TaylorMade M2 Driver Preview

I have no hate for TM. Wasn't long ago I had a full bag of their stuff for a full season, and played their wedges for 4 straight years(3 different lines). To me what has been shown is a disconnect with the brand. They pushed their tech in one direction that didn't help golfers make the game easier, yet instead made things more difficult for a larger population. Their irons have been good the last few years, the face slots were interesting. RSI 1's were in my bag for a chunk of the year. In terms of other OEMs, I bet you would find more dislike for what Nike has done in the last few releases. It's just that Nike doesn't sell a lot of clubs, the voices against Nike aren't as loud. As for the M2 driver, I hope it's more like the R9 460 than Jetspeed.

Maybe you would but I don't remember any of the Nike threads starting out as a bash session. They get a fair shake until there product fails to hold up. I mean this is just a name and the dislike for that is weird to me. Confusing I don't see it but I wouldn't consider myself a common golfer so it very well could be.

I take nothing whatsoever on this forum personally...As stated previously, I can't understand why a club's name is that big a deal whether it's TM or another brand like Mizuno (irons) that I also mentioned. I happen to like certain TM clubs, but I also like certain clubs from the Cleveland, Mizuno, and Bettinardi brands that don't attract the same kind of "attention" here as TM.

TaylorMade has sold an absolute crap-ton of drivers over the last five or so years. Why wouldn't they be under the microscope?

No offense to Mizuno or Cleveland, but their drivers just don't draw as much interest.

Maybe you would but I don't remember any of the Nike threads starting out as a bash session. They get a fair shake until there product fails to hold up. I mean this is just a name and the dislike for that is weird to me. Confusing I don't see it but I wouldn't consider myself a common golfer so it very well could be.

hahaha I am pretty sure I lead the charge of "why is there a giant hole in the driver" remarks a few years ago.

That design bothers me a ton -- And it certainly hasn't gotten genuine "love" for a ton of members here.

Covert as a name was bashed, esp when everyone realized the driver head was red. The Vapor Fly stuff gets bashed for it's finish as well.
The name thing to me is strange, being as 2 follows 1. I'll be interested to see how it works out on the store shelves with the reaction. Would I be confused? Probably not, but like you I don't consider myself a common golfer.

TaylorMade has sold an absolute crap-ton of drivers over the last five or so years. Why wouldn't they be under the microscope?

No offense to Mizuno or Cleveland, but their drivers just don't draw as much interest.
They get basically no interest. Hence, they're not talked about.

Covert as a name was bashed, esp when everyone realized the driver head was red. The Vapor Fly stuff gets bashed for it's finish as well.
The name thing to me is strange, being as 2 follows 1. I'll be interested to see how it works out on the store shelves with the reaction. Would I be confused? Probably not, but like you I don't consider myself a common golfer.

Covert was was before my active time here on The THP so I will take your word for it. Anyways I hope this club performs for whomever tries it.

Covert was was before my active time here on The THP so I will take your word for it. Anyways I hope this club performs for whomever tries it.

me too, and I will certainly be one to try it out.

Taylormade generates buzz be it positive or negative. General consensus is that the M1 is a great step in the right direction. General consensus is also that naming a stripped down driver the M2 and releasing it 6 months later is dumb.

If a Nike or Cleveland release a dud the thread just remains empty. Heck, after initial poor reviews the Titleist 915D thread was populated by 2 people.

Wow, nine pages of comments and we have not even really seen any details about it.

Except Ap1/Ap2 are released at the same time, which makes sense.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

If, and that's a BIG IF, TM stays with the M-line having opposing release cycles it could also make sense. M1/M2 could both hold the spotlight during their opposing release cyle and not only complement each other but stand on their own feet at the same time. I think it can work both ways, just because one way works doesn't mean no other way will. Who know what TM will do though, not much makes sense with them lately.

, not much makes sense with them lately.

I think this is the biggest issue. Their marketing is downright awful right now.

If I was over marketing at TM, I'd be updating my resume and just holding on while I could

I think this is the biggest issue. Their marketing is downright awful right now.

If I was over marketing at TM, I'd be updating my resume and just holding on while I could

That is what is so mind blowing about all this. They had such a good thing going for so long, even the smallest mistake can seem monumental by comparison.

But, that comes with the territory of being at the top of the driver market. If you misstep, you're going to hear about it. Loudly.

That is what is so mind blowing about all this. They had such a good thing going for so long, even the smallest mistake can seem monumental by comparison.

But, that comes with the territory of being at the top of the driver market. If you misstep, you're going to hear about it. Loudly.
Even the bigs lose sight of what got them there.

I've loved seeing the M1 do so well for them. I just haven't gotten around to hitting it yet but hope to. I'll also swing the M2 while I'm at it.

What's funny about this all is that every company that's the top in its field, will be ridiculed. Apple, Google, Nike in other sports, VW...you name it

I see both sides of the coin on this one.

I understand completely the name throwing off a lot of consumers thinking that this is the replacement for the M1.

But I also understand what tm is trying to do. They've released a very good driver in the M1 that has been received well by the public after s couple years of suspect releases. They're using the M2 to try and capitalize on the name and reach another segment of golfers that for either financial or performance reasons aren't looking at the M1.

So while I personally don't know if it's the right move by tm I understand their thoughts behind it and am curious for how they market it.

That's interesting, Poke. What about the frugal golfers seeking lower spin and more workability?

R15 or JetSpeed or SLDR.
They are all still on the shelves and can be had for a song.

This is correct, as it was stated in the THP article last month. I know people will flock to the "they release too fast" and "the M1 is already obsolete", but that is not the case. While I dont think they should have released it yet, since everybody (including me) knew it was coming, I do believe they should have gone with a different naming convention.

The average golfer is not going to listen to their marketing about the M Family, and instead view it as a replacement, although a quick look will see it is "stripped down" (I dont mean that negatively). I also think the price is bold at $349 based on the last 24 months for them, but we shall see.
The original names were raptor and firebird for this line I believe. I assume they changed do to backlash to those names

R15 or JetSpeed or SLDR.

More choices for the consumer is always a good thing...we should all be thankful for it!

R15 or JetSpeed or SLDR.
No reason to use the SLDR over the R15 really

The original names were raptor and firebird for this line I believe. I assume they changed do to backlash to those names

I'm guessing those were code names... I doubt there was any intention to bring those names to retail

More choices for the consumer is always a good thing...we should all be thankful for it!

as is forgiveness...which is to found in what's left on the shelves from TM

That's interesting, Poke. What about the frugal golfers seeking lower spin and more workability?

I think the more frugal golfer is always going to look towards prior models and used racks. I think most of the new release low spin heads ( dbd, ltd, d3, m1) all sit in a similar price range.

I think the more frugal golfer is always going to look towards prior models and used racks. I think most of the new release low spin heads ( dbd, ltd, d3, m1) all sit in a similar price range.

Yeah, that's why I thought it was interesting that you felt they were releasing M2 to reach a segment not reachable by M1 and referenced financials.

It depends what is viewed as the range.
F6+ is very similar to others in terms of being "low spin" and its less.
I think there are a number of others too. See Wilson and Bridgestone. But they are lesser known, like the Cobra.

I think that many of the companies will have a flagship model priced at that $499 mark though.

The truth is, the industry as a whole had been waiting and hoping the marketshare leader would go there for the last few years. It took a couple of other companies going first and then the leader followed suit (rightfully so). With component costs all going up, it had to happen.

Back