TaylorMade MG2 Wedges

Played these without the rust for the first month and a half... then decided to speed up the process.

Love the look of it at address!!! In this short time they’re my favorite wedges already of all time
23099c65a2682f0d83828d655b2add6e.jpg
0807805178998b9f0ee8e0f77a7ca5b5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Love love love that look.

Love love love that look.

Love how the face looks rusted, yet the back of the club still have the clean look

Love how the face looks rusted, yet the back of the club still have the clean look
Same.

Need to let my black ones have the rust treatment tonight.

Same.

The black are so clean looking and I love how it looks over mine... Pga store released these 3 weeks early by me and all they had were chrome. I couldn't contain myself and wait lol. Had to get them right away!

So I tried to order Chrome heads but they were backordered. Black 52 (standard) and 58 (low bounce) are inbound for some testing. Pairing them up with $-taper shafts. These will do a head to head with my incoming Jaws Wedges.

Same.

did you give them the treatment? I'd probably lean black finish on these, but man I wish they were all raw.

Still anxiously awaiting the arrival of these. The more I look at photos the more I like the look of them.

Still anxiously awaiting the arrival of these. The more I look at photos the more I like the look of them.

the looks alone are what sold me to immediately upgrade over my rtx4's.... the performance has been incredible also. Wait until they rust!!!!

did you give them the treatment? I'd probably lean black finish on these, but man I wish they were all raw.
Not yet, need to get on that but my current spray bottle went kaput.

Not yet, need to get on that but my current spray bottle went kaput.

Ollie have a squirt gun you can borrow?

Ollie have a squirt gun you can borrow?
More like Maggie, she’s on the path to being a mob boss when she grows up.:oops:

More like Maggie, she’s on the path to being a mob boss when she grows up.:oops:

I'd watch yourself if you are going to take her stuff.

Went out wedge shopping today and brought home the TM MG2 58* wedge 11* bounce. I was having issues with my K grind, so I went and compared SM7 K grind, CBX2 wedge, MD5 and a PM grind 19.
Since I had the original CBX, this should have made the cut. Not so. It was big, had an different sound when hit square, just didn't elevate the ball much.
The MD5 was just OK. Again like the CBX just didn't elevate the ball quick enough.
I took one swing with the PM grind, just didn't care for the looks and had difficulty aiming the ball.
The SM7 K grind was harsh feeling. Looked good, sounded good, just didn't deliver overall performance in terms of feel. It got the ball up, but it was a mid trajectory.
The MG2 not only got the ball up quickly but felt great while doing it. Around the greens, I could choke way down to chip and it was almost putter like in the aim, excellent !!
I never had a club where the face gets rusty on purpose, but it shouldn't mess up the looks that much.

This is one excellent wedge. It has the right feel, sound and does things that I want it to do. It's in the bag!

Went out wedge shopping today and brought home the TM MG2 58* wedge 11* bounce. I was having issues with my K grind, so I went and compared SM7 K grind, CBX2 wedge, MD5 and a PM grind 19.
Since I had the original CBX, this should have made the cut. Not so. It was big, had an different sound when hit square, just didn't elevate the ball much.
The MD5 was just OK. Again like the CBX just didn't elevate the ball quick enough.
I took one swing with the PM grind, just didn't care for the looks and had difficulty aiming the ball.
The SM7 K grind was harsh feeling. Looked good, sounded good, just didn't deliver overall performance in terms of feel. It got the ball up, but it was a mid trajectory.
The MG2 not only got the ball up quickly but felt great while doing it. Around the greens, I could choke way down to chip and it was almost putter like in the aim, excellent !!
I never had a club where the face gets rusty on purpose, but it shouldn't mess up the looks that much.

This is one excellent wedge. It has the right feel, sound and does things that I want it to do. It's in the bag!
The CBX2 didn’t elevate? That’s shocking since that’s literally what it’s design. The profile at setup now is also definitely smaller than the first CBX.

As to the MG2 they’re probably the best club in TM’s lineup right now. Rumor is the TW grind is going to be released this year as well.

