TaylorMade M3 Irons

Getting out on Saturday on a pretty tough course. These are 100% in the bag and I am excited to see how they do. Weather should be calm but cold. Today I am going to try to get some new foresight numbers to see how these are with my new swing changes.
Good luck my friend.

With all the rain we've had in DFW, I've barely played in the last 4-6 weeks...maybe 18-27 holes. Luckily the M3's are super forgiving as my last outing my swing was really rough, yet I was still in play and as I loose I was back to hunting flags because of the soft greens.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Got rushed in the store but I quickly compared my Cg Black 8 iron to the m3 8 iron and RXF 7 iron. 1k less spin average (8k to 7k) and 8 yards longer than the CG Black. Was losing everything right since I can’t close the face to save my life right now. The m3s were hands down the straightest and the only ones that found the green each time at 150 yard pin and 145-155 yard deep green.

Doing a driver re-grip that may find its way to the irons if it works. Range today will let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 iron seems to have an issue. I’ll post updates after I inspect it more.

5f2ed0229d9154741c554dbe7b03127b.jpg
899d92837fe216c2a01450690a31dca2.jpg

5f2ed0229d9154741c554dbe7b03127b.jpg
899d92837fe216c2a01450690a31dca2.jpg

Wow....ferrule slipped up the shaft. Easy fix assuming the ferrule isn't broken. Bigger question is how/why it slid up.

Wow....ferrule slipped up the shaft. Easy fix assuming the ferrule isn't broken. Bigger question is how/why it slid up.

Yup I was very surprised it came loose. I tried hitting it on my final shot of the day and the result was absolutely horrible. Forgot it had come off earlier in the round. Only hit it twice before that final shot.

Yup I was very surprised it came loose. I tried hitting it on my final shot of the day and the result was absolutely horrible. Forgot it had come off earlier in the round. Only hit it twice before that final shot.

I assume the head isn't loose on the shaft too....?

When I took the M3 heads off the stock shafts they were pretty solid, so I can only assume this is a 1-off. Did you check the other ferrules?

Couple days late....but whatever.... The rain finally stopped long enough in the DFW area and I was able to play on Saturday and Monday. On Saturday, the course (Golf Club at the Resort) we played was still very damp -- balls in the fairway bounced once or twice and stopped, the rough was very thick and penalizing, however the greens rolled really well...which took a little time to get used to. By Monday, the course (Hawk's Creek) was dry enough that it played true to expectations. Winds were light on both days, which was very much appreciated since these were the first 2 full rounds I've played in like 3+ weeks.

So let's get into the M3 iron discussion. With the lack of play lately, my contact was very inconsistent and improved as I played...go figure. I've called attention to this previously and with the conditions such as they were it's worth calling out again -- the leading edge of the M3 irons work VERY WELL with wet fairways/rough. The front edge of the iron is slightly rounded, so it doesn't immediately dig into the turf. I'm more of a sweeper/picker of the ball so this aspect of the irons is ideal for me. While my contact wasn't pretty early on, shots held their line and didn't result in wild hooks or slices. So pulls were straight pulls and pushes just went right. By the middle of the 2nd round I was back in form and ended up making 3 birds over the final 12 holes.

I forgot how forgiving these irons are, but not playing much over the last 45-60 days and then getting out twice in 3 days served as a great reminder. I hit plenty of bad shots, but the help was still provided until I knocked the rust off...and then with the soft conditions and no wind I was able to hit a shot and know it would end up with a chance for birdie -- or at worst a 2 putt par. I have a big scramble coming up next Monday and I'm hoping to get out again this coming weekend. Still need to work on getting off the tee like I was before the "floods"....but that doesn't belong here.

That really sums it up perfectly. I find that I don’t have to try in order to get results. The irons just make them happen.

