TaylorMade Metal Woods - Morgan Cup Staff

Started on the range today with the driver in the closed position, 1* down. No go. Couldn't hit it up high enough. Went back to neutral and saw immediate improvement. Looks like that's going to be my set up with the driver.

Had pretty good success on the range with the 3w down 0.5*. I actually hit it higher for some reason. I think the corresponding opening of the face suits the chicken wing. The hybrid is also much better dialed down 1*. I think the opening of the face is what's helping me more than the change in loft.

Struggled with the driver early on. I'm trying to hit it too hard. When I backed off, tempo, tempo, tempo, things really improved. Looks like the driver is going to give me the 10-15 yards I was hoping to gain going into TMC. Need a little more consistency. It's going to get a big test tomorrow.

Kevin

Had great success with the woods today during my round. I was running late to the course so I got there with 5 minutes to spare and ran to the first tee. After 9 holes of warming up my round really started on 10 and thats where I started to get everything going. I GPS'ed every drive from 8 on, and the shortest was 265, with the average being about 270-275. I only hit the 3 wood once, but it was perfect, right down the middle about 240 which is all I'm looking for. The 4 hybrid I hit 5 times today and each time was just perfect, exactly what I wanted from it. I love this club, its versatile, long, and easy to hit. The 3 hybrid, I'm still struggling with, but thats all me. All in all it was a good day with the TaylorMade woods, and I'm just in love with the driver right now.

Had great success with the woods today during my round. I was running late to the course so I got there with 5 minutes to spare and ran to the first tee. After 9 holes of warming up my round really started on 10 and thats where I started to get everything going. I GPS'ed every drive from 8 on, and the shortest was 265, with the average being about 270-275. I only hit the 3 wood once, but it was perfect, right down the middle about 240 which is all I'm looking for. The 4 hybrid I hit 5 times today and each time was just perfect, exactly what I wanted from it. I love this club, its versatile, long, and easy to hit. The 3 hybrid, I'm still struggling with, but thats all me. All in all it was a good day with the TaylorMade woods, and I'm just in love with the driver right now.

Were you swinging smooth?

Kevin

Were you swinging smooth?

Kevin

I was swinging smooth and just remembering to swing with my body and arms connected. The sound and ball flight of the Superfast 2.0 is just intoxicating.

It's amazing how well they work when you let them do their thing.

Kevin

I totally agree with the "swing smooth" that Esox has been saying. While I still don't feel like I am hitting the driver as well as my last driver quite yet, I will say the ball flight is much more consistent. I either hit it perfectly straight or with a 5-10y fade. So it is winning me over. I'll give up even 20y to be in or close to the fw pretty much every time.

The 3w is also a great club, my only issue with it, is that I am hitting the 2h almost the same distance. I have way more confidence with the 2h, so I usually go that direction. Off the tee the 3w is money for anywhere I just need to bunt one 250.

All in all, I am getting used to the new woods and hybrids. Give me another week or 2 with them and I'll have them all dialed in.

RB

Tappin the keg!

I totally agree with the "swing smooth" that Esox has been saying. While I still don't feel like I am hitting the driver as well as my last driver quite yet, I will say the ball flight is much more consistent. I either hit it perfectly straight or with a 5-10y fade. So it is winning me over. I'll give up even 20y to be in or close to the fw pretty much every time.

The 3w is also a great club, my only issue with it, is that I am hitting the 2h almost the same distance. I have way more confidence with the 2h, so I usually go that direction. Off the tee the 3w is money for anywhere I just need to bunt one 250.

All in all, I am getting used to the new woods and hybrids. Give me another week or 2 with them and I'll have them all dialed in.

RB

Tappin the keg!

Good stuff RB, I too am loving the 2.0 driver and I"m seeing the same thing you are, a straight ball, or a 5-10 yard fade, and I'll take that all day. For me, its longer than my old driver, and I think its only going to get longer for me as I get used to it. The 3 wood is money for me, and while I don't use it often, when I need to lay up off the tee, 3 wood all day baby.

Time to say it again. Tempo, tempo, tempo, tempo. I hit some really nice shots today with the driver. Set at 9.5* with the sole plate at neutral and the weights standard. I'm done trying to hit it harder. I'm going play set like this, swing smoothly, and the distance is what it is, which seems to be about 10-15 yards farther than the Diablo Edge I had been playing. It rolls out to more than that on firm fairways.

Anybody feel the need to get the grip straightened after changing the setting? Doesn't really bother me, but it looks a little different.

Kevin

After playing a quick 9 holes today, and then a long range session I am blown away with the Burner 2.0. Now that I have my setup figured out and some time with this driver, it is flat out the best driver I have ever hit, PERIOD!

After playing a quick 9 holes today, and then a long range session I am blown away with the Burner 2.0. Now that I have my setup figured out and some time with this driver, it is flat out the best driver I have ever hit, PERIOD!

That's awesome CB! Glad that it's working well for you.

Just hit a large bucket at the range at lunch, only hitting the driver and 3w. I changed the 3w to STD loft, and face angle to closed. The result was a nice high draw. Perfect and exactly what I am used to.

The driver is still a bit of a mystery, nice smooth swing get me about a 10-15y fade, when i swing hard , it goes straight. I really think it has to do with ball position though. The range I was in is total crap, so hard to get a nice even stance.

