TaylorMade P790 Black Irons

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
384938-TM21IRN_TA153_P790-19 Hotshot-BLK_LYD_01_v1-2dd669-large-1618253539.jpg

Last edited:
So same P790 just in black? Would that seem to push back the refresh, or not really affect that?

Feels like this should have been when they released this current head, if this is going to be a thing. But okay

Didn’t TaylorMade release the black version of the first generation of the P790 later in its cycle? My memory is that it did, but I could definitely be wrong.

This is way too late in the game for these. Way too late! I’m a little tired of black being the refresh - it’s such a great color for a club but you have to wait until it’s older. I can never wait that long.

But what about those raw irons.... ;) (pic courtesy of jman, way back when.) They were so beautiful irl.

tapatalk_1560213180103.jpeg

Black finishes are so great and I would gladly pay an upcharge to get them. I've always wondered why they are always released at a later (in this case, much later) date than the primary silver/satin/chrome finishes

Didn't the new p790s just come out in 2020? Or was it 2019?

Hard to believe if it were 2020 that a refresh is due, but then again we were lucky to get another apex lineup just 2 years after the last

The original black p790s were kind of ugly in person. Wasn’t really a fan. I would love to to see them release a copper finish. Those would look🔥🔥🔥🔥

Didn't the new p790s just come out in 2020? Or was it 2019?

Hard to believe if it were 2020 that a refresh is due, but then again we were lucky to get another apex lineup just 2 years after the last
The second and current generation of the P790s were released in the fall of 2019. If TaylorMade sticks with the two year cycle, a version would be due in late summer/early autumn.

how can I do this to my first ten p790s?

paging @Jman
Send them somewhere to get their plating removed. Only way. Those are from a TM R&D guys personal bag, one of a kind.

Send them somewhere to get their plating removed. Only way. Those are from a TM R&D guys personal bag, one of a kind.
Ahh ok. Thanks!

Interesting that the demand is that high for black irons? :unsure:

If I recall correctly the previous P790 black irons were a late life cycle slightly limited release as well. I have not heard anything regarding a new releases though..

If I recall correctly the previous P790 black irons were a late life cycle slightly limited release as well. I have not heard anything regarding a new releases though..
They were. This is not a new pattern.

These just became official.

384938-TM21IRN_TA153_P790-19 Hotshot-BLK_LYD_01_v1-2dd669-large-1618253539.jpg

A couple of other pictures.

Timing is interesting. Especially at that price tag. For $1700, I wish DBM was mandatory in black finish.

They are stunning looking, just not sure I would venture into that price tag. But, I bet the are a hit to many.

Big eye roll from me. The golf industry has moved past new finishes being treated like a "release". Seems most of the OEMs are doing it in the name of "choices!".

Also, PVD on irons? Hasn't worked in the past, doesn't work now, and won't work in the future.

Beautiful irons. But the PVD is a hard sell to me. The DBM coloring on the PTx Pros I have are amazing. But every set of 2017 P790s I have seen in the black finish look like they have been interrogated at a governmental black site.

That is my exact aesthetic, and would fit in with my gear like a charm. I don't know how many others out there would agree - white is a bold choice, and I don't think many at all will buy them knowing they're going to look beat with a quickness. I don't get it.

First, I really like the black finish, in all clubs. But these, what I'll call secondary releases always seem to be only about money. I hope I'm wrong, but the black version always comes out 6 mos or a year later. I first noticed with my apex cf16s. Wanted the black, but nothing wrong with mine, so no black.

Back