TaylorMade P790 and P790 Ti Irons

BigDill;n8898489 said:
Molten I think that the VSS addition to the DG 105 shafts may be the most understated improvement with these clubs. The more I play, the more my elbow has become sore. I would love to have the VSS feature in my current DG 105s, and that alone, to me, would be worth the price of the 2019 version of the P790 over the 2017 version.

I completely agree that it is an EXCELLENT addition. Both stock shafts have some measure of vibration dampening and I love it. The VSS still gives plenty of feel and feedback but with less wear and tear on your body. So...when’s the fitting?!

Molten;n8898506 said:
I completely agree that it is an EXCELLENT addition. Both stock shafts have some measure of vibration dampening and I love it. The VSS still gives plenty of feel and feedback but with less wear and tear on your body. So...when’s the fitting?!

Haha. If I did make the jump, I would have my eyes on the P790 Ti.

BigDill;n8898513 said:
Haha. If I did make the jump, I would have my eyes on the P790 Ti.

Balllllllller status. I completely co-sign. And will co-sign the mortgage necessary to buy them.

Molten;n8898519 said:
Balllllllller status. I completely co-sign. And will co-sign the mortgage necessary to buy them.

It may be a while, the THP fairy has blessed me with a new opportunity to try out some great equipment in November.

I’m getting these altered to better fit me. The extended tryout was a massive success and impressed me more than I expected.

Who else is jumping in and giving these a real chance this fall?

Molten;n8903697 said:
I’m getting these altered to better fit me. The extended tryout was a massive success and impressed me more than I expected.

Who else is jumping in and giving these a real chance this fall?

What do you think they are giving you that takes over from KING F9?

JB;n8903706 said:
What do you think they are giving you that takes over from KING F9?

I'd say they perform pretty similarly as far as launch and ball speed go. The 790s spin a bit more but the F9s are slightly more consistent left and right misses. Making a nice divot is a bit easier with these, for whatever that is worth. I haven't committed either way but I want to get these fit to my height and let them go head to head.

Molten;n8903786 said:
I'd say they perform pretty similarly as far as launch and ball speed go. The 790s spin a bit more but the F9s are slightly more consistent left and right misses. Making a nice divot is a bit easier with these, for whatever that is worth. I haven't committed either way but I want to get these fit to my height and let them go head to head.

Looking forward to your comparisons and thoughts.

The AW was delivered today! Anyone get an order in yet?

Looking forward to your comparisons and thoughts.

a little update on this - my club work was delayed due to some travel by the repair guy. So this is on hold until October.

but I got another round in and they continue to impress. Divots are crisp, thin is forgiving, flight is penetrating. The only thing I wish I saw more of was forgiveness high on the face. Coming out of wet rough I’ve seen some balls that just fall out of the sky. Wet rough is eating my lunch

a little update on this - my club work was delayed due to some travel by the repair guy. So this is on hold until October.

but I got another round in and they continue to impress. Divots are crisp, thin is forgiving, flight is penetrating. The only thing I wish I saw more of was forgiveness high on the face. Coming out of wet rough I’ve seen some balls that just fall out of the sky. Wet rough is eating my lunch

I struggled a bit with the thin shot with these, so hearing you are having success, is good to know.

I struggled a bit with the thin shot with these, so hearing you are having success, is good to know.

maybe a few lost yards and lower launch but the result has commonly been better than expected. The sound is a bit more hollow low but not terrible

maybe a few lost yards and lower launch but the result has commonly been better than expected. The sound is a bit more hollow low but not terrible

Good to hear. I was getting some weird numbers, but as mentioned somewhere, I have only tested the 7 iron vs your real world application.

After way to long of a break, these babies are headed out with hopes of a great round. They are responsible for the lowest round I’ve had this year, the third lowest round, and the second highest. So yeah, high hopes but I’m really liking the looks of the flight on the short and mid irons a lot. Long irons are good but need some adjustment

After way to long of a break, these babies are headed out with hopes of a great round. They are responsible for the lowest round I’ve had this year, the third lowest round, and the second highest. So yeah, high hopes but I’m really liking the looks of the flight on the short and mid irons a lot. Long irons are good but need some adjustment

Thats fun. Out of your sets, I preferred the KING F9s on a personal level, because of the way they sat on the turf, but both are strong sets. Those that liked the previous version are going to enjoy these as well.

Thats fun. Out of your sets, I preferred the KING F9s on a personal level, because of the way they sat on the turf, but both are strong sets. Those that liked the previous version are going to enjoy these as well.
Completely agree. I’m still excited to test these two head to head (maybe with one more competitor) one I can get some club work done. The long irons of the F9 are better for me right now, mid irons are about even, and I prefer the p790 short irons right now. I may end up with the goofiest of all time split set until I can get a full bag fitting

Completely agree. I’m still excited to test these two head to head (maybe with one more competitor) one I can get some club work done. The long irons of the F9 are better for me right now, mid irons are about even, and I prefer the p790 short irons right now. I may end up with the goofiest of all time split set until I can get a full bag fitting

Haha. I have been known to go nuts with mixing the sets myself.

Spent some time with TaylorMade last week and this iron was a topic of conversation. How veering too far from the original would have been hard, but also that the original will be harder and harder to find in stores pretty soon.

Spent some time with TaylorMade last week and this iron was a topic of conversation. How veering too far from the original would have been hard, but also that the original will be harder and harder to find in stores pretty soon.
Can you share why? That seems strange to pull them entirely without a price drop

Can you share why? That seems strange to pull them entirely without a price drop

Its not a club being pulled. Inventory is incredibly low at most places.

Its not a club being pulled. Inventory is incredibly low at most places.
That’s great news. They sold well and managed inventory well. That’s real positive for TM.

That’s great news. They sold well and managed inventory well. That’s real positive for TM.

A friend on the retail side told me they are managing inventory incredibly well right now and the best for the company in over a decade. Release timing was perfect.

The pairing with the DG 105 is a great stock shaft. The ball flight is so fun, flighted or high launching on command (assuming I swing right). They continue to impress.

I added the F9 4 iron back in the bag and I’ll admit the P790 doesn’t sound nearly as good as the F9s

The pairing with the DG 105 is a great stock shaft. The ball flight is so fun, flighted or high launching on command (assuming I swing right). They continue to impress.

I added the F9 4 iron back in the bag and I’ll admit the P790 doesn’t sound nearly as good as the F9s

That is an interesting take and frankly the same one I had. I think the KING F9 sounds great.

That is an interesting take and frankly the same one I had. I think the KING F9 sounds great.
My pairing today had the P790, F9, AP2, and G700 irons. My god is there a big spectrum of sound when hit one after the other.

Back