So I managed to play about 70 rounds this year. Most of them with these new M3 irons. Can't be any happier. I still say it's hard to make the ball move compared to other irons I've had. I normally hit a draw and still do a bit, but If I need to hit a fade or hook I'm SOL. Rarely matters, but definitely noticeable to me. Love everything else. Looks. And especially forgiveness. My miss is either a bit fat so pull left, or don't close the clubhead and hit it short right. All year I noticed I lose a lot less distance than I used to. Now a bad hit is a green side chip instead of a 40 yard pitch. Pics are of 4i (barely hit except off the tee) and the Pw, which is the club I use the most. My course just seems to have a lot of holes hitting from between 140 and 160. So hit the pw/9/8 the most, but pw seemingly more than the rest.

20181103_134537.jpg20181103_134544.jpg20181103_134558.jpg20181103_134606.jpg

So I managed to play about 70 rounds this year. Most of them with these new M3 irons. Can't be any happier. I still say it's hard to make the ball move compared to other irons I've had. I normally hit a draw and still do a bit, but If I need to hit a fade or hook I'm SOL. Rarely matters, but definitely noticeable to me. Love everything else. Looks. And especially forgiveness. My miss is either a bit fat so pull left, or don't close the clubhead and hit it short right. All year I noticed I lose a lot less distance than I used to. Now a bad hit is a green side chip instead of a 40 yard pitch. Pics are of 4i (barely hit except off the tee) and the Pw, which is the club I use the most. My course just seems to have a lot of holes hitting from between 140 and 160. So hit the pw/9/8 the most, but pw seemingly more than the rest.

View attachment 35761View attachment 35762View attachment 35763View attachment 35764
Wedge has some "character"...lol

Wedge has some "character"...lol

Lol, ya. In its defence, there are a lot of fairway “bunkers” right around the 150 range. And those bunkers are just beach sand from nearby, and loaded with rocks.

Just had a quick range session since I wanted to test these as I freeze my butt off. It was a lovely 46* here today (37* this morning). Was expecting a much firmer feel at contact but was pleasantly surprised at the fact that I wasn't hurting. I think I read that an added benefit of the face slots is that they help dampen vibrations a little and they definitely work.

Just had a quick range session since I wanted to test these as I freeze my butt off. It was a lovely 46* here today (37* this morning). Was expecting a much firmer feel at contact but was pleasantly surprised at the fact that I wasn't hurting. I think I read that an added benefit of the face slots is that they help dampen vibrations a little and they definitely work.
Add some Recoils and they are even softer...lol

Add some Recoils and they are even softer...lol

stevie-a, I saw your reply in the M4 irons thread about the M3 irons being way flat spec wise when you got them. I wanted to ask you about it because I'm really thinking the M3s are my next set of irons, but I didn't want to hijack that thread. Are you saying they came from TM way out of spec? Just want to have an idea of things to look out for if I get a set. Thanks!

stevie-a, I saw your reply in the M4 irons thread about the M3 irons being way flat spec wise when you got them. I wanted to ask you about it because I'm really thinking the M3s are my next set of irons, but I didn't want to hijack that thread. Are you saying they came from TM way out of spec? Just want to have an idea of things to look out for if I get a set. Thanks!

Both of us needed them to be more upright. Mine seemed perfectly normal though from TM. Came exactly as they said the numbers were online.

Mine were sent direct from TM (via THP...thanks again!!) and they were definitely flat. I didn't check the specs in relation to what TM sets the lie angles from the factory...so I'm not sure if they were flatter than they should have been as a stock set. That said, my prior TM set were bent 1-2* upright -- and some of my M3's had to be bent 3-5* upright.

I love my set and if you've read thru this thread, you can see how much I've enjoyed playing them...including a personal best -1 round with them! I did change the shafts in them, but that was more due to personal preference (aside from some ballooning) than a necessity.

If you have any other questions, please ask.

Mine were sent direct from TM (via THP...thanks again!!) and they were definitely flat. I didn't check the specs in relation to what TM sets the lie angles from the factory...so I'm not sure if they were flatter than they should have been as a stock set. That said, my prior TM set were bent 1-2* upright -- and some of my M3's had to be bent 3-5* upright.

I love my set and if you've read thru this thread, you can see how much I've enjoyed playing them...including a personal best -1 round with them! I did change the shafts in them, but that was more due to personal preference (aside from some ballooning) than a necessity.

