TaylorMade P•790 Irons & UDI Preview

Nice write up James. Are you going to be reviewing/testing these in the near future? Just watched the txg video and looked/sounded like the feel(sound) of the gen 3’s have improved. I definitely think they look better

I think the looks are an improvement. Not a spin profile I can play though I’m sure they will sell well.

20210810_110015.jpg20210810_110227.jpg

Some interesting differences in the 7i. Hard to get good angles on the fitting heads. Wanted to show the bevel on the old top compared to the new though. One on the right is 1* flatter, but the new one does seem to have a slightly higher toe/face when looking at them over the ball too. Topline might be thinner on new one, but again more square. Looks maybe slightly wider to the eye looking down on it.

20210810_111655.jpg

This is what I was talking about with the top line being boxier on the UDI. It's definitely more square.

20210810_112205.jpg

Changed the camber on the UDI a little to my eye too. Less bounce, more camber. Looks cleaner. Like the trail edge. Not swinging today or I'd put some thumps on it.

Last edited:
My wife demoed them and the P770's before settling on the Apex. The top lines were just a bit too thick for her taste. They still flew for her and good distance, but the lofts of the Apex combined with flash face seemed to work better for her GIR. I see they re-engineered the foam but I wonder with the tec emerging from other companies how moving around the tungsten weighting and using a new foam formula will change the performance drastically. I have a friend with P790's who was considering going to a tec-forged iron like the Apex but was waiting to see how the new P790's compare.

I was fit into the previous version but never pulled the trigger. Will give these a look next time in the market.

Although I hate the reused name - I almost skipped this thread thinking it was about the previous version…

Reactions: MH
Really like cleaner look! I've never hit any version of the P790 but knowing the sound/feel wasn't a shining point for them, I went with the Forged Tecs last year on that point alone. Doesn't seem to bother the standard consumer though. Wonder how much the new materials change that for people

I definitely like the look of the newer lineup compared to my '19s. I don't think there's enough in there to make someone with the 19s upgrade though, but I've had every set of Apex so what do I know?!? :LOL: If they've improved on the feel, I think they'd maybe have something here? Playing the 19s I've had no issues stopping any golf ball on the green, but a lot of that has to do with the fact that they launch crazy high. I'm sure these will be quite popular with the Taylormade faithful.

Nice write up James. Are you going to be reviewing/testing these in the near future? Just watched the txg video and looked/sounded like the feel(sound) of the gen 3’s have improved. I definitely think they look better
Hopefully we get a set in hand!

I was fit into the previous version but never pulled the trigger. Will give these a look next time in the market.

Although I hate the reused name - I almost skipped this thread thinking it was about the previous version…
Right? They’ve hit the confusing point in the naming conventions to be sure.

Thanks for the writeup @Jman! Not really liking the thicker top-line on the new version, but everything else about them seems like an improvment. In the TXG video, it seems like Matt was getting higher launch/spin out of the new versions. So far it looks like the slightly tweaked P790 formula is a step in the right direction for these.

Does anybody know if there are any actual differences on the UDI though? Is it basically just a continuation of the regular irons into a 2-iron loft?

Thanks for the writeup @Jman! Not really liking the thicker top-line on the new version, but everything else about them seems like an improvment. In the TXG video, it seems like Matt was getting higher launch/spin out of the new versions. So far it looks like the slightly tweaked P790 formula is a step in the right direction for these.

Does anybody know if there are any actual differences on the UDI though? Is it basically just a continuation of the regular irons into a 2-iron loft?
It’s different. It blends, but it’s not just a part of the set. Has less tungsten in it than the 790 long irons as well, the profile is one aimed right at their Tour staff where the 790’s will not get any Tour play really.

The thicker looking top line stands out to me more in the UDI. In the irons, it might actually be thinner, and then balanced towards equal visual with the squarer edges. Those new squarer edges do look really nice from the back too. They look nicer in hand (bag, ultimately) to me, just don't love it over the ball. They're not really meant for me though, so others could love it.

