TaylorMade Metal Woods - Morgan Cup Staff

We've commiserated about such holes before.

After saying tempo was important for the last week, instead I went out and stepped on it the whole day. I wanted to see what I could get away with. I forgot to mention I hit three drives each on the two of the last three holes. Free swinging, more compact, and one with my hands a little lower but loaded earlier in the swing. The latter showed real promise, and jumped off the club face nicely.

But they weren't 270+.

Kevin

I know you want to get the ball out there, but at the course length you are going to be playing, there isn't much need for more than 240-250. Sure, there will be some folks hitting it farther, but will their wedge game be enough to capitalize on the distance? Play your game and play it well :)

I know you want to get the ball out there, but at the course length you are going to be playing, there isn't much need for more than 240-250. Sure, there will be some folks hitting it farther, but will their wedge game be enough to capitalize on the distance? Play your game and play it well :)

I understand, but the Nicklaus track is going to leave me with too many 5i and 6i approaches with 240 off the tee. I'm trying to find a middle ground that puts 8 irons and 9 irons in my hands. Wedges would be better. I'm sad mine didn't arrive today. What am I? A Canadian?

Kevin

I understand, but the Nicklaus track is going to leave me with too many 5i and 6i approaches with 240 off the tee. I'm trying to find a middle ground that puts 8 irons and 9 irons in my hands. Wedges would be better. I'm sad mine didn't arrive today. What am I? A Canadian?

Kevin

Not in spirit, but in location you are probably confusing the FedEx guy.

I hear you on the 5/6 approaches. I struggle with that as well. In that case you are probably making a good decision to work on pushing it when you need to.

Kevin

That hurts, especially on Canada day! Time for me to get ooooout, eh.

Went to the range today with just my burner superfast 2.0 driver with Matrix Ozik HD6 shaft. It was just a large bucket of 90 balls, my driver, and open range, and lets find the perfect setup for this badboy. This driver has been in my head a little bit lately and I just wanted to get all that worked out. I've been hitting it pretty well, but we haven't had a lot of range time together, and the open face plus the toe weighting was in my head a little bit. I just wanted to find the perfect set up, and ball placement for this driver to give me the best results and I found it. I'm now playing the ball a little further back in my stance than I have been, and a little further away from me. From there I just put a nice smooth swing on the ball, and I was hitting 250 yard carry balls all day long on the range. The sound of the 2.0 is very different from the R9 that I'm coming from but I really like it. I'm not able to really describe it yet, its louder for sure, and maybe a little more tinny?, but also sounds hotter, like you really just hit the nuts out of that one. I can't really say enough about the HD6 shaft. I don't know if I've mentioned it or not yet, but like Biggsy I had ordered my driver with the PX 6.0 driver shaft, but because it was unavaliable we had to change shafts on the fly, and after discussing it with Biggsy, Belbin, and Cap'n TC, I decided to go with the Matrix Ozik HD6, and I couldn't be happier with the decision. The feel is great, the launch angle I am getting suits my eye perfectly, and it holds up to any amount of force my swing can put on it. I like to swing smoothly, but if I feel I want to go after it this shaft holds up with no issues whatsoever. That is all for now, but I'm much more confident in this driver now after spending an afternoon with it, and I couldn't be happier right now.

It seems your starting to get that 2.0 dialed in which is great news

Tap tap taparoo

I didn't hit 90 balls like coolbreeze, but I did spend some time at the range this evening working on my R11 driver, as I was having trouble with snap hooks in my first round with the club. I definitely had more success with that club tonight by focusing on making smoother swings. As you can see below, I was definitely finding the sweet spot at the end of my range session!

aefc2a44-ba7c-7b55.jpg

Sent from Tapatalk

Last edited:
Nice work Ary!

Nice work Ary!

That's one thing I love about the dark faces on the Taylormade metal woods paired up with crappy old range balls: instant feedback on where the ball was hit on the club face! Of course, there's a lot that I don't like about crappy old range balls, but that's another story.

Of course, there's a lot that I don't like about crappy old range balls, but that's another story.
Like marks on the face...permanent ones.

Good range session Ary. You can't get much more sweeter than that!

Nice session CB. I'm starting to come around to the HD7 myself.

That was a serious compliment on your 300 yard shot the other day. I was bombing it!

Cool write-up Kevin.

I know lol, thanks man! I've hit the longest drives of my life with the 2.0, but when I looked at the GPS and the number started with a 3## I almost wet myself a little.

I know lol, thanks man! I've hit the longest drives of my life with the 2.0, but when I looked at the GPS and the number started with a 3## I almost wet myself a little.

Nothing like seeing a 3 in front of your drive. Glad the 2.0 is working. One thing I liked about it was the improvement of the sound over the SF.

Nothing like seeing a 3 in front of your drive. Glad the 2.0 is working. One thing I liked about it was the improvement of the sound over the SF.

Agreed, actually I think everything about it is better. Last year I owned, a R9 460, then a SuperTri, and then an R9, but never the Superfast because I just couldn't hit it. The Superfast 2.0 is a whole different beast for me anyway.