The CBX2 didn’t elevate? That’s shocking since that’s literally what it’s design. The profile at setup now is also definitely smaller than the first CBX.

As to the MG2 they’re probably the best club in TM’s lineup right now. Rumor is the TW grind is going to be released this year as well.
I had the original CBX with a shaft upgrade to Aerotech 95i, and it performed OK away from the green. What I didn't get with the CBX2 is a chance to open the club up or use it for shots around the fringe because of the size of the face and the sole was just too thick. I wanted something more than a good wedge from 25-40 yards from the green with my 58*. When I say it didn't elevate, it got the ball up, but no where near the quickness of the MG2. It also didn't have that nice click(to me) that the MG2 had. The MG2 was a more versatile club than the CBX2. This is the only bit of TM I have in my bag so certainly I'm not what you consider a TM fanboy. The MG2 worked extremely well for me and the shots that I wanted to produce.
I'll look at the TW grind when it becomes available, but in my case, just because it says TW doesn't mean it will produce the same shots in my hands!:)

I had the original CBX with a shaft upgrade to Aerotech 95i, and it performed OK away from the green. What I didn't get with the CBX2 is a chance to open the club up or use it for shots around the fringe because of the size of the face and the sole was just too thick. I wanted something more than a good wedge from 25-40 yards from the green with my 58*. When I say it didn't elevate, it got the ball up, but no where near the quickness of the MG2. It also didn't have that nice click(to me) that the MG2 had. The MG2 was a more versatile club than the CBX2. This is the only bit of TM I have in my bag so certainly I'm not what you consider a TM fanboy. The MG2 worked extremely well for me and the shots that I wanted to produce.
I'll look at the TW grind when it becomes available, but in my case, just because it says TW doesn't mean it will produce the same shots in my hands!:)
Fwiw, the actual size of the face on those isn't really any different than the CBX4. Sole, yes, face, no. They're not meant for max versatility so its no wonder opening them is an issue for you, thats why they created the new Full Face with a super aggressive C-Grind on it in the lob lofts.

No wonder the MG2 was more versatile, as a bladed wedge, it should be. ;)

@Jman, do you feel that the FF grind is versatile enough to execute the open face touch shots?

Fwiw, the actual size of the face on those isn't really any different than the CBX4. Sole, yes, face, no. They're not meant for max versatility so its no wonder opening them is an issue for you, thats why they created the new Full Face with a super aggressive C-Grind on it in the lob lofts.

No wonder the MG2 was more versatile, as a bladed wedge, it should be. ;)
You would probably know more about the face sizes than I do, that said, this is not a slam on the CBX2, heck I played the original and like the performance until I tried to do certain things and couldn't. Since I play 5 wedges, each one I pick does something I have in mind. I seldom take a full swing with a wedge (other than a PW), so each one has to perform differently in height, distance and spin. The CBX2 was just not in my wheelhouse, but that doesn't mean it's not a good wedge for some.

You would probably know more about the face sizes than I do, that said, this is not a slam on the CBX2, heck I played the original and like the performance until I tried to do certain things and couldn't. Since I play 5 wedges, each one I pick does something I have in mind. I seldom take a full swing with a wedge (other than a PW), so each one has to perform differently in height, distance and spin. The CBX2 was just not in my wheelhouse, but that doesn't mean it's not a good wedge for some.
I totally get it, and that was my big critique on the CBX and CBX2, in the higher lofts they just aren't as versatile as I need them to be (I'm a big manipulator of the club face), the Full Face though did address that, IF you can look down at a high toe full face grooved wedge.

The MD2's are criminally underrated. If I could get the black finish in a 48, I'd move back to them.

After about 6 rounds here in Florida, this wedge still doesn't disappoint. Wish I had these types of playing conditions in Tennessee.

One thing though, this club has the face that is supposed to rust, dont mind the look, but I wonder how much good it does?

Is the black finish on these similar to the jet black on the sm7, ie easy to remove?

Back