The UDI I do play though, and it seems a little more separate in design from the irons in little ways

One thing that annoys me with this launch is the fact that they keep the name the same. That just makes it so confusing to be able to know the difference between the 3 different versions. I just love it when branding is completely unique.

One thing that annoys me with this launch is the fact that they keep the name the same. That just makes it so confusing to be able to know the difference between the 3 different versions. I just love it when branding is completely unique.
Yup, hence the fun I had in the article. :p:LOL:

Yup, hence the fun I had in the article. :p:LOL:
Yea exactly. P 890, P990, I don't care how or what it's named, but man what a beast. It creates an issue jsut across the board, for anyone that wants to resale them, I just don't understand the strategic decision to ever do this type of thing.

I like the P770 pretty well. I'd bet these would make a combo set worthy of the ZX5/ZX7. Not in the market but if the mood changes I'll give them a look for sure. (I can honestly say I am the anti-Taylormade guy) but this set intrigues me.

Also, this finish, is the best they’ve done on an iron in a long time imo.

It’s different. It blends, but it’s not just a part of the set. Has less tungsten in it than the 790 long irons as well, the profile is one aimed right at their Tour staff where the 790’s will not get any Tour play really.

The UDI I do play though, and it seems a little more separate in design from the irons in little ways

Thank you both! Was never sure if the UDI was basically the same as the regular long irons.

Does anybody play the UDI on tour? I think I'd prefer the regular 3 or 4 iron in the utility spot.

Thank you both! Was never sure if the UDI was basically the same as the regular long irons.

Does anybody play the UDI on tour? I think I'd prefer the regular 3 or 4 iron in the utility spot.
Itll make several bags, likely replacing the SIM UDI in some.

Itll make several bags, likely replacing the SIM UDI in some.
I'm trying to think who of the recognizable guys is still playing one? Lot of higher lofted woods out there right now. Morikawa plays a 770 3i (which I love), Rors a 760 3i, .. Can you think of one of the bigger names playing a UDI right now?

I'm trying to think who of the recognizable guys is still playing one? Lot of higher lofted woods out there right now. Morikawa plays a 770 3i (which I love), Rors a 760 3i, .. Can you think of one of the bigger names playing a UDI right now?
They rotate in. It’s always a design that gets play for them on Tour. As has always been the case, it’s on a course by course and situational basis.

i did like these during both of my fittings (the previous version)...but nothing has moved the 565's out.

Hit the new P790's yesterday, admittedly with the stock DG105 stiff shaft which isn't for me.

Peak heights were VERY consistent from 4 iron through to PW. Low CG works its magic in the long irons in particular, the ball just LAUNCHES so easily.

WIth the right shaft and ball combination I anticipate most golfers will find a combiation that allows them to consistently hold greens.

Those lining up for a fitting with their low spin tour balls and DGX100 shafts and expecting to see 7000rpm spin 7 irons are missing the point. Look at your peak heights and descent angle, and if absolutely necessary play a different ball. They will stop.

I haven't watched in full or skipped to the data, but he and I tend to have same visual impressions of things (especially with driver/fw faces closed/open/etc), and I heard that at the beginning.

Hit the new P790's yesterday, admittedly with the stock DG105 stiff shaft which isn't for me.

Peak heights were VERY consistent from 4 iron through to PW. Low CG works its magic in the long irons in particular, the ball just LAUNCHES so easily.

WIth the right shaft and ball combination I anticipate most golfers will find a combiation that allows them to consistently hold greens.

Those lining up for a fitting with their low spin tour balls and DGX100 shafts and expecting to see 7000rpm spin 7 irons are missing the point. Look at your peak heights and descent angle, and if absolutely necessary play a different ball. They will stop.
That's cool to hear about the launch - something at least from the first iteration of the clubs was a bit of a challenge for people.

How was the sound?

Back