I'll be playing again tonight and u hope to hit the d well.

Tappin the keg!

Was working on shortening the swing with the 4 Rescue and trying to not get past parallel and pointing right of target as well as tempo. You'll notice the progression to the last swing in the sequence.

I'm really liking this club and being able to consistently hit the fairways when I pull it out of the bag.

Nice looking swing Biggsy, looks like the ball took off on a beautiful flight on that last one.

Nice video Biggsy. I was having some real issues with the Rescue yesterday and am about to go to the range for some practice. I think I was getting a little long with the swing as well. Going to work on shortening and putting a nice, smooth swing on it. Nice swing though, man!

nice swings biggsy!

Nice video Biggsy. I was having some real issues with the Rescue yesterday and am about to go to the range for some practice. I think I was getting a little long with the swing as well. Going to work on shortening and putting a nice, smooth swing on it. Nice swing though, man!
Thanks Double D, I'm just finding with the 3 wood and the Rescues that you don't need to create all this head speed. I think the clubs work better with a better tempo, shorter swing and just let the club do the work. It's something I've struggled with and continue to work on.

Someone found a very nice nice hybrid swing! Good job biggsy.

For a minute I thought cg13 had came down to practice with you, then I realized it was just in slow motion.

Thanks Double D, I'm just finding with the 3 wood and the Rescues that you don't need to create all this head speed. I think the clubs work better with a better tempo, shorter swing and just let the club do the work. It's something I've struggled with and continue to work on.

I agree 100% man. I basically figured out how to hit the 3 wood yesterday. I had been struggling and then I just took a nice tempo'd swing and hit the perfect shot. The sound was great and the ball flight was a mid-high trajectory.

That shortened swing looked so nice Biggsy! Looked like it also had better tempo, and the ball flight looked great.

I had a long range session today, and spent about half my time with the Woods today, the other half with the wedges. Here are some quick thoughts on what I'm seeing from the individual woods after today.

Burner Superfast 2.0 Driver: I'm killing this thing, like I've never hit another driver before. It had me worried for about a week and a half and took some time to get adjusted to, but now that I have, I'm just killing the ball. The Superfast 2.0 is incredibly forgiving, has a great sound, and have I mentioned that its long, I mean crazy long? The Matrix HD6 shaft is just so nice and I really just couldn't be happier with the driver for the Morgan Cup.

Burner Superfast 2.0 3 Wood: Off the tee this bad boy is almost as long as my old driver, but today I was practicing with it off the deck which is something I don't do with 3 woods, and I was hitting them well. Probably about 15 yards from the look of it shorter off the fairway than the tee at this point, but I've never really been able to do that before. MOre practice is needed with this shot, but I"m really happy right now with the 3 wood.

Rescue 11 3 and 4 hybrids: The 4 hybrid is great, plain and simple, so today I spent a lot of time with the 3 hybrid, and I'm really starting to get it down with him. Off the tee the 3 hybrid is just a fairway finding missile, but I really would also like it as (possibly) my longest club off the fairway. Really good start with him today.

I have to say thank you again to TaylorMade, THP, and Reunion resort for this wonderful event.

Someone found a very nice nice hybrid swing! Good job biggsy.

For a minute I thought cg13 had came down to practice with you, then I realized it was just in slow motion.
Thanks bro, that's too funny. We have to get out soon!

Did you get some time off in August so you can come up and join the fun? :D

That's awesome CB. What kind of ball flight are you seeing with the driver?

That sounds exceptional CB! Have you adjusted the lofts on the hybrids? Just curious what kind of gap distances you are seeing. I'm still trying to figure out just how far I am hitting the 2 and 4.

That's awesome CB. What kind of ball flight are you seeing with the driver?

Thanks man. I'm seeing a mid high ball flight I would say. The 10.5* low spin head combined with the mid launch low spin HD6 shaft just creates a ball that starts mid ball flight and just climbs and climbs and climbs but never comes close to balloning. Just crazy long man.

That sounds exceptional CB! Have you adjusted the lofts on the hybrids? Just curious what kind of gap distances you are seeing. I'm still trying to figure out just how far I am hitting the 2 and 4.

Thanks Biggsy. Yes I've played with the lofts quite a bit and I've settled on "higher" for both the hybrids. They say this increses the loft by a degree and adds 500 rpm and on this setting I really love the ball flight and distance I am seeing. Right now, the 4 hybrid is my 190 carry club, and the 3 hybrid is my 205 carry club based on what I"m seeing on the range.

Nice CB, I may have to give this driver another try someday. I had some issues with it with the open face and my miss being right. Keep it up though man, sounds like you are killing it!

Thanks Biggsy. Yes I've played with the lofts quite a bit and I've settled on "higher" for both the hybrids. They say this increses the loft by a degree and adds 500 rpm and on this setting I really love the ball flight and distance I am seeing. Right now, the 4 hybrid is my 190 carry club, and the 3 hybrid is my 205 carry club based on what I"m seeing on the range.
Thanks. Good stuff man! That's about the only setting I haven't adjusted on these new woods. I've left the hybrids alone. I'll start tinkering with them once I know my gaps. I've really just tried to getting used to hitting them and have not had to worry about distance, just accuracy. It's about time to get the distances down.

So, Am I correct in assuming you got a little higher ball flight and not much roll out of it. Just all carry?

Back