TaylorMade M2 Driver Preview

Sorry lol being dumb misread your post as waiting for m2 review :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm sure its going to be a very good driver, but the name makes no sense. Why M2? I closetly root for TM to be successful because its a good thing when they're strong, but its almost like shooting themselves in the foot in some way has become a mission statement for them.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Keeping the name in the M family, the M2 will be released in a few days. More details including in hand pics in the coming week as THP will have full details.

i-Ht6wjXw-XL.jpg

Was just looking at this again. Wasn't the first thing I noticed before, but looks like they are going back to a natural metal club face instead of the popular black. Or could just be the lighting.

With how popular it's become, I'd be surprised if they went back to that Old school look instead of the black.

Looks black similar to the RBZ and R1 colour.

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 Double Black Diamond was an OK name and Taylormade M2 sucks?

Hmmm not much love for TMAG is there!!!?

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 Double Black Diamond was an OK name and Taylormade M2 sucks?

I don't think anyone is saying M2 is a bad name in and of itself. It's just a lot more confusing than it needs to be when you release it basically simultaneously with a club called M1.

I think that extemely long name for that driver you mentioned got knocked too. Majority of driver names out there are awful these days. It's not about the name as much as the number. When you see something that is listed as 1, and then another release comes out months later and 2, it's easy to think that it's a replacement for the 1. Now that's just going off of name, if you look at them side by side, I'm pretty sure you'd be able to tell that it's not a replacement.

What's wrong with that.. Titleist have a D2 and D3 driver??

What's wrong with that.. Titleist have a D2 and D3 driver??

and they release at the same time so the relationship is already there.

I suppose TMAG had to start somewhere...

I suppose TMAG had to start somewhere...

true. I will say I think it's better than the SLDR with the next release being SLDR S. That had iphone written all over it. Only the S model wasn't any better, only cheaper with a higher loft option.

Agree with that. Just reading the first few pages of this thread and thought an inordinate emphasis to the naming. I think M1 2017 and M2 2017 and 2018 thereafter makes a lot of sense if they do indeed follow that route.

Agree with that. Just reading the first few pages of this thread and thought an inordinate emphasis to the naming. I think M1 2017 and M2 2017 and 2018 thereafter makes a lot of sense if they do indeed follow that route.

it could be. I don't mind companies to that at all. Titleist as kind of done that with 712,714,716 and then attaching the AP number. Callaway appears to be going that route with some things right now, Apex CF 16, XR 16 and so on.

it could be. I don't mind companies to that at all. Titleist as kind of done that with 712,714,716 and then attaching the AP number. Callaway appears to be going that route with some things right now, Apex CF 16, XR 16 and so on.

This is what I hope they do, I think it would be a lot less confusing to consumer. Even if the releases aren't at the same time, people will become familiar with it. Titleist does it the best imo, creating familiarity, same way with their driver line and the 915, 913, and so on.

Really, my only issue w/ the naming scheme is that it flips what they did with 1 and 2 last year in their irons.

I am looking forward to taking some swings with this. I really liked the M1, but 2016 I'm going to look at putting some more forgiving options in the bag, rather than going the other way.

I like that this turned back in to a good conversation instead of just throwing jabs back and forth.

Peterson, I never thought of it like that. The RSi 1 was the easier to hit, and RSi 2 was more playerish than the 1. M1 vs M2 is looking to be the opposite. Good catch.

I like that this turned back in to a good conversation instead of just throwing jabs back and forth.

Peterson, I never thought of it like that. The RSi 1 was the easier to hit, and RSi 2 was more playerish than the 1. M1 vs M2 is looking to be the opposite. Good catch.

I might be taking this back off track again, but to me, that's sort of emblematic of where I see TM's issues being as of late - there's just been a little of inconsistency in their marketing and messaging that has lost people. I think their equipment has still been great. I loved the Aeroburner woods when I played a round with them down in Hawaii, and liked all of the irons.

If they stick with this naming scheme and story after this "reboot", I think they'll be going a long way towards righting the ship.

Yeah, that could certainly get confusing. The way I look at it, I don't care if one is a one, and the other is a two. Just stay consistent. I really like that Titleist stays with the 7## Ap# format, and their ball has been ProV1 for years. Looks like W/S is going to stay with the F/C/D nomenclature for awhile, and the Duo name looks like it'll stay around as well. Ping has their G/I/S naming convention. Bridgestone has kept the naming of their balls very consistent as well, which makes it easier for fans loyal to the brand to return year after year to newer iterations of the product. These are all recognizable brands, with stellar products ... why then do some companies go off the deep end with naming conventions that last a cycle and then disappear? I don't understand it.

I don't understand the hangups on the name. Who cares what the name is? As long as you can tell it from another club, what does it matter?
JMHO

I don't understand the hangups on the name. Who cares what the name is? As long as you can tell it from another club, what does it matter?
JMHO

I think the beef is that TM has a bad reputation for releasing driver updates too fast and it would have made a lot more sense (to a bunch of people I think) had they done a better job of differentiating the new "burner" club from the M1. In the past you have Big Bertha and XR, Titlist 9XX D2 and D3 (same number but different designations), Nike Vapor Pro/Speed/Whatever, etc.

For the average joe, if I said "Taylormade is coming out with a new driver called the M2" and didn't tell you anything else, most people would assume its an updated M1 and not a different style club. I agree the name doesn't matter but it just seems like and odd choice.

JMHO
If names didn't matter, I doubt they would focus so much on them. Considering they brought back the name of their original M1, it matters to TaylorMade quite a bit.

And with dark grainy photos, is there much else to discuss about a club at this point?

Was just looking at this again. Wasn't the first thing I noticed before, but looks like they are going back to a natural metal club face instead of the popular black. Or could just be the lighting.

With how popular it's become, I'd be surprised if they went back to that Old school look instead of the black.

Never mind. Black club face. Not sure how I forgot about this.

TaylorMade-M2.jpg

If names didn't matter, I doubt they would focus so much on them. Considering they brought back the name of their original M1, it matters to TaylorMade quite a bit.
Maybe next time they'll release clubs named Driver 1 and Driver 2. Maybe Driver A and Driver B ... if they want to go crazy, they could go Driver A1 and Driver B1 for the mid-2016 release, and A2 and B2 for the late-2016 release. :silly:

Oh TaylorMade you make me laugh sometimes.

Good luck to them though, seriously a strong TM is a good thing.

Maybe next time they'll release clubs named Driver 1 and Driver 2. Maybe Driver A and Driver B ... if they want to go crazy, they could go Driver A1 and Driver B1 for the mid-2016 release, and A2 and B2 for the late-2016 release. :silly:
I think it's great to have a line that can be easily recognizable by name. It's a hard thing to use through an entire line when you want to repeat the name for multiple years.

That's why I loved (and gamed) the R and burner line back in the day. I knew what I was getting by name alone.

Back