If you have any other questions, please ask.

Thanks, the factory specs would be right for me, perhaps just a shade more upright. I would change shafts too. I'm currently playing TM SLDR with C Taper 120 and I like them very much. I think the M3 head would be similar in look but the tic stronger loft with slightly lower COG would suit me a little better. Mainly though, I think the sole would work better for me. I love the leading and trailing edge bevel.

Thanks, the factory specs would be right for me, perhaps just a shade more upright. I would change shafts too. I'm currently playing TM SLDR with C Taper 120 and I like them very much. I think the M3 head would be similar in look but the tic stronger loft with slightly lower COG would suit me a little better. Mainly though, I think the sole would work better for me. I love the leading and trailing edge bevel.

I had C Taper 130's in my Rocketbladez Tour irons and I really like them. The only reason I stopped gaming them was after being selected for a UST Mamiya / THP Shaft Up event and finding out how good Recoil Proto 125 shafts are... Obviously you can tell my love for the Recoils, as that is what I put in my M3 irons too.

The M3's are super straight and forgiving, so I think you'll enjoy them too. The leading edge bevel is definitely a plus...especially in wet/soggy conditions.

anybody able to comment on the KBS Max 85 shafts which come in these irons? I have a chance to buy a set at a good price but no experience of the shaft.

Currently playing JPX900 hot metal with the Recoil 95 F3 so I do like a shaft at the lighter end of the spectrum!

Great thread, enjoyed reading all the way through!

anybody able to comment on the KBS Max 85 shafts which come in these irons? I have a chance to buy a set at a good price but no experience of the shaft.

Currently playing JPX900 hot metal with the Recoil 95 F3 so I do like a shaft at the lighter end of the spectrum!

Great thread, enjoyed reading all the way through!
Mine came with stock True Temper XP100's and I pulled them for Proto Recoil 125 F4's....so can't help ya. That said, if you can get them at a good price, get them, you will not regret it. You can always pull them too!

Mine came with stock True Temper XP100's and I pulled them for Proto Recoil 125 F4's....so can't help ya. That said, if you can get them at a good price, get them, you will not regret it. You can always pull them too!

Ditto. I would probably have liked those shafts more than the XP100s.

Played early this morning (Black Friday) in some super tough, windy conditions. We normally get winds out of the south (typical) or the north (cold fronts) in the DFW area, but the 15-25mph winds today were out of the west making just about every hole a crosswind.

I haven't been playing as often lately, so my form wasn't the best today. That said, I found that the M3 irons / Proto Recoil combo works well in crosswinds, provided I did not overswing....the ol' "when it's breezy, swing easy" concept.

Flighting the ball is really easy and natural, something you might not expect from a "distance" iron that typically results in high shots that land softly.

I have been testing the M3 irons for right at 7 months now...and in the spirit of Thanksgiving, the holidays, etc., I thought it would only be proper to once again say thank you to THP ( @JB ) and Taylormade for this opportunity. I have obviously adopted these as my gamers and the results I have seen with them has been great -- from a consistency standpoint as well as from an overall performance standpoint. The 790's received all the buzz, but this set should not be overlooked.

As I commented in this thread recently, the weather here in the DFW area has been sketchy since late September. Couple that with family, work and holiday preparation, and my golf schedule went to **** the last 3 months. I've mixed in some good rounds with some bad ones, but through it all the ease of playing with the M3's kept me from getting frustrated. Hot or cold, windy or calm, dry or wet (more like flooded...) conditions -- the performance has pretty much been the same. Yesterday was absolutely perfect conditions...low 50's, very calm winds, not a cloud in the sky. With the lack of regular play, my focus was making a good swing and clean contact, in summary, avoid over-swinging or squatting/lifting at contact. From tee to green, this produced great results...unfortunately my putting killed me...

I post this today because it was a reminder of what made me adopt these as my gamers early on. I went back and read some of my initial comments and that resonated throughout: making a smooth, good swing produces great results with these irons.

I hope my feedback for the past 7 months has been helpful for those following along. It's been a lot of fun and I'm ready to get back into the groove to start 2019.

Back