that point?

For the record, I loved my time with the R15TP Driver and thought my review was very well balanced -- As was that thread... I spun the living hell out of Aeroburner and didn't bash it, despite the door being wide open. I also think I've talked more about TaylorMade irons than the company has even discussed them... Which is not much.

I don't need to deny anything, because TaylorMade isn't releasing game changing products. When was the last time they did something that wow'ed people? When was the last iron release they had that was even marketed?

Sometimes, Hox, the 'hate' is merited. That's what unbiased opinion is all about (coming from a guy who had a bag FULL of TM not a couple years ago).

I guess its just a slow day around here and more interesting topics are hard to come by.

Amazing to see people get so worked up over TM's latest club name which isn't nearly as bad as some of their previous club names...Oh well...just have at it...silly as it is...

Seriously, you say the same thing every time like it's unfair to TM, but I honestly doubt you have spent any time in any of the other club threads on THP. I remember contesting the name "double black diamond" as well as the G30 release cycle. The decision to return "King" to Cobra's lineup and the idea of PXG players being "troops"

Really and seriously, I think you'd do well to stop taking opinions in a TaylorMade thread personally, because this type of honesty is exactly what you're going to get across the site.

They make putters? There is not another OEM that catches as much flack as TM. The M1 thread is a lot of positive as well. More than negative for sure. This club isn't even released yet and they are being criticized. It's just undeniable that the forum members hate on TM more than any of the other OEMs. Which again is fine if they hate it. They can have there opinions. This is merica!
I have no hate for TM. Wasn't long ago I had a full bag of their stuff for a full season, and played their wedges for 4 straight years(3 different lines). To me what has been shown is a disconnect with the brand. They pushed their tech in one direction that didn't help golfers make the game easier, yet instead made things more difficult for a larger population. Their irons have been good the last few years, the face slots were interesting. RSI 1's were in my bag for a chunk of the year. In terms of other OEMs, I bet you would find more dislike for what Nike has done in the last few releases. It's just that Nike doesn't sell a lot of clubs, the voices against Nike aren't as loud. As for the M2 driver, I hope it's more like the R9 460 than Jetspeed.

Have you ever considered that the attitude toward a product is a reflection of the quality that comes alongside it? Are you suggesting that if I don't like a release one year, I have to be nice the next release because I'm just piling on at that point?

For the record, I loved my time with the R15TP Driver and thought my review was very well balanced -- As was that thread... I spun the living hell out of Aeroburner and didn't bash it, despite the door being wide open. I also think I've talked more about TaylorMade irons than the company has even discussed them... Which is not much.

I don't need to deny anything, because TaylorMade isn't releasing game changing products. When was the last time they did something that wow'ed people? When was the last iron release they had that was even marketed?

Sometimes, Hox, the 'hate' is merited. That's what unbiased opinion is all about (coming from a guy who had a bag FULL of TM not a couple years ago).

Seriously, you say the same thing every time like it's unfair to TM, but I honestly doubt you have spent any time in any of the other club threads on THP. I remember contesting the name "double black diamond" as well as the G30 release cycle. The decision to return "King" to Cobra's lineup and the idea of PXG players being "troops"

Really and seriously, I think you'd do well to stop taking opinions in a TaylorMade thread personally, because this type of honesty is exactly what you're going to get across the site.

Never said you. I replied in that way as you are a staffer and I'm sure you see more than most. I'm sorry if you took it as I was referring to you personally.

I know another company that uses the whole "M" designation and the difference between the 1M and M2 is quite stark. The latter being the more expensive option that replaced the former.

Calling this driver the M2 is beyond confusing. I told a couple of my buddies and they all said the same thing, "The M1 is already done?"

So I filled them in and they all agreed it's a stupid naming scheme.

For that matter, I find a lot of names stupid in golf. I criticized Double Black Diamond and still think it's a dumb name but I'd game one in a heartbeat. I'll game any club if it's an improvement over what I currently have.

I know another company that uses the whole "M" designation and the difference between the 1M and M2 is quite stark. The latter being the more expensive option that replaced the former.

Calling this driver the M2 is beyond confusing. I told a couple of my buddies and they all said the same thing, "The M1 is already done?"

So I filled them in and they all agreed it's a stupid naming scheme.

For that matter, I find a lot of names stupid in golf. I criticized Double Black Diamond and still think it's a dumb name but I'd game one in a heartbeat. I'll game any club if it's an improvement over what I currently have.

I'm with you on driver or product names in golf.

I have a scenario question for you.

- Company releases a driver that between spin and forgiveness realistically only suit let's call it 20% of golfers. 100% of golfers hit it and 70% hate it (assuming the other 10% love that they can smash it on a sim one out of every ten swings).

- Year two comes, and a release that nearly mirrors that design comes out. Same experiences and percentages.

- Year three comes, and design appears consistent with former years, alongside a secondary release with shadowed images suggesting it's geared for that higher handicap crowd despite appearances similar to their flagship product, and a name that nearly matches.

What, in your opinion, is a realistic first reaction for that group of 70% who've hated their main driver for a few years? Optimism?

I can't speak for anyone else, but I take nothing whatsoever on this forum personally and maybe you shouldn't either since you seem to have a burr under your saddle for some reason.

As stated previously, I can't understand why a club's name is that big a deal whether it's TM or another brand like Mizuno (irons) that I also mentioned. The only thing I care about is club performance, not the name. Not worth arguing over the name...the fact that it is an AeroBurner replacement will soon be obvious to everyone.

I do happen to "like" certain TM clubs, but I also "like" certain clubs from the Cleveland, Mizuno, and Bettinardi brands.. For some reason those brands just don't attract the same kind of "post attention" here as TM does.

Last edited:
Back