Went to the range today with just my burner superfast 2.0 driver with Matrix Ozik HD6 shaft. It was just a large bucket of 90 balls, my driver, and open range, and lets find the perfect setup for this badboy. This driver has been in my head a little bit lately and I just wanted to get all that worked out. I've been hitting it pretty well, but we haven't had a lot of range time together, and the open face plus the toe weighting was in my head a little bit. I just wanted to find the perfect set up, and ball placement for this driver to give me the best results and I found it. I'm now playing the ball a little further back in my stance than I have been, and a little further away from me. From there I just put a nice smooth swing on the ball, and I was hitting 250 yard carry balls all day long on the range. The sound of the 2.0 is very different from the R9 that I'm coming from but I really like it. I'm not able to really describe it yet, its louder for sure, and maybe a little more tinny?, but also sounds hotter, like you really just hit the nuts out of that one. I can't really say enough about the HD6 shaft. I don't know if I've mentioned it or not yet, but like Biggsy I had ordered my driver with the PX 6.0 driver shaft, but because it was unavaliable we had to change shafts on the fly, and after discussing it with Biggsy, Belbin, and Cap'n TC, I decided to go with the Matrix Ozik HD6, and I couldn't be happier with the decision. The feel is great, the launch angle I am getting suits my eye perfectly, and it holds up to any amount of force my swing can put on it. I like to swing smoothly, but if I feel I want to go after it this shaft holds up with no issues whatsoever. That is all for now, but I'm much more confident in this driver now after spending an afternoon with it, and I couldn't be happier right now.

I didn't hit 90 balls like coolbreeze, but I did spend some time at the range this evening working on my R11 driver, as I was having trouble with snap hooks in my first round with the club. I definitely had more success with that club tonight by focusing on making smoother swings. As you can see below, I was definitely finding the sweet spot at the end of my range session!

aefc2a44-ba7c-7b55.jpg

Sent from Tapatalk

Anybody noticing a pattern with the Eggs? Ask Rbelbin, too.

Tempo, tempo, tempo. Did I mention tempo? Every single one of us chose a shaft that should be close to perfect for our swing. Let the equipment do the work for you.

Now I need to take my own advice. After my last session of wailing away I need to back down until I find the tempo zone. But unlike coolbreeze, I'm not going to settle for 250 yards of carry.

I'm looking for 252.

Kevin

Anybody noticing a pattern with the Eggs? Ask Rbelbin, too.

Tempo, tempo, tempo. Did I mention tempo? Every single one of us chose a shaft that should be close to perfect for our swing. Let the equipment do the work for you.

Now I need to take my own advice. After my last session of wailing away I need to back down until I find the tempo zone. But unlike coolbreeze, I'm not going to settle for 250 yards of carry.

I'm looking for 252.

Kevin

Thats the spirit, 252 is crazy long.

aefc2a44-ba7c-7b55.jpg

Sent from Tapatalk

that's some consistent contact right there!

that's some consistent contact right there!

Sure is, I have a magic eraser that I use too, to make it look like I only hit the sweet spot.

Thats the spirit, 252 is crazy long.

I know, right? Way out there. lol. I'm also hoping for 52 yards of roll for a 304 total. Last night at 2:00 am I reset the eggs. Lowered the loft and opened the face on the hybrid 1*, lowered the loft and opened the face 0.5* on the 3W, and changed the sole plat to closed on the big egg.

Tinkering with R11s is fun. Like pounding on Team Hackerers.

Kevin

When are you guys getting the irons?

I know, right? Way out there. lol. I'm also hoping for 52 yards of roll for a 304 total. Last night at 2:00 am I reset the eggs. Lowered the loft and opened the face on the hybrid 1*, lowered the loft and opened the face 0.5* on the 3W, and changed the sole plat to closed on the big egg.

Tinkering with R11s is funn. Like pounding on Team Hackerers.

Kevin

Thats some fine Tinkering there, interested to find out how it works for you. I've set both my hybrids to Higher, which is supposed to increase the loft by 1* and increase the RPM's by 500, and thats where I think they are going to stay. I love the 4 hybrid off the deck and the tee, the 3 hybrid right now, is great off the tee, but I'm hitting low stingers with it off the fairway, it needs some more time to get used to him. Hoping to play 18 today and see if what I worked on with the "Big Egg" can transfer over to the course. Playing golf is fun.

When are you guys getting the irons?

That's information we don't have. Soon, hopefully.

Thats some fine Tinkering there, interested to find out how it works for you. I've set both my hybrids to Higher, which is supposed to increase the loft by 1* and increase the RPM's by 500, and thats where I think they are going to stay. I love the 4 hybrid off the deck and the tee, the 3 hybrid right now, is great off the tee, but I'm hitting low stingers with it off the fairway, it needs some more time to get used to him. Hoping to play 18 today and see if what I worked on with the "Big Egg" can transfer over to the course. Playing golf is fun.

It is fun. Very fun.

Kevin

Sure is, I have a magic eraser that I use too, to make it look like I only hit the sweet spot.

Full disclosure: I wipe off the face after every few swings when I'm on the range to be able to figure out where the contact is at on the face. However, the picture above was taken after my last 2 swings of the night, no lie. I put the driver away after that, I couldn't really improve on the contact at that point!

I just played 36 today and have success with the new woods. I am LOVING my driver with the RIP shaft. I am finding fairways or just out off of it, instead of punching out of the woods like I used to. I played several shots with the Rescue 11 today as well and am really starting to like that club. It's fairly straight off of the tee and easy to hit off of the turf when I remember "tempo". I made sure I said tempo when I got set over the ball today and it really seemed to help. I wasn't thinking about the 50 other things I normally do.

I hope to get in a good range session tomorrow followed by 18 and keep on dialing in these clubs. I still have some work to do with the 3w. For some reason I am having issues hitting it off the tee, which is something I used to do quite often when the driver was acting up.

Back