TaylorMade P•790 Irons & UDI Preview

played 13 holes...played some extra irons shots...the quick reaction is i love these. i didn't miss a beat. distance and feel is there...maybe a little clicky but that doesn't bother me. guess i should try and get on the sim and see what the numbers are at some point.

Distance the same as the previous gen?

Distance the same as the previous gen?

Didn't play the previous but based off the two fittings I had, it's a bit better. I won't know how much better till I get on a sim...

Tried these as I really haven’t given any of the previous iterations a good look or try. This version is hands down the best looking of the 3. Took about 10 swings and was consistently carrying 193-194yrd and about 5100rpm with a 7iron. Launch between 17-19deg. I was scared of those fliers/jumpers everyone spoke about with the previous lines but didn’t see any really! Not a soft irons by any means but not a Terrible feeling one either. Didn’t feel/hear that click like I did with the P770’s. Denser/firmer feel. If this was the category of iron you like then I feel these should tick alot of boxes in that regard.

I hit these today at the Taylormade launch event with Recoil shafts.

Wow, what a nice set of irons!

Had these in a rental set yesterday and it’s my first time trying them. They are fantastic on toe misses. Was really impressed with these irons. Kinda has me wondering.

Had these in a rental set yesterday and it’s my first time trying them. They are fantastic on toe misses. Was really impressed with these irons. Kinda has me wondering.

I am pretty sure I’m going in the 2021 P790 direction with 105 S MMT shafts. I am a high ball hitter. Of course i know it’s swing flaw related but is what it is. I don’t need a ton of spin as my decent angle is always around 50°.

after getting fit I was seeing my 7i ball speeds around 118-121. Spin around 5000-5500 and decent angle at 51°. Launch was 22-24° Should have no problem holding greens with that. Carry was 171.

the caveat is we tried the standard loft P790 and 2° strong. Of course 2° gave me a few more yards but the stats above are with the 2° strong.

THE question I have is will there be a negative effect with turf interaction with the P790 strengthened 2°? Or will it be unnoticeable?

thanks

I am pretty sure I’m going in the 2021 P790 direction with 105 S MMT shafts. I am a high ball hitter. Of course i know it’s swing flaw related but is what it is. I don’t need a ton of spin as my decent angle is always around 50°.

after getting fit I was seeing my 7i ball speeds around 118-121. Spin around 5000-5500 and decent angle at 51°. Launch was 22-24° Should have no problem holding greens with that. Carry was 171.

the caveat is we tried the standard loft P790 and 2° strong. Of course 2° gave me a few more yards but the stats above are with the 2° strong.

THE question I have is will there be a negative effect with turf interaction with the P790 strengthened 2°? Or will it be unnoticeable?

thanks
It’s hard to say for certain. Stronger loft gives you less bounce. If you’re used to taking large divots then it might be an adjustment for you. If you tend to pick the ball off the turf then you probably won’t notice much of a difference

It’s hard to say for certain. Stronger loft gives you less bounce. If you’re used to taking large divots then it might be an adjustment for you. If you tend to pick the ball off the turf then you probably won’t notice much of a difference

Thin shots are my miss, so shouldn’t be a big deal?

Thin shots are my miss, so shouldn’t be a big deal?
If my thoughts are organized correctly then you shouldn’t need to worry. You may notice you’re hitting more fat shots in the beginning. I wouldn’t think too hard about it though. You’ll adjust and if you hit them good in the fitting there’s no reason to think you’ll hit them poorly on the course

If my thoughts are organized correctly then you shouldn’t need to worry. You may notice you’re hitting more fat shots in the beginning. I wouldn’t think too hard about it though. You’ll adjust and if you hit them good in the fitting there’s no reason to think you’ll hit them poorly on the course

Thank you. It’s always my fear from a turf/indoor fitting vs outside/natural grass

Back