TaylorMade MG2 Wedges

I don't know why I can't find a/the thread for these. Searching taylormade/taylormade wedges in the thread titles of this forum it doesn't come up, and I swear there was a different or more current thread at some point..

anyway..

These are my favorite wedges. I'd played just about everything this last year, and have some custom jaws coming that will compete, but these move from bag to bag because they're freaking great. They deserve a highlight reel for how often they put me on the pin. I love the feel with the balls I use, the sole profile suits me perfectly, and I can do just about anything with them. Absolutely love them.

Last edited:
I don't know why I can't find a/the thread for these. Searching taylormade/taylormade wedges in the thread titles of this forum it doesn't come up, and I swear there was a release thread at some point..

anyway..

These are my favorite wedges. I'd played just about everything this last year, and have some custom jaws coming that will compete, but these move from bag to bag because they're freaking great. They deserve a highlight reel for how often they put me on the pin. I love the feel with the balls I use, the sole profile suits me perfectly, and I can do just about anything with them. Absolutely love them.
That’s high praise. My memory was that you were pretty attached to the Ping Glide 3s. What is your grind setup?

That’s high praise. My memory was that you were pretty attached to the Ping Glide 3s. What is your grind setup?
I loved the glides when I was playing irons that led into them better. I still think they're great, and totally underappreciated. It's awesome how many guys on the leaderboards have them in the bag each week.

With these I play the 56 SB-12 bent to 54, and the 60 LB-08 bent to 58. I love the feel and the soles. I don't love how much mass they moved low on the SM8. I like my 7's better. These suit my irons better as a transition and I think they really shine on the turf here on partials and around the greens in the bermuda.

Here are a few inside of 3' from today, but I put another few full to partials within 5', and have been getting up and down and holing greenside/from bunkers at a ridiculous rate. I really like them.

And a few from a couple days ago, first one was 2", second rode that ridge like a champ, and holed the bunker shot from above my feet on a downslope.

Like I said, they really do deserve their own highlight reel. The versatility for me is off the charts. Greenside is near automatic.

Got the 52* and 60* with the 56* on the way in black. Seems like the MG2 is getting some love. I’m looking forward to getting them out there.

I loved the glides when I was playing irons that led into them better. I still think they're great, and totally underappreciated. It's awesome how many guys on the leaderboards have them in the bag each week.

With these I play the 56 SB-12 bent to 54, and the 60 LB-08 bent to 58. I love the feel and the soles. I don't love how much mass they moved low on the SM8. I like my 7's better. These suit my irons better as a transition and I think they really shine on the turf here on partials and around the greens in the bermuda.

Here are a few inside of 3' from today, but I put another few full to partials within 5', and have been getting up and down and holing greenside/from bunkers at a ridiculous rate. I really like them.

And a few from a couple days ago, first one was 2", second rode that ridge like a champ, and holed the bunker shot from above my feet on a downslope.

Like I said, they really do deserve their own highlight reel. The versatility for me is off the charts. Greenside is near automatic.

If I were playing bermuda for most of my golf, I have no doubt that my wedge setup would be different.

If I were playing bermuda for most of my golf, I have no doubt that my wedge setup would be different.
I definitely felt the need to change some things when I moved here. Pretty much everything really, even ball, and I started making the changes while I was still live back home based on playing here a few times. These have proven to be the most versatile for me lately though home and away.

I definitely felt the need to change some things when I moved here. Pretty much everything really, even ball, and I started making the changes while I was still live back home based on playing here a few times. These have proven to be the most versatile for me lately though home and away.
Is the reason that you bent a 60 to 58 was to get the bounce even lower?

Is the reason that you bent a 60 to 58 was to get the bounce even lower?
Partly. Lowers bounce and changes the way the stock sole shape interacts in a trail relief-ish kind of way. As much as I'm opposed to moving irons much strong, I reverse a bit in wedges. That one works well for me in bunkers and as a different option than my 54. I also take full shots with it sometimes, and I think diminishing returns can start showing up the further from 56 you get. The dynamics of distance vs. flight vs. spin get a little delicate on full shots imo. My highest lofted is usually a 58. So call them kind of a 54/10/S-F, and a 58/06/C-ish lol

Picked up a 54* to try with my new wedge gapping in black, can't wait to check it out in person, love the milling work on these.

Picked up a 54* to try with my new wedge gapping in black, can't wait to check it out in person, love the milling work on these.
An mg2 or a 3?

Also, crazy old thread bump! and the swing throwback videos of mine have me lol'ing.

An mg2 or a 3?

Also, crazy old thread bump! and the swing throwback videos of mine have me lol'ing.
MG2, sometimes I'm late to the game! But found a good deal to finish out the gaps

MG2, sometimes I'm late to the game! But found a good deal to finish out the gaps
Right on. I kinda forgot how much I liked these. Makes sense I like the new ones too I guess. These actually have a little softer feel than the new ones. If you don't love your ball acoustics, the new ones really let you know.

Back